70 replies to this topic

#61 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

I have a friend who was an absolute die hard Hartford Whalers fan. Loved them like we all love the Devils. When they moved, he didn't watch hockey for a few years, and loosely followed to see how Carolina was doing. When the Canes won the Cup, he felt nothing for them. It took over a decade for him to finally swallow his pride and become a Bruins fan (BEFORE their Cup, I can vouch).
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#62 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Wow, this topic is depressing... I can't even imagine life afte something like the Devils moving. At any given moment, I'm wearing at least 20% Devils gear, not even planned. Devils mousepads, boxers, socks, hat, jackets, 3 million t-shirts, sweatpants, pj bottoms, etc... When I walk out the house, I have SOMETHING Devils on, can't even imagine them not being there; it would be like the death of a relative or a beloved pet, I'd be heartbroken..

I don't think I'd follow the team too much if it moved, I'd probably relocate my attention to another team whose roster I "sorta" like or identify, like Buffalo Sabres, Ottawa Senators or Tampa Bay Lightning.. Still, sh!tty.

#63 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'd become a full time Rangers hater. If those prideless guid fans could embrace a team from a state they live in rather than lick the sweat off NYC's balls, the situation wouldn't be there in the first place. Bunch of wannabes. Same goes for Philly.

#64 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,743 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'd become a full time Rangers hater. If those prideless guid fans could embrace a team from a state they live in rather than lick the sweat off NYC's balls, the situation wouldn't be there in the first place. Bunch of wannabes. Same goes for Philly.

If you REALLY think about it, this was a very strange place to put a hockey team. South Jersey was covered with Philadelphia, North Jersey was covered with the Rangers and the Islanders. The Flyers had had recent success (back-to-back Cups in '74-'75) and were still competitive, the Islanders were in the thick of their multiple Cup run, and the Rangers were an Original Six with a multi-generational fanbase. Also didn't help that the Devils not only sucked when they came here, but didn't have that Lemieux-type that might have been enough on his own to garner his own following. It seems to be asking a lot to tell Flyer, Islander, and Rangers fans to forget the teams they root for, to root for a bad team they have no connection to other than the "NJ" on the front. I'm sure the NJ part of it meant something to certain people, and I do know some older Devils fans (the ones in their 50s) who became Devils fans almost for that reason alone (Hey, they call MY state HOME), but it's not really THAT compelling a reason to change allegiances.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#65 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'd probably become an Islanders fan ugh...but only to continue my hate of the rangers

#66 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

I understand that viewpoint of the older folks, I'm talking about the younger generation such as 16-25 that are Rangers fans living in NJ. Sure, I mean some of them have it passed down through their family and stuff but I always get a chuckle asking a few fans why they turn their back on their own state and root for the Rangers, already knowing "Cause my dads a Ranger fan blah blah blah". I think I stole this from DiG who said it on here but I always say back, "Yeah and your dad sleeps with your mom, do you do that too?"

Always warrants a priceless look back.

#67 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:51 PM

I understand that there are no news on the matter but can you all tone down the doom talk? We are potentially getting a rich owner who will spend to the cap ceiling every year, how about you enjoy what we can be instead of how you plan to kill yourselves.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#68 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,383 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

If they move I'll still be a fan of the team. A rose by any other name and all of that.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#69 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I understand that there are no news on the matter but can you all tone down the doom talk? We are potentially getting a rich owner who will spend to the cap ceiling every year, how about you enjoy what we can be instead of how you plan to kill yourselves.

TG reported that this guy has never spoken to Vanderbeek and that this rumor is baseless.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#70 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

The misrepresentation of why Atlanta moved is also pretty hilarious. The ownership of the building didn't even want them playing there. They were thrown out and since Winnipeg wanted a team and there was nowhere else in the market to keep the pretense of the Atlanta Thrashers going, Winnipeg fell into another hockey team.

#71 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Since I'm an out-of-town fan, in case of the apocalypse (i.e. the Devils relocating) I'd probably still follow the relocated team. I'd just hope for them to keep the "Devils" name, colors, only adjust the logo to the new location etc. OR if they changed it all or disbanded or whatever I might also consider rooting for the Isles (there is always this ant-Rangers connection ;) ) or just become numb for a season or two, follow hockey loosely as an independent observer and develop attachment to some other team over time.

Either way, it would seriously SUCK to lose the team. The location, the arena, everything - it's a part of the club and the experience, even if you are hundreds of miles away and only watch on TV. It wouldn't be the same with the club situated in a different place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users