Photo

Should the New Jersey Devils Consider Going After Alexander Semin?

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#341 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

ToddCordell: Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, when asked if they've been talking with the #NJDevils: "I can't comment (on that)."

Take that as you will but personally, when I hear "I can't comment" or "no comment" I feel that means that something is brewing...

But perhaps that is just me looking too much into it.

You're looking too much into it. The same "No comment" is the same answer he's given to other bloggers from other teams. The only thing its better than is "The Devils or Semin is not interested", and thats the only thing Im holding onto in respect to Semin coming here. There's been nothing but speculation on who can use him and nothing substantial as to our interest.

Semin has no incentive to sign right now. I wouldnt be surprised if he's not signed till sometime later in August or at least not until Doan is off the market.

#342 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

ToddCordell: Alex Semin's agent, Mark Gandler, when asked if they've been talking with the #NJDevils: "I can't comment (on that)."

Take that as you will but personally, when I hear "I can't comment" or "no comment" I feel that means that something is brewing...

But perhaps that is just me looking too much into it.

This does leave the possibility there & that he is respecting Lou's Status Quo philosophy. But I aint going to be breaking out the celebratory box of doanuts just yet.

I thought it was just waiting on him getting back from Mother Russia, is he back in the USA yet??

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#343 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

This does leave the possibility there & that he is respecting Lou's Status Quo philosophy. But I aint going to be breaking out the celebratory box of doanuts just yet.

I thought it was just waiting on him getting back from Mother Russia, is he back in the USA yet??

DOANuts!!! :yea:

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#344 giodude

giodude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Anybody hear anything new on Semin now that Nash is a Rag?

I hope there is no news because he's out drinking vodka with Kovy :evil:
Posted Image

#345 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

The lack of rumors connecting this guy to any team is frustrating. I want something to happen already!

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#346 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,189 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

Well now that the Flyers have been burned on Weber, Suter and Parise they'll probably throw crazy money at Semin and/or Doan since they've clearly got money burning a hole in their pocket.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 24 July 2012 - 10:51 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#347 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Well now that the Flyers have been burned on Weber, Suter and Parise they'll probably throw crazy money at Semin and/or Doan since they've clearly got money burning a hole in their pocket.

I wonder if they'll turn towards the long awaited/rumored/speculated Bobby Ryan trade?

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#348 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

Flyers are trying to complete their fat chick at prom trilogy and get denied by all available free agents this summer, and they don't even have a great personality.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#349 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

Flyers are trying to complete their fat chick at prom trilogy and get denied by all available free agents this summer, and they don't even have a great personality.

Then they'll sign some classless goons and call it "Just going with our friends."

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#350 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Don't know if its been said in here yet, but semin is apparently asking for 7 mil a year. I wouldn't be upset with that salary number, if it was a short 3-4 year deal, don't know about you guys.

#351 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

Then they'll sign some classless goons and call it "Just going with our friends."

What if they Flyers signed Sean Avery :X :ECW: :rofl:

and I wouldn't mind signing Semin to a 7 mil a year contract for 3/4 years

#352 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Don't know if its been said in here yet, but semin is apparently asking for 7 mil a year. I wouldn't be upset with that salary number, if it was a short 3-4 year deal, don't know about you guys.

Financial issues aside, I could live with something close to 3 years/$21 million.

That puts us right around where you could expect the cap to be after the new CBA, and that's without taking into consideration the net cap savings we might get as a result of trading a defenseman. While Henrique, Zajac (if we can keep him), and maybe Clarkson are due for raises next year, that should be roughly offset by the loss of Zidlicky's cap hit plus the lower cap hits that we'll probably have for Elias and Zubrus.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#353 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Post of the MONTH..

#354 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus
Elias-Henrique-Sykora
Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

If the Devils don't get Semin or trade for a top 6 winger I am expecting this to be the opening night lineup. I'd think if we make no other moves - Skykora will be back due to the contract. That's not that great considering Elias and Sykora would have to keep up with Henrique but it's much better then having to see Barch in the lineup as some have suggested. The thought of Barch on the fourth line for the foreseeable future scares me. Also, I have no clue why PDB would break up the chemistry of CBGB.

