44 replies to this topic

#41 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

I agree on Perry who is one of the streakiest players in the last few years. I think Kovalchuk is definitely a top ten forward in this league due to his play making abilities. He is not just a big shot and his improved defense and leadership he showed this past season makes him very valuable. When you have guys like Brodeur and Clarkson saying he is one of the best teammates they ever had really says something.

Kovy is a talented player so he will at times make a playmaking type play because of that talent but he is not a playmaker. When he is at his best he is a shoot-first player. He got away from that playing with Parise and I think will get back to that now that he is gone and I think he will score more goals.

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,546 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

This is coming from the statman himself... touche, but I don't agree. I like Perry's intangibles better. Perry will grab the bull by the balls and win it for you... Zach is limited offensively and thus he can not grab those proverbial balls.

Stats are literally about things that happen on the ice. I don't make up numbers that count great locker room speeches, statements to the media, or anything like that. Stats measure on-ice events. And in on-ice events, Perry is not a demonstrably better scorer than Parise. So Perry can have the great shot, or 'take the game by the balls' or whatever, but I'll take Parise.

Edited by Triumph, 17 July 2012 - 10:07 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Stats are literally about things that happen on the ice. I don't make up numbers that count great locker room speeches, statements to the media, or anything like that. Stats measure on-ice events. And in on-ice events, Perry is not a demonstrably better scorer than Parise. So Perry can have the great shot, or 'take the game by the balls' or whatever, but I'll take Parise.

He has a 50 goal season with his top centerman on the shelf for some time and a Hart trophy to boot. Those are some stats... Parise big year he had himself great chemistry with his linemates and got help the whole year... Perry carried his team for some time.

#44 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

EDIT: Wrong thread again! :doh1:

Edited by Zubie#8, 18 July 2012 - 04:41 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#45 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Come on, it's obvious the best player from that draft is Brent Burns
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image