256 replies to this topic

#221 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Poile is a very good gm. If any other team in the league is similar to New Jersey, it's Nashville. Have faith in both of these teams!

#222 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

I wonder if Philly knows Shea Weber doesn't play goalie.

#223 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

If I'm Nashville and I don't match, I'm basically deciding to bottom out for the next 4 years to get elite talent. No use hanging on and panic trading those picks for players, it's over.

Someone said it earlier....many people have said the Devils are fine without Parise, but the Predators are done without Suter. Too funny. :doh1: Parise has a much bigger effect on a team than Suter.

Since the lockout, the Devils have put up 101, 107, 99, 106, 103, 81 and 102 points. They made the playoffs 6 of those 7 seasons.
Since the lockout, the Preds have put up 106, 110, 91, 88, 100, 99 and 104 points. They made the playoffs 6 of those 7 seasons.

If they match Weber's contract, I'll take any bets that Nashville will have more points than NJ next year.

#224 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

Someone said it earlier....many people have said the Devils are fine without Parise, but the Predators are done without Suter. Too funny. :doh1: Parise has a much bigger effect on a team than Suter.

Since the lockout, the Devils have put up 101, 107, 99, 106, 103, 81 and 102 points. They made the playoffs 6 of those 7 seasons.
Since the lockout, the Preds have put up 106, 110, 91, 88, 100, 99 and 104 points. They made the playoffs 6 of those 7 seasons.

If they match Weber's contract, I'll take any bets that Nashville will have more points than NJ next year.

A) I seriously doubt the Devils go into next season doing 'nothing' about the two gaping holes in their top nine besides giving Tedenby another shot and re-signing Sykora.
B) Without Suter I think the Preds can survive. Without BOTH Weber and Suter though, in that division? Good luck. As much as losing Zach hurts us, at least the Devils still have a solid defense, capable goalies and some offensive playmakers. Who's Nashville's best player left besides Rinne, Mike Fisher? Martin Erat?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 July 2012 - 07:59 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#225 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

The Devils had also earlier fallen into another superstar winger and tied him up for a billion years. Where is the replacement star defenseman that the Preds already have to cushion the blow? And if they do get one by trade, what is the likelyhood a situation materializes that involves him staying?

Edited by maxpower, 19 July 2012 - 08:03 PM.

#226 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

A) I seriously doubt the Devils go into next season doing 'nothing' about the two gaping holes in their top nine besides giving Tedenby another shot and re-signing Sykora.
B) Without Suter I think the Preds can survive. Without BOTH Weber and Suter though, in that division? Good luck. As much as losing Zach hurts us, at least the Devils still have a solid defense, capable goalies and some offensive playmakers. Who's Nashville's best player left besides Rinne, Mike Fisher? Martin Erat?

Agreed. Losing weber will really hurt Nashville. Another blow to them would be in the fanbase, which was growing at a tremendous rate and had solid momentum.

#227 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

What do you want to wager there? Cause that aint happenin. Posted Image

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#228 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

In. Nashville was already horrible territorially last year. They were bailed out by their power play, luck, and Rinne. I wouldn't count on it continuing.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#229 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:12 AM

wow... In the first 4 seasons, 13 million of the 14 million per season comes from signing bonuses

www.SterioDesign.com

#230 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:34 AM

IMO its more valuable to lock up a strong d-man than a strong goalie...

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#231 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

IMO its more valuable to lock up a strong d-man than a strong goalie...

From what it sounds like, they tried to re-sign Suter throughout the season but he made it clear he was testing the market. I think Poile made a huge mistake last year with Weber by lowballing the **** out of him during arbitration. I know you're trying to get the best outcome, but 4 mill for Shea is just insulting. Probably left a bad taste in his mouth. I guess not bad enough if he signed an offer sheet that could potentially have him play the rest of his career in Nashville....

#232 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

I guess not bad enough if he signed an offer sheet that could potentially have him play the rest of his career in Nashville....

I WANT this to happen, I would laugh at all parties involved. :boogie:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#233 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

wow... In the first 4 seasons, 13 million of the 14 million per season comes from signing bonuses

I read in an article that, if player salaries are rolled back again like they were coming out of the last lockout, bonus money is not subject to the roll-back and, therefore, this money is essentially "guaranteed" no matter what happens with the new CBA.
Posted Image

#234 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

I wonder how this will affect Holmgrens reputation with the unwritten rule of offer sheeting players.

#235 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

I wonder if Philly knows Shea Weber doesn't play goalie.

Bryz isn't as good as his contract, but he's an above average goalie and he plays better when he's got some confidence in his defense.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#236 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

With thoughts like that, I can see why you jumped ship this off-season to the Sharks (just joking). I guess the Devils are rebuilding too with Parise gone? If the Preds match, how can you call losing Suter rebuilding? When did the Predators ever rebuild the first time, anyway?

Ouch I guess I asked for that.

I think Weber is worth more to the Predators than Parise to the Devils. That entire team is built around Weber, Suter and Rinne. If Rinne is truly an exceptional goaltender than they may be able to turn the ship around quickly, but look at their roster. Their best Dman right now is Hal Gill. Their forwards are OK to meh, and they are losing a lot of scoring talent in Kostitsyn and Radulov. Devils still have Kovy, Elias, Zajac and an exceptional Defense. Obviously neither roster is done, but if the Predators lose Weber, Suter, and Radulov I don't see how they can recover and make the playoffs next season based on what's available to them as FA, and their frugal ways.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#237 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,276 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Ouch I guess I asked for that.

I think Weber is worth more to the Predators than Parise to the Devils. That entire team is built around Weber, Suter and Rinne. If Rinne is truly an exceptional goaltender than they may be able to turn the ship around quickly, but look at their roster. Their best Dman right now is Hal Gill. Their forwards are OK to meh, and they are losing a lot of scoring talent in Kostitsyn and Radulov. Devils still have Kovy, Elias, Zajac and an exceptional Defense. Obviously neither roster is done, but if the Predators lose Weber, Suter, and Radulov I don't see how they can recover and make the playoffs next season based on what's available to them as FA, and their frugal ways.

I am talking about Suter leaving, not Weber too. My issue was the comments about Weber not wanting to be part of a rebuild so he went to the Flyers. If he stays with the Preds, it isn't a rebuild. So, I think his agent is really insulting the entire organization.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#238 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

I am talking about Suter leaving, not Weber too. My issue was the comments about Weber not wanting to be part of a rebuild so he went to the Flyers. If he stays with the Preds, it isn't a rebuild. So, I think his agent is really insulting the entire organization.

And that's his goal, because it's clear Weber would prefer not to play there, and it's the agent's job to make that as obvious as possible.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#239 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,928 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

And that's his goal, because it's clear Weber would prefer not to play there, and it's the agent's job to make that as obvious as possible.

How can you say that when he just set himself up to be a Pred for the rest of his career? I don't think he has much of a preference, the guy just wants to get paid before the new CBA

#240 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

How can you say that when he just set himself up to be a Pred for the rest of his career? I don't think he has much of a preference, the guy just wants to get paid before the new CBA

Ding Ding DING!!! We have a winner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIotIGFN2oc
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users