118 replies to this topic

#61 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

...I am from East Brunswick, and it's south of Piscataway and north of Cranbury, does this mean I get to say I'm from Central Jersey? :rolleyes:

But seriously, central Jersey exists between South Jersey and North Jersey.

I believe that EB is North Jersey lol but barely.

#62 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Central jersey mostly exists in the minds of South Jersey people who don't want to be called South Jersey. Also I would not go by county as for Middlesex you have Piscataway that is most certainly North Jersey while areas like Dayton and Cranbury are certainly South Jersey.

Can you blame them? :lol:

Not like anybody here cares, but this reminds me of the ongoing debate as to where upstate NY starts. Most people in NYC say it's anything north of the city or anything north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. Others say the dividing line is Kingston or Poughkeepsie. A few weirdos think upstate NY doesn't begin until you hit the Adirondacks.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#63 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Can you blame them? :lol:

Not like anybody here cares, but this reminds me of the ongoing debate as to where upstate NY starts. Most people in NYC say it's anything north of the city or anything north of the Tappan Zee Bridge. Others say the dividing line is Kingston or Poughkeepsie. A few weirdos think upstate NY doesn't begin until you hit the Adirondacks.

I always thought that it was weird how New Rochelle and Yonkers were considered "upstate NY" when they're just 15 minutes from the city lol

When I think of upstate NY I think of places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, the Adirondacks and Niagra Falls

Edited by SMantzas, 22 August 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#64 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

I never said anyone south of me is South Jersey. I said anyone south of the line that runs directly from the Driscoll Bridge to Trenton is south jersey. Most of Monmouth County therefore is South Jersey.

Central America is much different culturally than the rest of North America (US & Canada) while central jersey has no defining culture that is different than North or South Jersey.

Also if you want to be technical, if you look on any map those Central American countries are technically counted as North America. :whistling:

While Central Jersey is more closely related to Northern New Jersey than South, it still has its own cultural distinctions that distinguish it from the north imo

#65 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

i saw stefan matteau father in rouyn noranda and i well at him Devils Devils!

#66 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

While Central Jersey is more closely related to Northern New Jersey than South, it still has its own cultural distinctions that distinguish it from the north imo

Such as?

#67 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Such as?

Less Italians and no Bennies :P
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#68 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Such as?

Farmland, open space, a little slower pace, more friendly

#69 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

It truly is a mix. You can have farms on one side of the town and the other side can be built up and plenty of townhouses and developments. Think Colts Neck, Howell.

Drive south of exit 60 on the Parkway and it literally is a different world. I went camping down in the Pine Barrens this summer. Southern drawl and dialect that might as well be Alabama. Farms for miles.

#70 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

It truly is a mix. You can have farms on one side of the town and the other side can be built up and plenty of townhouses and developments. Think Colts Neck, Howell.

As diverse as Upper Freehold Township to Asbury Park

Drive south of exit 60 on the Parkway and it literally is a different world. I went camping down in the Pine Barrens this summer. Southern drawl and dialect that might as well be Alabama. Farms for miles.

The actual true Sourth Jersey. Spent four wonderful years at Stockton State, right in the heart of the Pine Barrens.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#71 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Monmouth County Devils fan checking in. There's definitely a pretty healthy mix of Rangers and Devils fans here because of how many transplanted New Yorkers there are, but the Devils fan population continues to grow, especially as the 80's and 90's kids get older, because they seem to be picking the Devils, which in turn is converting parents as well. Also, I've met a bunch of transplants from NYC who took to the Devils once moving here. I think the biggest reason you have so many young Devils fans here though is that hockey continues to grow in the county and it pretty much started when the Devils came to be and really boomed with the Cup wins. For a lot of young people, myself included, that was our first big exposure to hockey in the 90's (I was 7 in '95). It created a lot of first generation Devils fans, who are now growing up and starting to start families of their own and you're starting to get the first of the second-generation Devils fans.

