43 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

And when does that ever happen? The prospects and assets the Devils dropped were chump change compared to what most teams do for a few rentals. Just last year, the Bruins traded a former 1st, a 1st, and 2nd to get Kaberle.

The Devils, luckily, gave up almost nothing to get a player who had a bigger impact than Kaberle. Even when a team has constructed a roster where you don't have to do this, the GM feels the pressure to do something anyway and usually overpays for some crap.

There have been years where the Devils have barely made any deadline deals. In 2009, the Devils traded a guy they signed as an undrafted free agent to get a defenseman. This year the Devils spent a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round pick to improve the roster, plus a guy who'd still be mildly useful to have around in Nick Palmieri. Still, you'd prefer to not have to do that.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

There have been years where the Devils have barely made any deadline deals. In 2009, the Devils traded a guy they signed as an undrafted free agent to get a defenseman. This year the Devils spent a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th round pick to improve the roster, plus a guy who'd still be mildly useful to have around in Nick Palmieri. Still, you'd prefer to not have to do that.

The easy response would be the 2012 Devils went to the Cup Finals and the 2009 Devils lost in the first round (I know what your response will be so don't worry about that). The Devils basically traded a 2nd, 3rd and 7th for a guy that they will have on the roster for another season. And a damn useful player. Better than when Lou picks up his terrible depth defenseman for a little less.

If the Devils wanted to fill Zidlicky's role before the 11-12 season, it probably be a lot more expensive than how Lou ended up getting him. Same goes for Pony.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

The easy response would be the 2012 Devils went to the Cup Finals and the 2009 Devils lost in the first round (I know what your response will be so don't worry about that). The Devils basically traded a 2nd, 3rd and 7th for a guy that they will have on the roster for another season. And a damn useful player. Better than when Lou picks up his terrible depth defenseman for a little less.

If the Devils wanted to fill Zidlicky's role before the 11-12 season, it probably be a lot more expensive than how Lou ended up getting him. Same goes for Pony.

I mean, they could've just signed Poni themselves - I understand why they didn't, Tedenby played well and Rolston was still on the roster when Ponikarovsky signed with Carolina.

Zidlicky still represents a large risk, he turns 36 this year and he's had injury problems in the past.

Deadline improvements can be superior to off-season acquisitions if your team is either broke/up against the cap, not expected to be good, or expected to be excellent. But expecting a repeat of last year where a lot of guys came in to help - it's not a good formula.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,281 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I mean, they could've just signed Poni themselves - I understand why they didn't, Tedenby played well and Rolston was still on the roster when Ponikarovsky signed with Carolina.

Zidlicky still represents a large risk, he turns 36 this year and he's had injury problems in the past.

Deadline improvements can be superior to off-season acquisitions if your team is either broke/up against the cap, not expected to be good, or expected to be excellent. But expecting a repeat of last year where a lot of guys came in to help - it's not a good formula.

Zidlicky is a risk, but not so much for this Devils team right now, and he's a better option that what Calgary gave Wideman this off-season I think.

I'm not expecting any repeat of last year at all. Although, getting a replacement for Zach at the deadline will be easy since he no-showed the entire playoffs, of course.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users