#21 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

Arbitration isn't going away.

I wonder if they will try to change to baseball-style arbitration where the team names a number, the player names a number, and the arbitrator selects one of those numbers. In hockey, the arbitrator can award anything within the range that the team and player pick, leading players to ask for the moon and teams to ask for nothing.

I can see why the owners would want it gone, it really has only MOSTLY worked to the benefit of the NHLPA. And it would be "something" that the players could "give up" that won't hurt too bad.

That is an interesting point. It could definitely pull the players $ down to earth to benefit the owners, and still raise the players pay in probably the majority of the cases. As long as they made a reasonable request that is. So I could also see that as a negotiated "give" on the part of the NHLPA and the owners.

I'm gettin Posted Image'd a lot lately!

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#22 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

And when do the fans get the chance to negotiate? Players make too much, while the owners risk it all for them...something's gotta give.

#23 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:42 PM

And when do the fans get the chance to negotiate? Players make too much, while the owners risk it all for them...something's gotta give.

It would be nice if we had some say but really we are just paying customers and these are labor negotiations. When do customers ever get involved in labor negotiations?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#24 ringtwins

ringtwins

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

When the paying customers find the labor practices of a particular entity to be abhorrent?
You do know that Devil fans are so used to being in the playoffs that people save their money for the later rounds, right? Triumph

#25 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

When the paying customers find the labor practices of a particular entity to be abhorrent?

Do you have any examples of when something like that gave customers the chance to sit down at the negotiating table with the employees and employers?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Customers vote with money. If the labor practices are abhorrent enough to drive business away, something changes, one way or the other.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,832 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Customers vote with money. If the labor practices are abhorrent enough to drive business away, something changes, one way or the other.

This exactly. It's the only vote we have, really. And sometimes it actually gets used. Baseball was pretty sad after 1994.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#28 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,034 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I am one of the 1994 baseball fans who left. Hockey is trying my patience if they do another lockout/walkout.

#29 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

I am one of the 1994 baseball fans who left. Hockey is trying my patience if they do another lockout/walkout.

I only started watching baseball again when McGuire re-up'd with the Cards for a discount when he coulda got paid elsewhere. Then was rewarded with RoidWars.

Now I only watch compelling games or boredom busters til September.

I can't lie and say a lockout would stop me from watching hockey when it returned. I'm an ice junkie and would be watching whatever game I could AS SOON as I could. Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#30 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I'm right behind ya, and its not about a lockout, its more about ticket prices and the cost to watch games on TV etc
I dont have to pay to watch Jet or Giant games

#31 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,408 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

This exactly. It's the only vote we have, really. And sometimes it actually gets used. Baseball was pretty sad after 1994.

And then they needed Cal Ripken plus juiced balls/juiced players to get it back. While hockey never really lost 'any' steam after canceling an entire season.

Hockey is what it is, it doesn't have casual fans other than maybe the Crosby a**-kissers in Pittsburgh. That's why baseball can lose a World Series and it's like a bomb was dropped but hockey fans for better and worse stick by their sport. It's the only real advantage of having a much smaller base to begin with, it doesn't waver as much.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#32 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

And then they needed Cal Ripken plus juiced balls/juiced players to get it back. While hockey never really lost 'any' steam after canceling an entire season.

Hockey is what it is, it doesn't have casual fans other than maybe the Crosby a**-kissers in Pittsburgh. That's why baseball can lose a World Series and it's like a bomb was dropped but hockey fans for better and worse stick by their sport. It's the only real advantage of having a much smaller base to begin with, it doesn't waver as much.

I'm sorry but if they lockout again, I will not be able to watch hockey for the pure principle of it. We fans stick with this sport like you say, through thick and thin and we don't need to be sh!t on again. If there is a lockout, don't expect me back so soon.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#33 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

If there is a lockout, don't expect me back so soon.

So, you're saying there's actually an upside? Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#34 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

Posted Image............Posted Image.......................................Posted Image

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users