23 replies to this topic

#21 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Although Doc is the best, I must say Steve has filled in pretty nicely and has done a great job. NJ has been lucky to have such great announcers, including Ian Eagle and Mike Fratello with the Nets.
Posted Image

#22 twillms73

twillms73

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

Steve does a great job with soccer, and with the Devils. Rosen is great at football and good at hockey when not doing Rangers games.

Doc is certainly out of him element in water polo. He does ask the color commentator all of the questions that us non-water polo fans would ask. He has a genuine curiosity about the game. Personally, I think he would have been better off doing field hockey. Most of the terminology and build-up is the same and less scoring allows for more legitimate excitement on each goal.

Us Devils fans have certainly been blessed. Gary Thorne, Doc, Cangi, Mike Miller.....all great to listen to.
Tom Willms
IYMSportsRadio.com

#23 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm not sure I'd say Doc is "out of his element" when it comes to water polo. This is his third Olympics calling the sport; I think it's more like he recognizes that most people don't know much about water polo and he sees himself as the viewers' advocate, asking the questions he thinks the viewers would ask. I noticed a few instances where he stopped himself to let the color guy/gal explain something, as if he understood what was going on but he realized the average person might not. It seems that most of these sports have actual broadcasters working the PBP and experts on the sports in question on color. Doc has done a good job of letting his partners shine when it's appropriate.

I agree, though, that NBC should have had Doc -- or another one of their hockey guys -- calling the field hockey. I looked up who they were using (I forget his name already) and his experience was mainly in football and basketball, though he also called some lacrosse in college.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#24 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

I'm not sure I'd say Doc is "out of his element" when it comes to water polo. This is his third Olympics calling the sport; I think it's more like he recognizes that most people don't know much about water polo and he sees himself as the viewers' advocate, asking the questions he thinks the viewers would ask. I noticed a few instances where he stopped himself to let the color guy/gal explain something, as if he understood what was going on but he realized the average person might not. It seems that most of these sports have actual broadcasters working the PBP and experts on the sports in question on color. Doc has done a good job of letting his partners shine when it's appropriate.

I agree, though, that NBC should have had Doc -- or another one of their hockey guys -- calling the field hockey. I looked up who they were using (I forget his name already) and his experience was mainly in football and basketball, though he also called some lacrosse in college.

That's one of the biggest things I miss about Doc. He knows when to let the color person put their 2 cents in, but he sure as sh!t knew when to cut off Chico. Steve, I'm not sure whether it's a matter of lack of chemistry, experience or what, but he gives Chico a longer leash, so to speak, than Doc did and Chico can start going off on a tangent or say some read dumb sh!t sometimes. It makes me laugh sometimes, but others, I just want to tell Chico to stfu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users