• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,810 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:07 AM

After trying for months to raise enough cash to pay off overdue loans, New Jersey Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek is still short of his goal — with just a week to go, The Post has learned.

The former Wall Street executive needs another $20 million to make the lenders happy, sources close to the situation said.

Angry creditors are poised to pounce on Aug. 14, these sources said.

Failure to come up with the funds could result in Vanderbeek losing control of the team.

“He had worked out a deal to raise a certain amount and has not been able to do that,” a source said.

http://www.nypost.co...aFqz2dPGspzu1lO

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Here we go again

#3 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

Really? Mid-August? NY Post's unnamed "sources" have been saying end of the season, then late June, then early July, late July, now mid-August?

I think they're making their own deadlines to make the situation more dire than it really is, gotta make the Rangers fans happy for their summer reading during long embarassing offseason..

Edited by DJ Eco, 07 August 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#4 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,772 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

This "journalist" is really making an ass of himself. He called the Devils the "Eastern Division Champs." I guess he doesn't watch much hockey.

That and he also put the wrong date down for the start of training camp this past year as well as a series of other factual errors that TG called him out for last year.

There may be some truth to this but with these little errors here and there it seems more and more that he is pulling this sh!t out of his ass.

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

Really? Mid-August? NY Post's unnamed "sources" have been saying end of the season, then late June, then early July, late July, now mid-August?

I think they're making their own deadlines to make the situation more dire than it really is, gotta make the Rangers fans happy for their summer reading during long embarassing offseason..

Mid-August is the deadline that Bettman or Daly himself pointed out.

While I doubt much of this article is true, I still don't want Vanderbeek going further into hock or possibly jeopardizing the value of the franchise by continuing on as owner.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

"Listen, Ilya..we're going to need you to not receive that massive paycheck of yours this year.."

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I believe the article is accurate. We only need to hope there is a willing buyer that will take control once Vanderbeek is out of the picture.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#8 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,096 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Oh man, let me get my checkbook.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#9 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

I believe the article is accurate. We only need to hope there is a willing buyer that will take control once Vanderbeek is out of the picture.

I don't believe any inside information that Kosman purports to have on these dealings. He's been way wrong before. I believe the drop-dead date, but literally nothing else.

#10 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

Well I am glad to see that 80 million down to 20 if this article is true. But it is still a bad situation. Love Vanderbeek but he needs to go.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#11 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

You guys are worse than Cory Booker. Support JVB and have some faith that he will come through!

#12 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm believing. 20m is a LOT more manageable than 80m

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#13 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,594 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

What does JVB's height have to do with this?
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#14 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,510 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

You guys are worse than Cory Booker. Support JVB and have some faith that he will come through!

I don't want him to come through. It's taken him a year to come up with the money for this loan, why would I want this guy to own the franchise when there's another loan coming due in a few years that he will again struggle to pay? It's just delaying the inevitable.

#15 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

I don't want him to come through. It's taken him a year to come up with the money for this loan, why would I want this guy to own the franchise when there's another loan coming due in a few years that he will again struggle to pay? It's just delaying the inevitable.

I see what you're saying, but its likely that any new owner would not be much wealthier and would still have to deal with the loans for years to come. If we can get a rich oil tycoon to make it rain doller bills, great. But I like JVB as a fan-friendy owner who deeply cares about nj hockey. I hope he can get the finances sorted out.

#16 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

so what happens if JVB loses the team

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

so what happens if JVB loses the team

That's not really the correct way to frame the question. The issue is what happens if the team's creditors officially declare the team in default on its loans. The most likely scenario is that the team will file for bankruptcy, and the league and the team's creditors to work out a plan that reorganize the team. In all likelihood that will entail an investor agreeing to pay off some of the debt and/or rework the repayment terms while taking control of the team. Whatever the case, it means Vanderbeek is out of the picture. The team will end up being a much healthier enterprise under this scenario, just like the Dallas Stars and Texas Rangers are now that its debt-laden owner was kicked out after the teams filed for bankruptcy.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#18 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

I see what you're saying, but its likely that any new owner would not be much wealthier and would still have to deal with the loans for years to come. If we can get a rich oil tycoon to make it rain doller bills, great. But I like JVB as a fan-friendy owner who deeply cares about nj hockey. I hope he can get the finances sorted out.

Vanderbeek is not that wealthy. A lot of his wealth was tied up in Lehman stock that basically evaporated years ago. My guess is that he's worth something like $20 million. Obviously all of us would take that, but it's not enough to be the majority owner of a professional sports franchise.

A new owner might not necessarily have to deal with outstanding loans, or, will get to repay them on much more favorable terms. A wealthy enough guy could purchase all of the outstanding debt at a discount and take control of the team. The team could file for bankruptcy and a new purchaser and creditors could work out a deal that restructures the team's debt. While the creditors could agree to that outside of bankruptcy, it's pretty clear that they want Vanderbeek out of the picture.
Posted Image

#19 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

The Rangers have absolutely nothing to hang over our heads.

Rick Nash? Adam Henrique Game 6 Game Winner.

Henrik won the Vezina? Couldn't stop that Henrique goal in game 6!

You get the picture
6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#20 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

The Rangers have absolutely nothing to hang over our heads.

Rick Nash? Adam Henrique Game 6 Game Winner.

Henrik won the Vezina? Couldn't stop that Henrique goal in game 6!

You get the picture

If Rags fans want to brag that they are more numerous and that their owner is wealthier (even if he's a spoiled, do-nothing, cokehead), more power to them. It's nice that there are a lot of them who can gather in large groups to talk about '94 being the greatest event in the history of mankind. In the meantime, the bankrupt Devils (and Coyotes for that matter) will get on with the business of winning hockey games.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users