aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Amazingly deep draft : http://www.hockeydb....t/nhl2003e.html

Compare to 2002 for example: http://www.hockeydb....t/nhl2002e.html

The '03 second round had a lot of good hits as well (Weber, Carle, Bergeron, Backes, Errikson, Backes, Jimmy Howard...)

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#22 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

This really just makes me nervous about when Lou retires.. 3 years with a bad GM could kill us and we need to be good to do well at the gate

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#23 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Zach was a great pick but... In hindsight, Getzlaf and Perry are both better players, were drafted after him, and by the same team. Anaheim killed that draft and eventually won a cup in large because of it. Sure, a certain #27 had something to do with that too.

#24 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:14 PM

Zach was a great pick but... In hindsight, Getzlaf and Perry are both better players, were drafted after him, and by the same team. Anaheim killed that draft and eventually won a cup in large because of it. Sure, a certain #27 had something to do with that too.

The Ducks hit that draft out of the park. The Ducks coming off their Stanley Cup appearance had two picks at 19 and 29 and nailed both of them. I still don't think either are better than Zach Parise at all. You can make a case for it, with Perry having that ridiculous season last year, somehow winning the MVP, but he followed it up with a pretty disappointing one this year. Getzlaf has been in a funk for a few years now.

The Perry pick was a gem though. I don't think many people had him going in the first round at all. It would have been one of the most insane reaches that turned out right in the NHL. He was ranked 35th among NA skaters.

...And Pronger probably had a bigger role in that win than Niedermayer.

Edited by devilsrule33, 17 July 2012 - 07:23 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,619 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Perry is not better than Parise. Getzlaf it's debatable.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

Perry is not better than Parise. Getzlaf it's debatable.

Perry will eat Parise's lunch.

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,619 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

Perry will eat Parise's lunch.

It's nice to play with Getzlaf, who is better than any forward Parise ever got to play with in New Jersey besides Elias in 2007-08.

#28 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Perry can also run through a wall to score a goal and can score from above the circles. Parise cannot. Zach is the little engine that almost could. Very good player but has limitations on the offensive side of things.

#29 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Perry can also run through a wall to score a goal and can score from above the circles. Parise cannot. Zach is the little engine that almost could. Very good player but has limitations on the offensive side of things.

Parise: 502 games 194-216-410 0.82 PPG

Perry: 530 games 205-224-429 0.81 PPG

And that's with the added benefit of playing with a guy who you think is better than Parise, so that must mean 2x better than Zajac. And that's also with the added benefit of playing with great PP players like Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne etc.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#30 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Parise: 502 games 194-216-410 0.82 PPG

Perry: 530 games 205-224-429 0.81 PPG

And that's with the added benefit of playing with a guy who you think is better than Parise, so that must mean 2x better than Zajac. And that's also with the added benefit of playing with great PP players like Pronger, Niedermayer, Selanne etc.

I'm not even looking at their numbers. I'm only considering their physical talents. Zach's numbers would be better if he was physically stronger. It's funny how it comes back to the original knock on him from the draft. Which still he's an awesome player. He's just not better than the other two players.

#31 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm not even looking at their numbers. I'm only considering their physical talents. Zach's numbers would be better if he was physically stronger. It's funny how it comes back to the original knock on him from the draft. Which still he's an awesome player. He's just not better than the other two players.

Come on...everyone would be better if they were stronger. Zach Parise has far outperformed any concern or knock about him pre-draft. The knock was thinking he'd look like Tedenby out there or something.

Edited by devilsrule33, 17 July 2012 - 07:56 PM.

logokx.jpg

#32 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

I never considered ducks' picks but between the two scf teams the rest of the league should be ashamed we stole so much.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#33 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,786 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

i wont be reading this thread... to me its like looking at picture from you and your ex girlfriends or talk about how you met or listen to the songs you liked....

too soon too soon

www.SterioDesign.com

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,619 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

Zach is strong. He's excellent at getting the puck off other players and keeping it by himself. He just doesn't have a very good shot. He's better than Corey Perry.

#35 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

Come on...everyone would be better if they were stronger. Zach Parise has far outperformed any concern or knock about him pre-draft. The knock was thinking he'd look like Tedenby out there or something.

I never thought of it like a Tedenby like comparison myself. But, I can see that. Zach has defied that. Perry on the other hand is able to muscle his way to the net in cases where Zach cannot.

Zach is strong. He's excellent at getting the puck off other players and keeping it by himself. He just doesn't have a very good shot. He's better than Corey Perry.

Corey Perry can do this as well. He can also bulldoze his way to the net to score. He can also score from anywhere on the ice. He also can stick up for his teammates by punching someone in the face. Perry is the better player.

#36 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:57 PM

???

#37 mackchi

mackchi

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

He's dead to me.

He's dead to me I tell you...
LET'S GO DEVILS!

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,619 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Corey Perry can do this as well. He can also bulldoze his way to the net to score. He can also score from anywhere on the ice. He also can stick up for his teammates by punching someone in the face. Perry is the better player.

If Perry's the better player, he should have substantially more goals/game than Parise. He doesn't. His 'skills' aren't worth more than what Parise can do. And that's why evaluating players by 'skill' is misguided and leads people to conclude that players like Kovalchuk and Nash are better than people like Parise. Sometimes it's not about pure skill, it's about what happens on the ice.

#39 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

If Perry's the better player, he should have substantially more goals/game than Parise. He doesn't. His 'skills' aren't worth more than what Parise can do. And that's why evaluating players by 'skill' is misguided and leads people to conclude that players like Kovalchuk and Nash are better than people like Parise. Sometimes it's not about pure skill, it's about what happens on the ice.

I agree on Perry who is one of the streakiest players in the last few years. I think Kovalchuk is definitely a top ten forward in this league due to his play making abilities. He is not just a big shot and his improved defense and leadership he showed this past season makes him very valuable. When you have guys like Brodeur and Clarkson saying he is one of the best teammates they ever had really says something.

Edited by Zubie#8, 17 July 2012 - 09:30 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#40 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

This is coming from the statman himself... touche, but I don't agree. I like Perry's intangibles better. Perry will grab the bull by the balls and win it for you... Zach is limited offensively and thus he can not grab those proverbial balls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users