Photo

Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#61 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

No offense, but Clarkson doesn't cough up the puck very easily. Teddy, on the other hand craps the bed on occasion.

Right on Clarkson, plus I saw some pretty dandy assists from him last season.

tv-on-the-radio.jpg

#62 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Right on Clarkson, plus I saw some pretty dandy assists from him last season.

YUP!, look at his assist numbers in the last 3rd of the year and through the playoffs! he's learned to look up and feed the point off his good cycling skills and board work. now can we teach him the breakout pass at the blueline

#63 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,580 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

My favorite was him circling around the net and finding Zajac flying up the slot for that bomb of a one timer against florida.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#64 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

I think Edmonton is our best possibility. They're gonna need some sort of defenseman if they want to climb out of the Bottom 3 in the league, and I think Hemsky would be a good possibility. He's had injury problems but I think he's a damn good hockey player when healthy, and he could play with some fellow countryman like Elias and Zidlicky, possibly Sykora if he gets re-signed.

As far as the list, I don't really think Toronto would be up for a D-for-F swap. They're trying to give their younger guys like Gardiner and Reilly ice time so they won't need a vet like Tallinder blocking their development.
25smul5.png

#65 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Detroit should trade us Darren Helm.

tv-on-the-radio.jpg

#66 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

How bout Urbom, Greene, Gelinas, 2nd for Bobby Ryan

I'd say its a fair deal

#67 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,320 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

How bout Urbom, Greene, Gelinas, 2nd for Bobby Ryan

I'd say its a fair deal

I feel like Anaheim would want Greene, plus a high end D prospect like Larsson/Merill, then a young NHL forward like Henrique/Josefson in addition to that 2nd. Just my opinion.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#68 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

I feel like Anaheim would want Greene, plus a high end D prospect like Larsson/Merill, then a young NHL forward like Henrique/Josefson in addition to that 2nd. Just my opinion.

True, although as Columbus learned, you tend to get less than market value when you have to trade someone.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#69 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

That's an insane asking amount.

tv-on-the-radio.jpg

#70 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

True, although as Columbus learned, you tend to get less than market value when you have to trade someone.

Anaheim certainly does not have to trade Bobby Ryan. And Columbus got above market value.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#71 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Tri what's your take on what it takes to get Ryan then.

#72 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

Tri what's your take on what it takes to get Ryan then.

Start with Henrique, and that's where it ends for me. Maybe Josefson/Merrill+something else? Whatever the trade would be, it would be terrible.

#73 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

yeesh fvck that.

#74 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:45 PM

Start with Henrique, and that's where it ends for me. Maybe Josefson/Merrill+something else? Whatever the trade would be, it would be terrible.

I would say there's a pretty good chance that we could offer Greene/Tallinder/Gelinas and Josefson, and maybe a second, which I would do. Like the Nash sweepstakes, every team appears to be balking at giving up enough that would make it an even trade under normal circumstances. Evidently, Philly made it known that including Courturier would be a non-starter. However, Anaheim's in a bind by having to trade a player who has demanded a trade.

If Anaheim feels it has to trade him before the season starts (a big if), they're not going to get great value, and my proposed deal might be better than what anyone else is offering.

And to whether anyone says, Ryan's not that good: He's a young player (25) who's a consistent 30 goal/season scorer and has a very favorable contract.

Edited by Daniel, 30 July 2012 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#75 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:06 PM

I would say there's a pretty good chance that we could offer Greene/Tallinder/Gelinas and Josefson, and maybe a second, which I would do. Like the Nash sweepstakes, every team appears to be balking at giving up enough that would make it an even trade under normal circumstances. Evidently, Philly made it known that including Courturier would be a non-starter. However, Anaheim's in a bind by having to trade a player who has demanded a trade.

No, there isn't. The Ducks already have 6 defensemen under contract for next season: Beauchemin, Fowler, Sbisa, Souray, Allen, Lydman. They don't want defensemen back at all - that package is a complete non-starter for them.

If Anaheim feels it has to trade him before the season starts (a big if), they're not going to get great value, and my proposed deal might be better than what anyone else is offering.

And to whether anyone says, Ryan's not that good: He's a young player (25) who's a consistent 30 goal/season scorer and has a very favorable contract.

