596 replies to this topic

#501 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

i wish we could see that in a few years but with Lou there's no way he'd let a bunch of youngs guys with no experience on the back end all season long. Andy will likely be our veteran through those years and Maybe Volch... Fayne also might be considered a vet by the time all those guys are in the NHL. 

Hopefully Larsson will be considered a veteran at that point as well.  If he cuts down on the one or two brain cramps he seems to have every game, we'll be in pretty good shape so far as that's concerned.  I'd put Fayne in the veterans group right now, or perhaps by next year.  He's a legitimate NHL defenseman at this point, and is good enough to be a number 4 or 5 blueliner on a lot of teams. 

I'd venture a guess that at least two of Scarlett, Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas or Severson will be traded.  The one I'd really like to keep around is Severson.  At this point, he probably won't fetch all that much in a trade on his own, and, from what I can gather from the numbers he's putting up in junior, he has potential to be a homerun.  While I'd like to keep Merrill, he's the type of player that has a lot of trade value if the Devils need to make a Kovalchuk-type move. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#502 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,934 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hopefully Larsson will be considered a veteran at that point as well.  If he cuts down on the one or two brain cramps he seems to have every game, we'll be in pretty good shape so far as that's concerned.  I'd put Fayne in the veterans group right now, or perhaps by next year.  He's a legitimate NHL defenseman at this point, and is good enough to be a number 4 or 5 blueliner on a lot of teams. 

I'd venture a guess that at least two of Scarlett, Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas or Severson will be traded.  The one I'd really like to keep around is Severson.  At this point, he probably won't fetch all that much in a trade on his own, and, from what I can gather from the numbers he's putting up in junior, he has potential to be a homerun.  While I'd like to keep Merrill, he's the type of player that has a lot of trade value if the Devils need to make a Kovalchuk-type move. 

I don't think Merrill has any trade value until he decommits from Michigan and signs a pro contract.  I'd also be very surprised if 2 of those guys were traded.  Scarlett is years away from the NHL, and so is Severson.  Hell, Severson won't be waiver eligible for 5 years.

Fayne is way better than a #4 or #5 blueliner.  He just came off a season playing 2nd pair minutes on a Cup Finalist.  He's healthy scratched right now for reasons I can't really understand - his gaffes have been tending to end up in the net.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#503 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I don't think Merrill has any trade value until he decommits from Michigan and signs a pro contract.  I'd also be very surprised if 2 of those guys were traded.  Scarlett is years away from the NHL, and so is Severson.  Hell, Severson won't be waiver eligible for 5 years.

Fayne is way better than a #4 or #5 blueliner.  He just came off a season playing 2nd pair minutes on a Cup Finalist.  He's healthy scratched right now for reasons I can't really understand - his gaffes have been tending to end up in the net.

Scarlett I agree is awhile away, but that does not mean he has no trade value.  There was talk of him having second round talent, but that he fell for reasons I don't quite remember.  He's had success in junior, which makes him a pretty good shot at being an NHL defenseman in 2 years.  Don't forget that he's though of as having offensive talent, which a lot of GMs seem to value.

While I'm not a scout and I haven't actually seen him play (and perhaps someone like J MacIssac can provide some more insight) I think Severson is closer than you think.  He's pretty filled out physically for his age and his numbers at junior are very good (like I said, better than Shea Weber's at a similar stage of his career).  At the draft he was also considered a steal in the late second round.  

You're right about Merrill having to decommit from Michigan, in the sense that if he has virtually no trade value if he actually decides to play another year.  Right now though, I think a big market team that he would want to play for -- like Detroit -- would take that chance at this trade deadline before he makes a decision.   I wonder if the Devils could allow an unsigned college player to discuss a contract with another team as a condition of a trade, similar to what happens with RFAs. 

None of these players, of course, are going to be given away.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#504 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,934 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

Scarlett I agree is awhile away, but that does not mean he has no trade value.  There was talk of him having second round talent, but that he fell for reasons I don't quite remember.  He's had success in junior, which makes him a pretty good shot at being an NHL defenseman in 2 years.  Don't forget that he's though of as having offensive talent, which a lot of GMs seem to value.

