177 replies to this topic

#141 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

In my opinion this whole Nash situation is exactly like the Zach Parise situation if we replace him with Semin.... Yes we get offense but there an unknown defensive part that is missing or in question

Big difference: The Rangers aren't replacing, they're adding.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#142 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,792 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

Big difference: The Rangers aren't replacing, they're adding.

What? No. They just traded 2 roster players for Nash, and a defenseman that maybe could've helped them. That's not adding, that's replacing. It's why they've only gotten slightly better with this trade.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#143 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

What? No. They just traded 2 roster players for Nash, and a defenseman that maybe could've helped them. That's not adding, that's replacing. It's why they've only gotten slightly better with this trade.

I agree with the "slightly better"... They seem a bit better on paper, let's hope things don't go their way, the way many of these big-name long-term signings do.

#144 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

It does make me wonder how much players consider that when going to the Rangers.. "hmmm the coach wants me to put my face in front of pucks and will scream his head off at me all the time.. sign me up"

After almost a decade of 65-point seasons in Columbus I don't think most people would be too picky.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#145 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

safe to say now that Doan is going to sign in NY too and that Semin will endup in pittsburgh.

great offseason. simply great.

Just because the Rangers want Doan, doesn't mean they'll get him. And Pittsburgh supposedly signing Semin is the little boy crying wolf, it's been a parroted rumor, but I'll believe it when I see it.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#146 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Just because the Rangers want Doan, doesn't mean they'll get him. And Pittsburgh supposedly signing Semin is the little boy crying wolf, it's been a parroted rumor, but I'll believe it when I see it.

it could still happen... Doan visited NY and Philly... so its not looking good

www.SterioDesign.com

#147 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

it could still happen... Doan visited NY and Philly... so its not looking good

And Kovy visited LA too, how did that turn out?

There's no point in worrying about something we can't control before it even happens.

#148 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

The reason I like this for the Rags is that it's not easy to get quality like Nash. If that hurts there depth and cap, those things are easier to fix than it is to acquire a bona fide stud. It took us a year and a half, but we were able to rebuild after the Kovy acquisition. Hopefully, Nash isn't as good as Kovy, but if he is, those other problems go away.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#149 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Rarely does the team giving up the better player in the deal come out on top in these types of transactions. The Kovy trade is a great example, but there are a ton of others as well. Only time will tell but, when fully healthy, they will be tough to beat.
Posted Image

#150 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,967 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Rarely does the team giving up the better player in the deal come out on top in these types of transactions. The Kovy trade is a great example, but there are a ton of others as well. Only time will tell but, when fully healthy, they will be tough to beat.

seriously Kovy's return for 2 months is similar if not better than what Colombus got for Nash for 5 years... unreal

www.SterioDesign.com

#151 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

After almost a decade of 65-point seasons in Columbus I don't think most people would be too picky.

Well, he was. He gave Howson a list of six (or so) teams and declined when the GM asked him to expand it. Sort of primma donna stuff, but well. Guess after all those years there he wanted to make sure he would play for a team he *really* wants to go to.

#152 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Well, he was. He gave Howson a list of six (or so) teams and declined when the GM asked him to expand it. Sort of primma donna stuff, but well. Guess after all those years there he wanted to make sure he would play for a team he *really* wants to go to.

Everyone's piling on Howson, but this had to handcuff him significantly. I doubt all 6 teams even made serious offers.
Posted Image

#153 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Fair enough but he was obviously picking winning teams with big payrolls for a reason.

#154 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

I think Nash is a bit more concerned with getting to see his name in lights. He's been relegated to obscurity by the casual hockey fan most of his career.

Not having a go at you as I get your point...but I just wanted to comment on the myth that is the new York rangers being a relevant team in nyc. They don't get much attention from the average new yorker. Aside from being on nbcsn a few more times a year, I don't get the whole name in lights, pressure cooker talk that some people associate with the new york rangers. No one cares any more about Rick nash because he's a ranger than if he was a Dallas star.

Edited by devlman, 25 July 2012 - 09:37 PM.

#155 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:11 PM

I see what you're saying Devlman and I completely agree, but in the hockey world being with the Rags is about as marquee as it gets.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#156 Otty Ott-Sauce

Otty Ott-Sauce

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Rick Nash is the most overrated player in the league. Dubinsky was an underpaid player. Rick Nash is overpaid and overachieved. He's never scored 80 points despite playing with some of the best players in the league Nik Zherdev makes Ryan Carter a 30 goal scorer. Rangers overpaid and will never the Stanley Cup..........or should I say the KovalCup
KovalCup 2011-2025!