These two quotes are in direct contradiction to one another. Players of Ryan's pedigree don't grow on trees and he's signed to a fair contract. It's not like teams are up against the cap, or even a theoretical future cap - there's a ton of cap room left in the NHL. The Ducks would have to get at least an excellent forward prospect back, then probably a decent NHL forward, plus other stuff. It's just not something the Devils should be even thinking about.

I doubt Ryan would get moved before a new CBA gets ratified because where free agency lands directly affects his value.

#76 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

These two quotes are in direct contradiction to one another. Players of Ryan's pedigree don't grow on trees and he's signed to a fair contract. It's not like teams are up against the cap, or even a theoretical future cap - there's a ton of cap room left in the NHL. The Ducks would have to get at least an excellent forward prospect back, then probably a decent NHL forward, plus other stuff. It's just not something the Devils should be even thinking about.

'
The difference is that Ryan has demanded a trade. Yes, Anaheim can always tell him tough luck, but they are under some pressure to trade him. I wouldn't be surprised if no one has offered them anything better than what I've suggested. (Talking about how good I think he is, was meant to preempt the contrarian argument that he's not that good).

Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with the defensemen that Anaheim does have under contract. If none of the defensemen I've mentioned are a significant upgrade over what they already have, then you're right.
Posted Image

#77 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

You have to see what future roles are for players then find out who being traded will hurt the team the most.

Larsson Right
Now: 2nd ES, 2nd PP, 3rd PK
2013: 1st ES, 1st PP, 2nd PK

Fayne Right
Now: 1st ES, 2nd PK
2013: 2nd ES, 2nd PK?

Zidlicky Right
Now: 3rd ES, 1st PP
2013: Gone

Tallinder Left
Now: 2nd ES, 2nd PK
2013: 2nd ES, 2nd PK

Volchenkov Left
Now: 3rd ES, 1st PK
2013: 3rd ES, 1st PK

Salvador Left
Now: 3rd ES, 1st PK
2013: 3rd ES, 2nd PK

Greene
Now: 1st ES, 3rd PK
2013: 2nd ES, 3rd PK

Urbom
Now: AHL
2013: 3rd ES, 3rd PK

Gelinas
Now: AHL
2013: 3rd ES, 2nd PP

Merrill
Now: NCAA
2013: AHL/3rd ES, 2nd PP?

Greene seems to have less value moving forward and is near his peak NHL level. I would say use him with Merrill/Gelinas to get an upgrade in the top 6. I really want Berglund to play with Zajac and Kovalchuk.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 30 July 2012 - 05:30 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#78 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

'
The difference is that Ryan has demanded a trade. Yes, Anaheim can always tell him tough luck, but they are under some pressure to trade him. I wouldn't be surprised if no one has offered them anything better than what I've suggested. (Talking about how good I think he is, was meant to preempt the contrarian argument that he's not that good).

Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with the defensemen that Anaheim does have under contract. If none of the defensemen I've mentioned are a significant upgrade over what they already have, then you're right.

It wouldn't matter if they were a significant upgrade - they have 6 D under contract, 5 of which are on one-ways and the other is Cam Fowler. Unless you're offering them Shea Weber, it doesn't make any sense. And that's a bad deal. Josefson? What is he? Gelinas? Meh. And then two above average D whom the market has deemed are average? It's your classic three nickels for a quarter deal.

#79 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

It wouldn't matter if they were a significant upgrade - they have 6 D under contract, 5 of which are on one-ways and the other is Cam Fowler. Unless you're offering them Shea Weber, it doesn't make any sense. And that's a bad deal. Josefson? What is he? Gelinas? Meh. And then two above average D whom the market has deemed are average? It's your classic three nickels for a quarter deal.

Probably right. Guess there was a time where other GMs ate up Devils prospects the same way other MLB teams seem to eat up Yankee prospects. Even if they still do, Bobby Ryan is probably a bridge too far.
Posted Image

#80 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

Probably right. Guess there was a time where other GMs ate up Devils prospects the same way other MLB teams seem to eat up Yankee prospects. Even if they still do, Bobby Ryan is probably a bridge too far.

Anaheim's brass feels a need to make the playoffs this year. If they trade Ryan they won't do it for what will make them better in the future - they want the now.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users