While I'm not a scout and I haven't actually seen him play (and perhaps someone like J MacIssac can provide some more insight) I think Severson is closer than you think.  He's pretty filled out physically for his age and his numbers at junior are very good (like I said, better than Shea Weber's at a similar stage of his career).  At the draft he was also considered a steal in the late second round.  

You're right about Merrill having to decommit from Michigan, in the sense that if he has virtually no trade value if he actually decides to play another year.  Right now though, I think a big market team that he would want to play for -- like Detroit -- would take that chance at this trade deadline before he makes a decision.   I wonder if the Devils could allow an unsigned college player to discuss a contract with another team as a condition of a trade, similar to what happens with RFAs. 

None of these players, of course, are going to be given away.

The point I was trying to make is that the idea of a logjam among the Devils' young D is a bit overstated.  Merrill, Urbom, and Gelinas are probably ready-ish for NHL duty (if they're ever going to be).  Behind them (age-wise) you've got Severson and Scarlett who are at least 2 years away, and probably more.  But remember there's not really anyone (yet) behind that, the Devils are short 3 picks in this year's draft, and 5 of the current 8 D are over the age of 30.

The last Devils' D to become a regular after having his full pro year entirely in the AHL was Colin White.  Now the Devils will actually have the luxury of developing defensemen rather than jamming them into NHL duty and hoping they sink or swim.  I can see them trading one, but 2?  I doubt that, unless it's for a guy who'd be around for a while.

Edited by Triumph, 18 March 2013 - 12:41 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#505 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

The point I was trying to make is that the idea of a logjam among the Devils' young D is a bit overstated.  Merrill, Urbom, and Gelinas are probably ready-ish for NHL duty (if they're ever going to be).  Behind them (age-wise) you've got Severson and Scarlett who are at least 2 years away, and probably more.  But remember there's not really anyone (yet) behind that, the Devils are short 3 picks in this year's draft, and 5 of the current 8 D are over the age of 30.

The last Devils' D to become a regular after having his full pro year entirely in the AHL was Colin White.  Now the Devils will actually have the luxury of developing defensemen rather than jamming them into NHL duty and hoping they sink or swim.  I can see them trading one, but 2?  I doubt that, unless it's for a guy who'd be around for a while.

Should also mention that who they select in this year's draft could influence who and how many defenseman prospects get traded.

Posted Image

#506 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thursday 3/21
QMJHL Playoffs
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #14 Acadie-Bathurst 6-1 (Lead Series 1-0)
Stefan Matteau LW: Assist, +1

OHL Western Conference Playoffs
#3 Owen Sound defeated #6 Sault Ste. Marie 2-1 (OT) (Lead Series 1-0)
Artur Gavrus RW: Goal, +1

WHL Eastern Conference Playoffs
#6 Swift Current lost to #3 Calgary 6-5 (OT) (Trail Series 1-0)
Reece Scarlett D: Assist, E
Graham Black C: Goal (PP), Assist, +1

WCHA Quarterfinals
#4 Wisconsin defeated #6 Minnesota St 7-2
Joe Faust D: +2
Advance to play #1 St. Cloud St in the semis.

#3 North Dakota lost to #8 Colorado College 4-3 (OT)
Derek Rodwell RW: DNP (Healthy)
NoDak should make the NCAA tournament anyway.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#507 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

Friday 3/22
QMJHL Playoffs
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #14 Acadie-Bathurst 5-4 (Lead Series 2-0)
Stefan Matteau LW: Assist (PP), E, 2 Shots, 4/4 Faceoffs

OHL Western Conference Playoffs
#7 Sarnia lost to #2 Plymouth 11-2 (Trail Series 1-0)
Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), Assist (PP), -2, 2 PIM (Slashing)

#4 Kitchener defeated #5 Guelph 5-2 (Lead Series 1-0)
Ben Thomson LW: E, 2 PIM (Roughing)

WHL Eastern Conference Playoffs
#6 Swift Current lost to #3 Calgary 3-1 (Trail Series 2-0)
Reece Scarlett D: -1, 4 PIM (Roughing x2)
Graham Black C: Assist (PP), -2

WHL Western Conference Playoffs
#2 Kelowna lost to #7 Seattle 5-4 (OT) (Trail Series 1-0)
Damon Severson D: Goal, 2 Assists (1 PP), +1

WCHA Semifinals
#2 Minnesota lost to #8 Colorado College 2-0
Seth Helgeson D: E, 2 PIM (Cross Checking), 2 Shots, 1 Block
Minnesota will still go to NCAA tournament.

