69 replies to this topic

#41 mort4345

mort4345

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:26 AM

Under this deal, he gets $2.6M. You don't think he signs up for 4 years/9M? To beat the deal he just signed versus the deal I just made up, he has to make more than 3.2M per after 2014. I think he'll manage it, but it's close, and that would certainly mitigate some risk on his part.

No way that if this is Fayne's price that buying out his UFA years should cost $4.7M per like you are suggesting.

I completely disagree. Yes, I suppose the Devils didn't lock him up "long term" with a 4-year deal, etc. But as of right now we have 8 legitimate NHL defensemen signed for the upcoming season. And although I don't think that Fayne was necessarily the Devils best d-man, it's pretty much a best-case-scenario ... two-year contract dollar-wise. If he has a great year in 2013, the Devils will be able to renegotiate a long-term commitment if they so desire. In short, this gives the Devils flexibility on so many levels and is a steal of a deal as far as I'm concerned.

#42 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

Under this deal, he gets $2.6M. You don't think he signs up for 4 years/9M? To beat the deal he just signed versus the deal I just made up, he has to make more than 3.2M per after 2014. I think he'll manage it, but it's close, and that would certainly mitigate some risk on his part.

No way that if this is Fayne's price that buying out his UFA years should cost $4.7M per like you are suggesting.

I'm not worried about Fayne long term, if he leaves UFA then so be it. We will have gotten incredible value out of him. You can't keep all you assets and maybe there will be compensation for UFA's in the new CBA.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#43 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Or, you could look on Twitter, and then, without complaining or being rude about it, add said information yourself.

Takes only slightly more work than attacking others.

I looked on Twitter when the thread was posted and didn't see anything about Fayne at that time. I shouldn't have to go searching for someone's source when they post a signing. He's been here long enough to know to include the link for things like this.

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

I'm not worried about Fayne long term, if he leaves UFA then so be it. We will have gotten incredible value out of him. You can't keep all you assets and maybe there will be compensation for UFA's in the new CBA.

I doubt there will be compensation and even if there were, what would it be, a 3rd round pick?

Right now Fayne is the second youngest guy on defense - there's 4 guys under contract who I probably want no part of when their deal is done. I get that maybe those won't be UFA years but they'd still be being bought at an excellent price. And if the young guys succeed, Fayne could always be dealt. I guess this is Lou's ' prove it' contract but I wish he'd take a little more risk.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Let's say the ufa age increases with the next CBA, would Fayne still be one at the conclusion of this contract?

#46 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

#NJD D Mark Fayne agrees to two-year deal with Devils worth $2.6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIfOjkB17BA

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Let's say the ufa age increases with the next CBA, would Fayne still be one at the conclusion of this contract?

No. Fayne was born in May of 1987. So any increases in UFA age would keep him from being unrestricted.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#48 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

I love it for now, especially with the ownership issues, but as Tri has said, I don't like the short term steal when he's one of the guys I'd like to keep long term. Unless Lou is planning on using him as trade bait for a winger (not impossible), I don't love signing a decent quality, young d-man for only 2 years at an amount that borders on insulting. Just makes resigning him that much harder. Not saying resigning Fayne needs to be a priority, especially with guys like Urbom, Burlon, and most importantly Merrill coming up, and Larsson coming of age, but still.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#49 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

he woulda gotten a lot more if he had buried that puck in the net Gm 1 of the SCF.....sigh

good signing tho.

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#50 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

He is a good "horse" middle pairing guy. Eats up minutes and is unnoticed but solid. He won't put up 50 or 60 points but he isn't completely "puck retarded" and he won't be a premier #1 shutdown guy but he won't be a liability.

#51 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

He is a good "horse" middle pairing guy. Eats up minutes and is unnoticed but solid. He won't put up 50 or 60 points but he isn't completely "puck retarded" and he won't be a premier #1 shutdown guy but he won't be a liability.

He's very similar to Tallinder in that regard. Very good defensively, but just lacks enough skill and skating ability to be a top flight d-man.

#52 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Great deal all around

#53 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

No way his agent allows him to go 4 years/9M.

Edited by devlman, 21 July 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#54 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

I looked on Twitter when the thread was posted and didn't see anything about Fayne at that time. I shouldn't have to go searching for someone's source when they post a signing. He's been here long enough to know to include the link for things like this.

please don't sue me for the 10 seconds of your time it took you to get the source, i have bills and a family to feed

www.SterioDesign.com

#55 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,428 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

I like the deal. I wouldnt be surprised if he was offered longer and turned it down, nor can you blame him. The new CBA is likely going to change a lot of things in respect to RFAs.

I agree that there's guys that Im not going to want to see re-signed once their contracts are played out, but in the immediate it's good money wise. It doesn't hurt we have a good couple of young guys that should be ready by the time Fayne is ready for his next contract.

#56 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

please don't sue me for the 10 seconds of your time it took you to get the source, i have bills and a family to feed

Oh give me a break. Stop playing the victim. Just include the source link next time you post a news story. It's not that hard and it saves everyone time wasted on searching and/or arguing.

#57 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

Oh give me a break. Stop playing the victim. Just include the source link next time you post a news story. It's not that hard and it saves everyone time wasted on searching and/or arguing.

And it's the rules too.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#58 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,048 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I have a nice legal letter in my files that threatened everything I own because people used the info wrong. Please post sources.

#59 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

I have a nice legal letter in my files that threatened everything I own because people used the info wrong. Please post sources.

link? Posted Image

Yeah, I figured Lou would get this done for about this much. Well done AGAIN LL! He even paid a little less then what I was thinking.

Edited by Masked Fan, 21 July 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#60 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

I really don't know how anyone can say this is a bad or a terrible contract. Inconceivable. With all the young defensemen in the system, someone will definitely be ready to step in for 2014-2015 if Fayne leaves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users