29 replies to this topic

#21 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

Simmonds was drafted in 2007 and made the team in 2008-09. Matteau should not be anywhere near this team.

I just wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was pro out of camp. His upside isn't that high so developing him maybe the difference between 2nd and 3rd liner. Players with his skillset can develop at the NHL level. Yea, even still, 19 is very young to be doing that. They did a similar thing to Clifford.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#22 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Even with our openings at F, I can't see the kid making this team and playing in the NHL this year. He has an NHL frame, but that's it. Even Parise had a season in the minors before playing in the NHL after the lockout.
Posted Image

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

I just wouldn't be terribly surprised if he was pro out of camp. His upside isn't that high so developing him maybe the difference between 2nd and 3rd liner. Players with his skillset can develop at the NHL level. Yea, even still, 19 is very young to be doing that. They did a similar thing to Clifford.

They also did a similar thing with Oscar Moller and that worked out just fine. I'm not saying that Matteau is similar to Moller, just that developing players at the NHL level has its downside. According to 2012 NHL draft equivalencies, based on his numbers from last year, Matteau would score 14 points in 82 games. I don't like starting a player's ELC that early, especially if a replacement can easily be found.

Even with our openings at F, I can't see the kid making this team and playing in the NHL this year. He has an NHL frame, but that's it. Even Parise had a season in the minors before playing in the NHL after the lockout.

Yeah, but Parise had to have a season in the minors. He also started pretty slow for what he would become. Plenty of Devils players never played in the minors.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Plenty of Devils players never played in the minors.

Who? Nieds, Gomez and Larsson are the only recent ones that come to mind. (I assume you're not including players acquired via trade like Kovalchuk or players like Rafalski who were signed out of Europe in their mid-20s). You can include Muller, MacLean and Shanahan if you want to go in the way back machine.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#25 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Who? Nieds, Gomez and Larsson are the only recent ones that come to mind. (I assume you're not including players acquired via trade like Kovalchuk or players like Rafalski who were signed out of Europe in their mid-20s). You can include Muller, MacLean and Shanahan if you want to go in the way back machine.

Zajac didn't

#26 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

There was also Zajac, Sykora, and Paul Martin. David Hale made the team his rookie year, but then went down to the minors the next year.

Honestly, if Matteau has a good camp and is considered ready, then so be it. I would trust the staff on that one. They definitely seem to see something in him.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#27 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

I agree that if they think he's ready, then so be it. However, I just hope they don't rush the kid and stunt/destroy his long term development. I/M/O, the worst thing for a 18-19 year old would be to play 4-6 minutes per game in a 3rd or 4th line role, when he could be getting major minutes in Juniors or the AHL like Henrique did.
Posted Image

#28 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

I agree that if they think he's ready, then so be it. However, I just hope they don't rush the kid and stunt/destroy his long term development. I/M/O, the worst thing for a 18-19 year old would be to play 4-6 minutes per game in a 3rd or 4th line role, when he could be getting major minutes in Juniors or the AHL like Henrique did.

I'm hoping they don't rush him either. I'm looking at this as more that they feel he could compete for a spot and that they will give him a shot.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 15 August 2012 - 04:38 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#29 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

Give him a few games and send him back. Always a good idea to show him what he needs to work on with first hand experience on the NHL level. Then he can go back and hone in those things to be worked on.

#30 P-Way Chief 11

P-Way Chief 11

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:27 AM

Now that we have to deal with that punk Wayne Simmonds for the next 6 years hopefully Matteau will be his nemesis! Someone will have to deal with him eventually, they can't skate away from everything he pulls during the regular season. It would be awesome if Matteau can be that type of player for us (sit right in front of the net, tough, physical, can fight).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users