#4 Wisconsin defeated #1 St. Clould St 4-1
Joe Faust D: E
Wisconsin needs to win the WCHA to get in the NCAA tournament.

The CCHA semi's on Saturday TV: #4 Ohio State (Gedig) vs. #2 Notre Dame at 1 on MSG+ and #7 Michigan (Merrill) vs. #1 Miami (Coleman) at 4:30 on MSG+2.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#508 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:04 AM

Saturday 3/23
OHL Western Conference Quarterfinals
#7 Sarnia lost to #2 Plymouth 3-2 (Trail Series 2-0)
Reid Boucher LW: Goal (PP), E, 2 PIM (Roughing)

#3 Owen Sound defeated #6 Sault Ste. Marie 4-2 (Lead Series 2-0)
Artur Gavrus RW: 2 Assists (1 PP), E

WHL Western Conference Quarterfinals
#2 Kelowna lost to #7 Seattle 2-1 (OT) (Trail Series 2-0)
Damon Severson D: E
Shocking to see Kelowna lose 2 in a row at home.

CCHA Semifinals
#7 Michigan defeated #1 Miami 6-2
Jon Merrill D: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 3 Shots, 1 Block
Blake Coleman C: -1, 2 Shots, 5/9 Faceoffs
Michigian is now a win away from a miraculous run to get into the NCAA tournament. Miami will still make it anyway.

#4 Ohio State lost to #2 Notre Dame 3-1
Curtis Gedig D: -1, 1 Shot, 1 Block
Final Season Stats: 32 GP 3-12-15 +6 6 PIM 5.88 SH% 1.59 SH/GP 54 Blocks
Ohio State will not make the NCAA tournament.

TV note: Michigan vs. Notre Dame is on MSG+ at 2 on Sunday.

WCHA Championship
#4 Wisconsin defeated #8 Colorado College 3-2
Joe Faust D: E, 1 Shot
Wisconsin now advances to the NCAA tournament!

Edited by thefiestygoat, 24 March 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#509 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Sunday 3/24
#4 Kitchener defeated #5 Guelph 2-0 (Lead series 2-0)
Ben Thomson LW: E, 2 PIM (Roughing)

CCHA Championship
#7 Michigan lost to #2 Notre Dame 3-1
Jon Merrill D: E, 1 Block
Final Season Stats: 21 GP 2-9-11 +3 14 PIM 7.14 SH% 1.33 SH/GP 34 Blocks
Michigan will not make the NCAA tournament, snapping their 22 year streak.

----

The NCAA tournament is set. #2 Miami (Coleman) will take on #3 Minnesota St. Mankato in the 1st round in the Midwest. #4 Wisconsin (Faust) will take on #1 UMass-Lowell in the 1st round in the Northeast. #2 North Dakota (Rodwell) will play #3 Niagara in the 1st round in the West. #1 Minnesota (Helgeson) will take on #4 Yale in the 1st round in the West. Here is the TV schedule with ESPNU, ESPN2, and ESPN broadcasting games.

#510 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Monday 3/25
#7 Sarnia lost to #2 Plymouth 5-2 (Trail Series 3-0)
Reid Boucher LW: -3

#3 Owen Sound lost to #6 Sault Ste. Marie 5-3 (Lead Series 2-1)
Artur Gavrus RW: E, 2 PIM (Interference)
Apparently OS tied the game late in the 3rd, goal was incorrectly disallowed, then SSM scored the empty netter.

WHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinals
#6 Swift Current defeated #3 Calgary 3-2 (OT) (Trail Series 2-1)
Reece Scarlett D: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 4 PIM (High Sticking, Delay of Game)
Graham Black C: -1

#511 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:57 PM

Tuesday 3/26
QMJHL Quarterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand lost to #14 Acadie-Bathurst 5-4 (OT) (Lead Series 2-1)
Stefan Matteau LW: Goal (PP), +1, 2 Shots, 3/6 Faceoffs, 1 Hit

#4 Kitchener lost to #5 Guelph 3-2 (Lead Series 2-1)
Ben Thomson LW: Goal, E, 2 PIM (Unsportsmanlike)* 3rd Star

#6 Swift Current lost to #3 Calgary 1-0 (OT) (Trail Series 3-1)
Reece Scarlett D: -1, 2 PIM (Roughing)
Graham Black C: E

#2 Kelowna lost to #7 Seattle 3-2 (Trail Series 3-0)
Damon Severson D: Assist (PP), -2, 2 PIM (Interference)
This is completely shocking.

#512 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

Lol I love that you included "This is completely shocking" like it was a part of the stat sheet. It fit right in. :P

#513 SMantzas

SMantzas

Head Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:52 AM

Tuesday 3/26
QMJHL Quarterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand lost to #14 Acadie-Bathurst 5-4 (OT) (Lead Series 2-1)
Stefan Matteau LW: Goal (PP), +1, 2 Shots, 3/6 Faceoffs, 1 Hit

#4 Kitchener lost to #5 Guelph 3-2 (Lead Series 2-1)
Ben Thomson LW: Goal, E, 2 PIM (Unsportsmanlike)* 3rd Star

#6 Swift Current lost to #3 Calgary 1-0 (OT) (Trail Series 3-1)
Reece Scarlett D: -1, 2 PIM (Roughing)
Graham Black C: E

#2 Kelowna lost to #7 Seattle 3-2 (Trail Series 3-0)
Damon Severson D: Assist (PP), -2, 2 PIM (Interference)
This is completely shocking.

Kelowna is missing their captan and best player Colton Sissons

#514 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

What's Severson's path after this season? Should he stay in juniors or go pro?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#515 SMantzas

SMantzas

Head Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

What's Severson's path after this season? Should he stay in juniors or go pro?

Probably stay in juniors to get major minutes and play in all situations. Plus, there's a logjam of D in albany since Merrill signed

#516 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

He cant play in Albany until the 2014-2015 season due to age.  Given the Devils surplus of Defensemen and defensive prospects, its back to junior for him.

"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#517 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Kelowna is missing their captan and best player Colton Sissons

That’s a good point but I’m still surprised since they have such a strong team even without Sissons. While it will be difficult, I’m not ready to write off Kelowna just yet. All the games they lost have been in OT so it’s not like they are getting outplayed by a wide margin. In my mind, I expect them to win their 2 remaining home games so it’s a matter of them making sure they win the 2 in Seattle.

Kelowna and Sarnia will both try to fend off elimination tonight.

#518 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 1m

Sarnia was swept out of the OHL playoffs by Plymouth tonight, so we could see Reid Boucher in Albany by this weekend along with Jon Merrill.

That'd be interesting

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#519 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

Wednesday 3/27
QMJHL Quarterfinals
#3 Blainville-Boisbriand defeated #14 Acadie-Bathurst 4-1 (Lead Series 3-1)
Stefan Matteau LW: E, 4 PIM (Roughing, Unsportsmanlike), 3 Shots, 1/5 Faceoffs

#7 Sarnia lost to #2 Plymouth 5-2 (Lose Series 4-0)
Reid Boucher LW: 2 Assists (1 PP), -1* 3rd Star
Final Season Stats: 68 GP 62-33-95 +13 53 PIM
Final Playoff Stats: 4 GP 2-3-5 -6 4 PIM

#3 Owen Sound lost to #6 Sault Ste. Marie 1-0 (OT) (Series Tied 2-2)
Artur Gavrus RW: E

#2 Kelowna defeated #7 Seattle 4-0 (Trail Series 3-1)
Damon Severson D: E, 4 PIM (Hooking, Slashing)

#520 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

Thanks again Fiesty for your efforts! First place I go after TG

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users