118 replies to this topic

#21 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

Van Riemsdyk is from Middletown but was a Rag$ fan. That's why I root against the kid. I can't help it.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#22 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,933 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Van Riemsdyk is from Middletown but was a Rag$ fan. That's why I root against the kid. I can't help it.

So was Bobby Ryan...from central jersey and grew up during the Devils 3 cup run...Flyers fan.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#23 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

So was Bobby Ryan...from central jersey and grew up during the Devils 3 cup run...Flyers fan.

Posted Image
... How to define LOSER.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#24 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I think I remember Jeff Halpern saying he was a Devils fan during the 95 run. Since then I always wished him well.

#25 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

I remember when Shop Rite, Iselin Cake Box and Robinson's was there. ;)

Cake Box and Robinson's must have been before my time, but as a kid I always used to go to the movie theater and comic store behind Shop Rite. There also was a FoodTown right by Shop Rite too. I spent countless hours being dragged miserably through Marshall's, Mandee, and Drug Fair with my mom haha. So many fun birthday parties at the United Skates roller rink behind Marshall's though. I dominated all the other kids at air hockey there haha. That stretch of Oak Tree Road also used to have a Roy Rogers, a Boston Market, a Dairy Queen, a bowling alley which might still be there, and a Pizza Hut that I always got a discount at for getting Honor Roll at School 18.

I grew up in ISELIN. JFK???

Yep, class of 2005!

Central Jersey? Isn't he from Cherry Hill?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#26 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

Central Jersey? You Northerners have no concept of "Central" Jersey :P

He's Cherry Hill, all Failyer country.

Edited by Jimmy Leeds, 21 August 2012 - 08:21 AM.

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#27 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

He's from Cherry Hill which is right near Philthy. Hes still a moron...but man oh man would I love to have him on our team

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Central Jersey doesn't exist.

#29 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

Why do you say that?

#30 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Monmouth County has a HUGE Devils population.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#31 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Nonsense, I don't consider myself North or South, I am in between.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#32 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Amen. Central Jersey does absolutely exist. I am 45 minutes from Newark, an hour from Philly, and 15 minutes from the beach. If that is not Central Jersey than I don't know what is.

#33 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Yup, Monmouth and Bergen are the main cores of the fan base
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yup, Monmouth and Bergen are the main cores of the fan base

Any idea why that is? I'm surprised Monmouth is bigger than places like Morris, Somerset and Essex.

#35 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Any idea why that is? I'm surprised Monmouth is bigger than places like Morris, Somerset and Essex.

I think Monmouth has one of the highest percentage of middle class families in the state, and the largest number of families with kids under 18 if I am correct.

Edited by Zubie#8, 21 August 2012 - 12:55 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#36 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

A lot of it just comes with a pride standpoint of being from New Jersey. People who live in Monmouth, Ocean and the Shore area seem to take a lot of pride in the area itself, ie. organizations such as Benny Go Home. It's tough to be so prideful in your area and state and then turn around and be a wannabe guido NYR fan. Brick and Manasquan have really become NJD strong holds. A lot of it has to do with being North Jersey transplants as well. Very, very few Philly fans in Monmouth county. Tough to explain considering we get both Philly and NY stations.

#37 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

A lot of it just comes with a pride standpoint of being from New Jersey. People who live in Monmouth, Ocean and the Shore area seem to take a lot of pride in the area itself, ie. organizations such as Benny Go Home. It's tough to be so prideful in your area and state and then turn around and be a wannabe guido NYR fan. Brick and Manasquan have really become NJD strong holds. A lot of it has to do with being North Jersey transplants as well. Very, very few Philly fans in Monmouth county. Tough to explain considering we get both Philly and NY stations.

This deserved another +1

Cant describe it better than that, I was surprised how many Devil fans there are when I moved to Ocean, but Monmouth is amazing.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#38 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Reality check. I've lived in Monmouth since 1966. I still count 2 to 1 Rag fans over Devs fans all the time. I was at a place called the Fireside Bar taking a friend out who got a major college basketball head coaching job during the playoffs. This is in Freehold by Marlboro. They had Ranger sh!t on the walls and when I asked a server WTF???, he tells me, "This is a Rangers bar". Of course I was pissed and vowed to go there later in the series, never did though.

Moore's Tavern in Freehold had fistfights after Game 6.

Mike Haviland and his family were all Ranger fans.

Then.......during the finals at an event at Manalapan Rec park, I jostled with about 8 little kids who were all rooting for the Kings because they were all transplanted Ranger fan families.

Not as supportive as you'd think.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#39 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Great response above but in terms off Essex and Morris, it's pretty hard to say.. I know in western Essex where I live the Devils definitely are the majority, but there are also a bunch of Rags fans.. I think it seems like there are more because they are a vocal minority

Morris might be a result of people who work in the city.. The area has a lot of money and it ain't from farming, so I'd have to guess its from NYC

Somerset is weird.. I work here and everyone I know are either Devils or don't care for hockey.. But I was at a bar down here (Green Knoll Grill) and apparently the Islanders do viewing parties there every season.. Just south is Princeton which starts Flyers country
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Nonsense, I don't consider myself North or South, I am in between.

I have heard claims from people who live in both Morristown and in Jackson that they live in "Central Jersey." That is just utter nonsense and when there is such a large disparity as to where it starts and ends from person to person then you know people don't know what they hell they are talking about.

The dividing line is from the Driscoll bridge area going SW and then hitting at about Trenton. In Monmouth County, unless you are in the Sayreville area, you are South Jersey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users