Edited by TheMazz, 25 July 2012 - 11:53 AM.

n2eg.jpg

#355 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,860 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Sykora on the 2nd line scares me.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#356 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well if the 4th line is more than just a fluke, that lineup wouldn't be terrible. At least I would feel very good about the lines defensivley. The only question mark would be the 3rd line, I dont really know how good josefson and tedenby are defensivley.

On offense, I think a line of kovy/zajac/zubrus has the potential to put up alot of points, but I don't expect sykora to have a 20 point goal season, and I don't expect elias to have a repeat of last season either. Really for us to be succesful with that lineup, the 3rd line needs to be a regular scorer, I just don't see us getting anything but spotty/streaky goals out of the 2nd line. And while our 4th line was great in the playoffs, I don't see them being consistant scorers in the regular season.

The bottom half of our top 6 is going to lack scoring imo, that has me a little worried. Henrique is a great playmaker in the making, but I don't see him as a go to goal scorer, and the age of the line is going to take its toll over the course of the season. Bottom line is, something needs to be done. I don't think we need a parise caliber player to get back into the swing of things, but we def need more scoring. I mean the one thing this team really lacked is goal scoring, I mean I know we actually scored more than the average team this year, but our goals felt so hard earned, half the team shoots into the goalies pads. We need some guy that can beat the goalie on a wrister, we need semin. I think with a guy like semin, playing with 100percent effort, we are a better team than the one we had last season.

That was ranty and a bit disorganized but those are my views :D

#357 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

I have no clue why PDB would break up the chemistry of CBGB.

The regular season is not the playoffs. Anyone expecting CBGB together all year long is mistaken IMO. Barch will be playing some and if we don't sign anyone else, I expect to see guys like Bernier or Carter getting time on a higher line. There will be injuries throughout the year and that will change things up at times as well.

I expect to see Clarkson on the 2nd or 1st line a lot this coming season unless someone like Semin was brought on and even if Sykora is re-signed.

#358 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

I expect to see Clarkson on the 2nd or 1st line a lot this coming season unless someone like Semin was brought on and even if Sykora is re-signed.

This exact scenario scares the sh!t out of me. Clarkaround is a good 3rd line player but, let's be honest, he can't skate and has no business being on a 1st or 2nd line. He protects the puck well along the boards, isn't afraid to go to the net and bang in rebounds, throws a few good hits, and scored some of the luckiest goals last season. However, his skill set is extremely limited and it wasn't until last season tht he figured out you can get a shot on goal without trying a wrap around.
Posted Image

#359 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus
Elias-Henrique-Sykora
Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

If the Devils don't get Semin or trade for a top 6 winger I am expecting this to be the opening night lineup. I'd think if we make no other moves - Skykora will be back due to the contract. That's not that great considering Elias and Sykora would have to keep up with Henrique but it's much better then having to see Barch in the lineup as some have suggested. The thought of Barch on the fourth line for the foreseeable future scares me. Also, I have no clue why PDB would break up the chemistry of CBGB.

I would like to see:

Kovy-Henrique-Zubrus
Elias-Zajac-Clarkie
Tedenby-Josefson-Sykora
CBGB

Or some variation resembling that...

I would like to see Kovy, Henrique and Elias all on the same one, but that severely weakens the 2nd line....

Signing Semin would make me alot more optimistic about our crop of forwards...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#360 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,562 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

This exact scenario scares the sh!t out of me. Clarkaround is a good 3rd line player but, let's be honest, he can't skate and has no business being on a 1st or 2nd line. He protects the puck well along the boards, isn't afraid to go to the net and bang in rebounds, throws a few good hits, and scored some of the luckiest goals last season. However, his skill set is extremely limited and it wasn't until last season tht he figured out you can get a shot on goal without trying a wrap around.

I agree that it's far from ideal, but I don't think this is a big problem in and of itself. Clarkson isn't going to score 30 again, but it wouldn't be odd to me if he scored 20 given that role. The problem is that if there are any injuries, right now as constituted the Devils have nothing. They don't have anyone in the minors who looks like he can play. I trust this will change, but when Lou mentioned players from the 4th line playing on higher lines, it made me scared that it won't.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users