#157 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,818 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

Not having a go at you as I get your point...but I just wanted to comment on the myth that is the new York rangers being a relevant team in nyc. They don't get much attention from the average new yorker. Aside from being on nbcsn a few more times a year, I don't get the whole name in lights, pressure cooker talk that some people associate with the new york rangers. No one cares any more about Rick nash because he's a ranger than if he was a Dallas star.

Good point. Rangers are nowhere close in terms of fan pressure as the Leafs, Canadians, Canucks, and maybe even the Flyers.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#158 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Completely agree. Before the 3rd round (ECF), there was little to no attention being given to the Rangers at all. And it was only widely reported then because it gave the papers license to reference 1994 and break out the Messier pictures/headlines. Hell, they had their best regular season in almost two decades last year and they were barely mentioned in the papers. This sense of importance, tradition, and huge fan support is a huuuuge myth. It's not even bias on my part, I work here and see it with my own eyes. Not too many people really give a sh!t. Philly and Boston beat them in that department by a LARGE margin. Hell, maybe even Buffalo too..

And just to add, you can walk into a bar in Boston or Philly on a gameday and the Bruins and Flyers are guaranteed to be on. The same can't be said about the Rangers in New York bars. This whole self-described "aura" is totally manufactured, it's just a lazy headline to describe a trade to New York as "playing under the bright lights of Broadway". It's so cliché and on a non-game night, no one on the streets will know who Nash is, or give a sh!t.

Edited by DJ Eco, 27 July 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#159 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,792 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Completely agree. Before the 3rd round (ECF), there was little to no attention being given to the Rangers at all. And it was only widely reported then because it gave the papers license to reference 1994 and break out the Messier pictures/headlines. Hell, they had their best regular season in almost two decades last year and they were barely mentioned in the papers. This sense of importance, tradition, and huge fan support is a huuuuge myth. It's not even bias on my part, I work here and see it with my own eyes. Not too many people really give a sh!t. Philly and Boston beat them in that department by a LARGE margin. Hell, maybe even Buffalo too..

And just to add, you can walk into a bar in Boston or Philly on a gameday and the Bruins and Flyers are guaranteed to be on. The same can't be said about the Rangers in New York bars. This whole self-described "aura" is totally manufactured, it's just a lazy headline to describe a trade to New York as "playing under the bright lights of Broadway". It's so cliché and on a non-game night, no one on the streets will know who Nash is, or give a sh!t.

I argued this, and while it is true that the Rangers are the 6th most popular team in New York and rarely grab the public consciousness, it is also true that the Garden fans get on players way, way faster than fans in most cities. They were booing Tom Poti every shift for god's sake - Devils fans could never manage that. So in that sense, it's a 'high pressure environment', even if the papers aren't going to slam you nightly.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#160 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

I argued this, and while it is true that the Rangers are the 6th most popular team in New York and rarely grab the public consciousness, it is also true that the Garden fans get on players way, way faster than fans in most cities. They were booing Tom Poti every shift for god's sake - Devils fans could never manage that. So in that sense, it's a 'high pressure environment', even if the papers aren't going to slam you nightly.

When I think of "high pressure environment", I think of Toronto last season when all the players were interviewed on camera and asked to apologize and explain what went wrong. Or Montreal comes to mind, when they were booing Price during one of his bad games, and when he made a very routine glove catch, they gave him a mocking standing ovation. Or even Philly, as much as I hate them, is a high pressure environment, a loud building in which you feel accountable for your play.

I've been to MSG, it's neither loud nor intimidating, for the fans or the players (aside from Brodeur, who at this point in his career LOVES it and thrives over there). Can't find anything Rangers-related around the city during the season: no one in jerseys, very few bumper-stickers or car stickers, extremely few hats (I see more Devils hats sprinkled around; maybe because the logo's cooler to people that don't have a clue about hockey), there's 1 or 2 semi-"Rangers bars", etc.... 40 minutes before a game, you can take a subway from downtown that passes through MSG with no one wearing a Rangers jersey. Half the arena doesn't even have jerseys on.

Just overall, it's my opinion that it's not this big exciting legendary hockey town. Obviously it's in the Post or Daily News' best interest to write about it this way, but it's not. A trip to Boston or Philly pretty much proves the difference. Just my honest opinion, because I'm in the city everyday and hang out here on weekends.

Edited by DJ Eco, 27 July 2012 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users