39 replies to this topic

#21 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

To elaborate re: Sykora - I dislike re-signing him because I doubt he'll reach 20 goals again this season. Probably closer to 15. And when he's not scoring, he's not actively contributing to the team in other ways. Unfortunately, short of a trade, there aren't really any other wingers on the UFA market that could even be counted on for 15 goals and mesh into the Devils' system easily. Eric Fehr is a gamble... terrible offense last year after shoulder surgeries, but decent defense and physicality down the stretch; Andrei Kostitsyn is an enigma... he'll give 15 goals, but who knows if he'd buy into the system; Andrew Brunette is a million years old, ditto Mike Knuble.

He's the safe choice, though. If Lou really wanted to gamble on in-camp competitions and add depth, I could see re-signing Sykora and also giving Kostitsyn a shot. The latter requires probably too much $, though.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#22 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Sykora was/is not that good. From time to time after the midway point I forgot he was still part of the team.

Parise is pretty good. But he alone is not what makes the Devils the best team in the Eastern conference.

I was away on military bull for most of the summer until last week, so I was kind of insulated from the comings and goings in the hockey world. Where I left off with the hockey world was the Devils playing on TV in the cup finals. So I guess that's where I'm picking up. But the idea that the Rangers and Flyers, who we just made short work of, are going to be better teams than us seems really out there to me. Parise was by no means a dominant or decisive force on the ice during those contests.

Not that I'm confronting the thread starter or anything, I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills with the attitude around here.
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#23 NCDevsFan

NCDevsFan

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

My life is going to be hell if the Canes are good next season.
It's the whiskey talking.

#24 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

My life is going to be hell if the Canes are good next season.

Prepare yourself now.

#25 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:48 AM

Even if we make a marginal move to sure up a few positions I don't see this team being much worse then last year in the regular season. Remember we didn't have Zajac for most of the season so a healthy Zajac minus Parise should net us the same basic point total give or take a few. Plus the Rangers aren't that good as last season seemed to show, Flyers are a little worse to flat, and the Pens get Crosby back healthy but Staal was a great player to have in your lineup and they didn't really do anything for the D and who knows where MAF is now.

#26 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

Penguins also traded away Zbynek Michalek
25smul5.png

#27 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

... I also realize that it is only July and Lou still has time to make moves.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#28 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Here's what Im worried about:
Parise (30 goals)
Poni (10 goals)
Sykora (20 goals)
Clarkson had a career year and I expect him to score 10 less
Elias is aging
Henrique could hit a sophomore slump

Off the bat you have to replace roughly 60 goals. Now, Zajac will add 15 and our 4th line combined should do the same. That means we have to rely on Josefson, Tedenby and Zubrus to do the same.

#29 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Here's what Im worried about:
Parise (30 goals)
Poni (10 goals)
Sykora (20 goals)
Clarkson had a career year and I expect him to score 10 less
Elias is aging
Henrique could hit a sophomore slump

Off the bat you have to replace roughly 60 goals. Now, Zajac will add 15 and our 4th line combined should do the same. That means we have to rely on Josefson, Tedenby and Zubrus to do the same.

Parise and Sykora ate PP ice time, you place Henrique, Tedenby and Josefson on the PP and they will get a lot of easy PP goals. The Devils probably won't score as much this season but their team defense maybe stronger. Josefson and Zajac are very very good defensive centers and a full season of both with an improving defense will do wonders.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#30 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Parise and Sykora ate PP ice time, you place Henrique, Tedenby and Josefson on the PP and they will get a lot of easy PP goals. The Devils probably won't score as much this season but their team defense maybe stronger. Josefson and Zajac are very very good defensive centers and a full season of both with an improving defense will do wonders.

I'm also optimistic having Shaw and Zidlicky a full year on our pp. I'm confident Henrique can fit in on our pp, but I don't think Josefson or Tedenby are good enough shooters to make a difference

#31 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'm also optimistic having Shaw and Zidlicky a full year on our pp. I'm confident Henrique can fit in on our pp, but I don't think Josefson or Tedenby are good enough shooters to make a difference

Tedenby is ideal for Parise's position on the PP. He will need to earn it but his shiftiness will create a lot different options on the PP that Parise couldn't with his hard work attitude. Josefson may get 2nd PP ice time and his vision should help others score.

