62 replies to this topic

#41 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Yes, but this is where the differences between the Kovy and Nash situations come to light. Atlanta had to trade Kovalchuk. They were going to lose him via free agency and they had so much going on internally that they almost had no choice. No one wanted to pay an expensive price for a rental like Kovalchuk. When was the last time a player of that caliber was available as a rental? Mix that in with a GM that doesn't do his research, and you find yourself trading for a defenseman in Oduya that had 1 point in 21 games, Bergfors who couldn't stick in the lineup, Cormier who almost killed someone, and a draft pick. Cormier is turning out to be not much and the ThrasherJets don't even have Bergfors or Oduya anymore.

Howson has the opportunity to keep Nash for as long as he wants. Once Semin signs somewhere he might get a few phone calls with GM's that are a little more desperate having lost out on Parise, Suter, Semin, AND possibly Ryan. I would also think right now that Bobby Ryan is bring in better trade offers given his age and smaller cap hit.

I'd be willing to go up to Greene, Tedenby, Gelinas, and a 1st for Nash OR Bobby Ryan plus a 2nd rounder from that team... Lou has proven he likes to get a draft pick back in a trade where he gives one up. But the fact that they are looking for Couture, Skinner, Kreider/Stepan, and players like that... the Devils might not even get any consideration unless Henrique is included or if the Devils are the only team left with an offer and Semin is signed somewhere and Bobby Ryan was traded.

Like I said, not perfectly analogous to the Kovy trade, but Howson would be hard pressed to keep a disgruntled Nash around, same as Anaheim would with Ryan. It doesn't mean he HAS to, but it certainly lowers the asking price.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#42 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Anaheim and Columbus have the luxury of waiting until camp in September to trade these guys. A team will eventually get desperate and up their offer.

#43 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,366 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Anaheim and Columbus have the luxury of waiting until camp in September to trade these guys. A team will eventually get desperate and up their offer.

I'm thinking trade deadline. If Columbus improves, maybe Nash backs off his request...if the Blue Jackets still struggle, then maybe enough teams get involved where Columbus gets a little bidding war going as the deadline nears. That's a risk, in that Columbus might ultimately not get much more than they would right now, but it doesn't seem like anyone's willing to step up and offer much...what do they really have to lose? And sorry Nash, you signed the deal, YOU chose to stay with the Blue Jackets...suck it up.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 10 July 2012 - 10:19 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#44 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

I'm thinking trade deadline. If Columbus improves, maybe Nash backs off his request...if the Blue Jackets still struggle, then maybe enough teams get involved where Columbus gets a little bidding war going. That's a risk, in that Columbus might ultimately not get much more than they would right now, but it doesn't seem like anyone's willing to step and offer much...what do they really have to lose? And sorry Nash, you signed the deal, YOU chose to stay with the Blue Jackets...suck it up.

True, I remember Nash telling the media that he was loyal and wanted to stay with the team that drafted him and paid him and helped him grow as a player. That's being tested now.

#45 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

I'm thinking trade deadline. If Columbus improves, maybe Nash backs off his request...if the Blue Jackets still struggle, then maybe enough teams get involved where Columbus gets a little bidding war going as the deadline nears. That's a risk, in that Columbus might ultimately not get much more than they would right now, but it doesn't seem like anyone's willing to step up and offer much...what do they really have to lose? And sorry Nash, you signed the deal, YOU chose to stay with the Blue Jackets...suck it up.

yea but didnt he already also came out and said he wants out? I think Columbus wants him out.

True, I remember Nash telling the media that he was loyal and wanted to stay with the team that drafted him and paid him and helped him grow as a player. That's being tested now.

Parise also said he was a loyal. lol
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#46 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

We're not getting Nash.

We're not getting Semin.

We're not getting Doan.

To think of any of these players coming to NJ is a pipe dream.

Oh boy, now we sound like Minnesota two weeks ago.

Kovy said similar words the month before he was traded,

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#47 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

Is this the end yet? I've been holding my laughter to the best of my ability.

As it's already been mentioned... Nash is in his prime, and signed long termed.
He is not Kovy. He is not an expiring contract that the CBJ needs to dump to get any value out of.

I could very much see them keeping Nash if they don't get what they want... Nash will be pissy, but winning changes a mood quickly.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#48 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:22 PM

I could very much see them keeping Nash if they don't get what they want... Nash will be pissy, but winning changes a mood quickly.

As I said earlier in the thread - imo the only reason they've got such a big asking price is that they're ready to keep the guy. If they get a stupid return then they'll move him.

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,547 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:34 PM

Is this the end yet? I've been holding my laughter to the best of my ability.

As it's already been mentioned... Nash is in his prime, and signed long termed.
He is not Kovy. He is not an expiring contract that the CBJ needs to dump to get any value out of.

