82 replies to this topic

#21 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'm really digging this signing. He has a TON of potential - he was banged up last year and never really fit in with Ottawa. Check out his puck control in this highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VknAPiOUTY

Highlight reels are nice and cute for the players and fans, but how responsible is he in his own end?

Edited by TheMazz, 09 August 2012 - 12:06 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#22 hoekster316

hoekster316

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

Highlight reels are nice and cute for the players and fans, but how responsible is he in his own end?

Obviously. That's the dig against him, but I'm confident our coaching staff can change that. Also, a one-year two-way deal has no risk involved.

Got Bling?

Devils3SCRingsSignature.jpg

#23 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Obviously. That's the dig against him, but I'm confident our coaching staff can change that. Also, a one-year two-way deal has no risk involved.

Judging by a few of those highlights, however he seems to like to be a poacher. Or in other words he's more concerned about his goal line than his team's Win line. I hope your right about our coaching staff changing this guy around. The only positive about this seems to be that this is a cheap-o signing.

Edited by TheMazz, 09 August 2012 - 12:09 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#24 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

Do not go by +/- rating for his rookie year because the Senators were an absolute joke.

http://senators.nhl....season=20102011

Edited by Zubie#8, 09 August 2012 - 12:10 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Still haven't seen this confirmed by anyone reputable, but it's August. Whatever the case, assuming this is true, it's an excellent, low-risk signing of the sort that the Devils don't do enough. Butler's not a 'proven' NHLer, but who cares, neither are half our forwards right now. If they move Kovalchuk back to LW (something I'm not sure they will do), I could see Butler as a decent RW for him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Solid 3rd liner. I would love to see him paired up with JJ and Clarkson.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#27 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Still haven't seen this confirmed by anyone reputable, but it's August. Whatever the case, assuming this is true, it's an excellent, low-risk signing of the sort that the Devils don't do enough. Butler's not a 'proven' NHLer, but who cares, neither are half our forwards right now. If they move Kovalchuk back to LW (something I'm not sure they will do), I could see Butler as a decent RW for him.

Ehhh, unless Zajac is the center. I'm under the impression Butler isn't so strong defensively

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

leaving Kovalchuk on RW, it could go something like this:

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson
Tedenby-Josefson-Butler
Carter-S. Gionta-Bernier

I mean, it's far from ideal, but unless they get a forward to fill that Tedenby spot, that's what the Devils are looking at heading into the season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#29 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson
Tedenby-Josefson-Butler
Carter-S. Gionta-Bernier

I mean, it's far from ideal, but unless they get a forward to fill that Tedenby spot, that's what the Devils are looking at heading into the season.

So I guess this means Sykora will not be re-signed with this signing.

n2eg.jpg

#30 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Right but at some point the track record argument doesn't produce. Hell, you can start to see it with Belichick in New England. The Devils need more of an impact player if they want to be significant players again this season. Right now, they're not.

I mean, that sort of thought process is why we're NEVER predicted to be significant players year-in and year-out. Rangers get "impact players" all the time, we don't (minus Kovalchuk); media gets lazy and labels us as a non-threat. I'm not thrilled and over-the-moon excited about this signing, but I'm pretty happy with it. The "go big or go home" mentality that Philly and New York fans (and management) has hasn't really helped their teams out recently; it's all about the little pieces of the puzzle that Lou knows how to assemble, and that's what works for us.

Easy to understate a non-superstar signing; we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Edited by DJ Eco, 09 August 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#31 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

I mean, that sort of thought process is why we're NEVER predicted to be significant players year-in and year-out. Rangers get "impact players" all the time, we don't (minus Kovalchuk); media gets lazy and labels us as a non-threat. I'm not thrilled and over-the-moon excited about this signing, but I'm pretty happy with it. The "go big or go home" mentality that Philly and New York fans (and management) has hasn't really helped their teams out recently; it's all about the little pieces of the puzzle that Lou knows how to assemble, and that's what works for us.

Easy to understate a non-superstar signing; we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Yeah but you can't just go with 4 lines of average guys. There has to be someone who can be a bigger producer.

n2eg.jpg

#32 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Yeah but you can't just go with 4 lines of average guys. There has to be someone who can be a bigger producer.

We have a bunch of guys who are above average, I think this is a very smart signing and he will have a lot to prove and I am sure he will impress a lot of you.

Edited by Zubie#8, 09 August 2012 - 01:31 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#33 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

Butler had by far the best release out of Ottawa Senators late in the 10/11 season during warmups. He is a sniper and will score goals. I can't remember much about his board work.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#34 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Henrique-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson
Tedenby-Josefson-Butler
Carter-S. Gionta-Bernier

This makes the Barch signing look even more useless. But I agree, and the Kostitsyn opportunity is starting to look a bit more appealing to me.

#35 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

This makes the Barch signing look even more useless. But I agree, and the Kostitsyn opportunity is starting to look a bit more appealing to me.

Kovalchuk Zajac Zubrus
Henrique Elias Kostitsyn
Butler Josefson Clarkson
Carter Gionta Bernier

:boogie:

But I doubt Lou will go after AK, I can see him signing Sykora for more depth and that will be it until the season starts.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#36 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm with you. I'm sick of the spare parts signings. How about we sign someone who can help replace Zach's numbers? Sorry to say it, but Clarkson and Elias will not replicate their numbers from last season....

We really could have used Semin...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#37 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,027 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Quality depth signing.

Now either sign AK or somehow acquire a top-6 winger to push Clarkson off the 2nd line and I'll be happy, all things considered.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#38 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

So is this another Steve Bernier type guy who had promise and fizzled a bit? If so ... can the kid forecheck?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#39 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,477 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

So is this another Steve Bernier type guy who had promise and fizzled a bit? If so ... can the kid forecheck?

I think this kid will surprise a lot of people on this board. He had a horrendous start last year and then got injjured. He mainly played on the 4th line after that but still put up 6 goals and 10 assists, and he did have an amazing rookie season so we cannot overlook that. I think the kid will thrive on this team.

Edited by Zubie#8, 09 August 2012 - 02:55 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#40 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

TG Confirms via Twitter

@TGfireandice: Devils confirm they have signed RW Bobby Butler to a one-year, two-way contract.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users