89 replies to this topic

#41 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

If you're calling Semin a 'B' superstar you're high or on something.... He was clearly the caps best player in the playoffs.

I didn't call him a B superstar, I called him a B- superstar. BTW, he had 4 points in the playoffs, so if he was their best player, I am totally confused as to how they managed to play 14 games.

#42 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Ottawa is apparently putting Bobby Butler on waivers and will be buying him out...3rd line replacement on the cheap?

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

Agreed. We are quickly becoming the most spoiled fan base in the NHL. When they lost Gomez, everyone panicked and complained that all they did was get Zubrus to replace him. It took time but they got back to being a contender. Now, they lose Parise. Friends, give it time and have some faith.

Problem is they don't really have time. Five key UFA's this offseason, and Marty/Moose on the wrong side of 40 with Sal on the wrong side of 35. A one-year deal would have been ideal (well really a two or three-year deal at slightly less money would have been more ideal) but yeah I doubt they were going to throw that money at Semin.

I don't think Semin would have signed a 2-11 anyway, or even a 3-17. He somehow got a raise after a 54-point season, you don't think he wants to hit the jackpot next offseason? He knows he's not going to get bupkus long-term this offseason after a poor season and with the smear job TSN did on him July 1.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 July 2012 - 03:28 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#44 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Would have liked to have seen Semin here so this sucks.

So far the offseason has been fairly sh!tty for the Devils IMO, but we have been through worse.

Whatever, this knocks down another off-season worry. So now my biggest concerns at this point is when the equipment sale is and if there will be a lockout next year.

#45 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Carolina has amazing depth at center, Staal, Staal, Skinner, Ruutu, I can see Semin having a tremendous year playing with any of them.

You gotta think that E. Staal might be given some time at LW seeing the issues he had last year.

#46 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Now that jerkoff hockeyyinsiderr will claim he got the "scoop", instead of guessing.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#47 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

If there is a lockout next year does Semin still receive the 7 mil and then hes a free agent?

anyone?

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

If there is a lockout next year does Semin still receive the 7 mil and then hes a free agent?

anyone?

All depends on what the new CBA says.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#49 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Carolina has amazing depth at center, Staal, Staal, Skinner, Ruutu, I can see Semin having a tremendous year playing with any of them.

I think Skinner and Ruutu are gonna play wing.

Anyway, the Canes appear to have a great offense, but on defense they aren't great. Pitkanen, Gleason, Faulk, McBain ahh who am I kidding. This team is stacked

#50 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

They're not going to lose the season, so yes, he'll get paid something and be free to walk as he will be 29. I wouldn't be surprised if the age/service changes a little bit, but I'd guess 29 will be safe, and he'd be a 29-9 since they got the service year for the lockout.

#51 JakeDev

JakeDev

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

There's a lockout.... Semin becomes a UFA

Devils sign him = profit

#52 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'm pissed. I know, I know: there is no info on what Lou offered (if he made an offer at all), maybe it's just that Semin didn't want to play for us etc., etc. But you judge your GM based on his results. He built a good team for last year, we all enjoyed a great season, but this summer has been absolutely awful. The only way it could get worse is if Marty left.

I'm not really big on Doan (because of his age - I'm kind of surprised that at 35 he's driving around all those cities like he's Kovy from two years ago) and it doesn't look like we have a shot at him anyway.

Really cannot be too upset with this. Semin is a huge variable.

With a 1-year deal there is no risk. If he sucks, you let him go next year. And the Devils actually had money - they presented Parise with a competitive offer.

#53 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,830 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm pissed. I know, I know: there is no info on what Lou offered (if he made an offer at all), maybe it's just that Semin didn't want to play for us etc., etc. But you judge your GM based on his results. He built a good team for last year, we all enjoyed a great season, but this summer has been absolutely awful. The only way it could get worse is if Marty left.

I'm not really big on Doan (because of his age - I'm kind of surprised that at 35 he's driving around all those cities like he's Kovy from two years ago) and it doesn't look like we have a shot at him anyway.

With a 1-year deal there is no risk. If he sucks, you let him go next year. And the Devils actually had money - they presented Parise with a competitive offer.

Spending money to keep Parise is different than spending money for a 1 year rental, though. If the reports that the Devils need to get approval to spend money are true, I could see why Zach would be approved and Semin wouldn't (assuming there was even interest from either party.)

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 26 July 2012 - 04:48 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#54 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

i thought we were supposed to be cup contenders???
well not to say we cant make the playoffs but you gotta replace a captain for fvcks sake!!!!
zach didnt score like we all wanted him to in the playoffs but we dont get to the SCF without him.

there better be a lockout next year, unfortunately.

Edited by oconnellrules, 26 July 2012 - 08:28 PM.

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#55 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,102 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Lou's not doing jack until the deadline...
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#56 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

It is what it is.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#57 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

i thought we were supposed to be cup contenders???
well not to say we cant make the playoffs but you gotta replace a captain for fvcks sake!!!!
zach didnt score like we all wanted him to in the playoffs but we dont get to the SCF without him.

there better be a lockout next year, unfortunately.

Im not sure how any hockey fan can honestly say this.. Even Columbus and Islanders fans don't want a lockout.. Jeez, we all want to win but it's completely ridiculous to have the mentality "If we aren't Cup contenders then I don't want there to be a season at all"

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#58 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Lou's not doing jack until the deadline...

Wonder what Semin will cost at that point...
Posted Image

#59 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,102 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Wonder what Semin will cost at that point...

The Devils did there due diligence on Semin and he didn't fit...I'm sure of this. Simple as that.

There are guys who will come available this year that will be better fits, whose identities we don't even know yet. Who knows who's going to suck this year. Maybe it'll be Ottawa and Spezza...maybe the Blackhawks have a bad year and it's Hossa. Maybe it's Bobby Ryan. But the player Lou wants to replace Parise isn't available yet.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#60 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

Not saying the lou doesn't do his homework on FA, but to assume the reason we didn't sign him is because we decided he didn't fit in with us is absoltuley ludacris, sorry. Maybe that is the reason, maybe he wanted to come here badly but in the end we thought it wasn't worth it to sign a guy who is capable of a 40 goal season to a 7mil/1year contract, but I doubt it. And to assume with blind ignorance that any one that we don't sign, wasn't signed because we don't think their a fit is just delusional.

Don't want that to sound mean, that comment just rang of coolaid drinking.

Also all this talk about bobby ryan, the guy wants to be a flyer for christ sake.

Edited by Sneax, 26 July 2012 - 11:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users