They will eventually have to move him. It may just come after the new salary cap is determined in the new CBA - if I were a team interested in Nash, it'd change my opinion a lot if the cap were $60M versus $65M.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#50 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

We're not getting Nash.

We're not getting Semin.

We're not getting Doan.

To think of any of these players coming to NJ is a pipe dream.

Pay them enough and they will play here (or in Nash's case, include enough top players/prospects/picks in the trade offer and get him to agree to the deal). I highly doubt Semin would turn down the contract we offered Zach if it was presented to him by Lou. It would make no sense to make him that offer, but if you want him bad enough, and show him the cash, he'll take it.
Posted Image

#51 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

They will eventually have to move him.

But why? because the media has deemed Nash and Columbus need to move on?
There is a lot of pressure on Nash to be the end all, be all. If they can get a good team around him, I don't see why they have to part with him.

If CBJ can't get what they want, or reasonably uncompromising offer... I don't see why CBJ needs to pick the best of subpar deals. I don't see Nash holding out and taking a suspension. I don't see him limited his trade value by not really putting effort in. If CBJ starts off hot, you'll forget these trade talks ever occurred.

I do believe it's more likely someone who overbid for him... eventually this offseason. But I wouldn't be shocked to see Nash stay. Much how Nash was supposed to be out at the deadline last year...

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#52 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Nash is a beast. He'd be a big upgrade from Parise imo, though I can't see how we can pull that off.

Edited by njdevsftw, 10 July 2012 - 01:41 PM.

Posted Image

#53 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Disregard Nash. Acquire Ryan.

#54 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

Disregard Nash. Acquire Ryan.

http://www.the700lev...?blockID=729056

“I heard Anaheim was a little overwhelmed with offers and they only took four seriously, but none of the teams were mentioned to me other than Philly,” Ryan said. “Everybody wants to play in your hometown, but it would be tough because a lot of expectations come when you're put into a situation like that. For me, if I'm moved, Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me.”

As a personal rule of thumb, if you consider Philly an "ideal" place to play, you're not the kind of player I want on my team.

Edited by ben00rs, 10 July 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#55 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,547 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

But why? because the media has deemed Nash and Columbus need to move on?
There is a lot of pressure on Nash to be the end all, be all. If they can get a good team around him, I don't see why they have to part with him.

If CBJ can't get what they want, or reasonably uncompromising offer... I don't see why CBJ needs to pick the best of subpar deals. I don't see Nash holding out and taking a suspension. I don't see him limited his trade value by not really putting effort in. If CBJ starts off hot, you'll forget these trade talks ever occurred.

I do believe it's more likely someone who overbid for him... eventually this offseason. But I wouldn't be shocked to see Nash stay. Much how Nash was supposed to be out at the deadline last year...

The longer this goes on, the more likely it is that Nash's trade value decreases, not increases. Yes, Nash doesn't have a ton of leverage, but neither does Columbus with trades. If the cap goes down significantly, here's what could happen - A: Nash's contract becomes prohibitively expensive B: The players Columbus might want for Nash, young and cheap, become more attractive to high-spending teams C: There will be players available due to amnesty buyouts who could be attractive D: A lockout might dry up the Nash trade market - teams may be afraid to rock the boat with a big deal knowing they don't have much time to get team chemistry in place

#56 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

While we're on the topic of trades that will never happen...

Someone called into the sports talk radio show here in Nashville, talking about both Suter/Parise leaving for Minny. Thinking that the same will happen with Weber, they proposed this trade:

Weber to NJ

Henrique and Larsson and pick(s) to Nashville.

Even if you could get Weber to sign a long term deal before hitting free agency (which is unlikely), there's no way I'm doing that if I were Lou.

#57 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Someone called into the sports talk radio show here in Nashville, talking about both Suter/Parise leaving for Minny. Thinking that the same will happen with Weber, they proposed this trade:

Weber to NJ

Even if you could get Weber to sign a long term deal before hitting free agency (which is unlikely), there's no way I'm doing that if I were Lou.

i honestly probably would not do that if we were considering talent alone

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,547 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

Weber to NJ

Wouldn't do it for either Henrique or Larsson and even if Weber were signed to a market-rate long-term deal.

#59 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

http://www.the700lev...?blockID=729056

As a personal rule of thumb, if you consider Philly an "ideal" place to play, you're not the kind of player I want on my team.

Not to mention when he becomes a FA everyone knows where he will end up. Why pay a lot for him now in a trade only to have him for a couple of years? He can, and will, jump ship to Filthy at the first opportunity.

815631765.gif

#60 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Nash has an NMC anyways and reports have said that he has given the Jackets a list of teams he'd play for - none of which are the Devils. The report I read gave a douche list in which basically Nash only had teams that were on huge stages: (Pitt, Bos, Phi, NYR, etc..)

Edited by ben00rs, 10 July 2012 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users