#32 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Still a lot of question marks about Josefson's ability to stay healthy. I'll believe he can handle the rigors of an NHL season when it happens.

Edited by devilsrule33, 28 July 2012 - 01:34 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#33 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,988 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

To elaborate re: Sykora - I dislike re-signing him because I doubt he'll reach 20 goals again this season. Probably closer to 15. And when he's not scoring, he's not actively contributing to the team in other ways. Unfortunately, short of a trade, there aren't really any other wingers on the UFA market that could even be counted on for 15 goals and mesh into the Devils' system easily. Eric Fehr is a gamble... terrible offense last year after shoulder surgeries, but decent defense and physicality down the stretch; Andrei Kostitsyn is an enigma... he'll give 15 goals, but who knows if he'd buy into the system; Andrew Brunette is a million years old, ditto Mike Knuble.

He's the safe choice, though. If Lou really wanted to gamble on in-camp competitions and add depth, I could see re-signing Sykora and also giving Kostitsyn a shot. The latter requires probably too much $, though.

Fehr would be more of a Lou signing. Big kid, former first round flameout reclamation project...Lou loves taking on these kind of cases
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#34 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

Fehr would be more of a Lou signing. Big kid, former first round flameout reclamation project...Lou loves taking on these kind of cases

I would be completely fine with that or Bobby Butler, re-sign Sykora as well since he will still be cheap.

Henrique Zajac Kovalchuk
Sykora Elias Zubrus
Fehr/Butler/Tedenby Josefson Clarkson
CBGB

Edited by Zubie#8, 28 July 2012 - 11:13 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#35 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Still a lot of question marks about Josefson's ability to stay healthy. I'll believe he can handle the rigors of an NHL season when it happens.

I believe for the most part injuries of that such are just bad luck. There have been many cases of players getting injured early in their career and staying healthy for prolonged stretches. All Josefson's injuries seem to be of the fluke variety.

#36 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Wow, so it's possible the Flyers just had a worse offseason than the Devils at this point. Flyers Twitter is reporting that Andrej Meszaros just suffered a torn achilles tendon, same as Zajac's last year, will likely miss until AT LEAST beginning of 2013.

What a nightmare. They don't get the Weber deal, Holmgren pisses off the rest of the NHL managers in the process, and now they lose another d-man.. Losing Matt Carle hasn't helped their case either, and Pronger's pretty much done. We just know which team in the East and Atlantic Division is going into next season a much worse team.

#37 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Wow, so it's possible the Flyers just had a worse offseason than the Devils at this point. Flyers Twitter is reporting that Andrej Meszaros just suffered a torn achilles tendon, same as Zajac's last year, will likely miss until AT LEAST beginning of 2013.

What a nightmare. They don't get the Weber deal, Holmgren pisses off the rest of the NHL managers in the process, and now they lose another d-man.. Losing Matt Carle hasn't helped their case either, and Pronger's pretty much done. We just know which team in the East and Atlantic Division is going into next season a much worse team.

Do not feel bad whatsoever for them but I do feel bad for Meszaros, he is a solid defenseman.

Whats their defense look like now?

Timmonen Schenn
Coburn Grossman
Lilja Gervais
Gustafsson Bourdon
Manning

That looks awful.

Edited by Zubie#8, 07 August 2012 - 10:03 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#38 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Whats their defense look like mow?

Timmonen Schenn
Coburn Grossman
Lilja Gervais
Gustafsson Bourdon
Manning

That looks awful.

haha Yeah that does. Sucks for them!

#39 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

If his injury is like Zajacs, he'll be out till February. Expect Homer to make a knee jerk move

#40 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

If his injury is like Zajacs, he'll be out till February. Expect Homer to make a knee jerk move

Agreed. They're coming off the HEELS of a very disappointing offseason..

:whistling: :giggle:

Edited by DJ Eco, 07 August 2012 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users