Also, the argument against there being a "central Jersey" is hilarious. To call this area South Jersey is just nonsense. South Jersey might as well be the actual south. Hell, there's a fvcking rodeo down there. Monmouth, Ocean, etc. all take a bit of culture from both North and South and create something different with a mix of the the two. I can't believe that's even being debated. If you've ever been to REAL South Jersey and consider it comparable to the suburbs and shore areas here, then you're just being ignorant, plain and simple. Totally different worlds.

believe-devs.jpg

#72 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

Monmouth County Devils fan checking in. There's definitely a pretty healthy mix of Rangers and Devils fans here because of how many transplanted New Yorkers there are, but the Devils fan population continues to grow, especially as the 80's and 90's kids get older, because they seem to be picking the Devils, which in turn is converting parents as well. Also, I've met a bunch of transplants from NYC who took to the Devils once moving here. I think the biggest reason you have so many young Devils fans here though is that hockey continues to grow in the county and it pretty much started when the Devils came to be and really boomed with the Cup wins. For a lot of young people, myself included, that was our first big exposure to hockey in the 90's (I was 7 in '95). It created a lot of first generation Devils fans, who are now growing up and starting to start families of their own and you're starting to get the first of the second-generation Devils fans.

Also, the argument against there being a "central Jersey" is hilarious. To call this area South Jersey is just nonsense. South Jersey might as well be the actual south. Hell, there's a fvcking rodeo down there. Monmouth, Ocean, etc. all take a bit of culture from both North and South and create something different with a mix of the the two. I can't believe that's even being debated. If you've ever been to REAL South Jersey and consider it comparable to the suburbs and shore areas here, then you're just being ignorant, plain and simple. Totally different worlds.

This is where I think people run into trouble. My area is FAR from the "south". If you ever came to Mount Laurel, Marlton, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Medford etc etc, you'd see it's just as developed as any other area in the North. I realize that the Pine Barrens make up a large area of SJ, but the real population hubs are in Burlington and Camden counties

#73 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

This is where I think people run into trouble. My area is FAR from the "south". If you ever came to Mount Laurel, Marlton, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Medford etc etc, you'd see it's just as developed as any other area in the North. I realize that the Pine Barrens make up a large area of SJ, but the real population hubs are in Burlington and Camden counties

Oh, I know there are areas down there that are not like that, but the majority is. I have a friend who lives in Haddonfield and I love it down there, but that area is also made up of Philly suburbs pretty much, so of course it's gonna be more developed. The shore areas/Atlantic City and the western areas near Philly and Trenton have people, but that ENTIRE area in between is like an entirely different world.

believe-devs.jpg

#74 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

Such as?

I've been to South Jersey (More specifically Gloucester County & Franklinville and to someone that has lived in North Jersey their whole life you wouldn't even think that you are still in the same state. Very rural, slower pace. Lots of farm land...

Reminds me more of a part of the Southern United States then what I am used to. Not saying that it's a bad thing. (Minus all the Philly sports fans) but the differences between that and say...Morris County and Denville/Rockaway are night and day.

Edited by TheMazz, 22 August 2012 - 12:34 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#75 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Apparently you've never been to Toms River, Lavallette, Seaside Park, Normandy Beach, Point Pleasant, etc. from May through August. :boogie: (EDIT: This emo is the closest thing to a fist pump I could find)

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 22 August 2012 - 12:43 PM.

Posted Image

#76 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

A lot of it just comes with a pride standpoint of being from New Jersey. People who live in Monmouth, Ocean and the Shore area seem to take a lot of pride in the area itself, ie. organizations such as Benny Go Home. It's tough to be so prideful in your area and state and then turn around and be a wannabe guido NYR fan.

This is exactly it. I went to Southern California with some friends last month and my Rangers fan roommate kept saying, "Man we don't have stuff like this in Jersey!" Pretty much everything we did there we can do here, except we have public transportation and even if we don't use it it's a shorter drive out here.

Central jersey mostly exists in the minds of South Jersey people who don't want to be called South Jersey. Also I would not go by county as for Middlesex you have Piscataway that is most certainly North Jersey while areas like Dayton and Cranbury are certainly South Jersey.

I grew up in Iselin, lived in Piscataway, New Brunswick, and Somerset while attending Rutgers, and now I live in Highland Park. I consider all of these towns Central Jersey. They are obviously not South and they are too different than typical North Jersey towns to be considered North Jersey.

Edited by devilsfan26, 22 August 2012 - 01:01 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#77 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Ever been to Sussex, Warren and Hunterdon counties? Also throw in Cumberland and Salem in the south and you got the same thing.

#78 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Most people would agree that North Carolina is considered as part of "The South" However, you will find that the culture in Raleigh is pretty different than the culture in Mobile, Alabama but both are considered as being part of "The South". Monmouth and Ocean counties may share things with North Jersey, but they are more like South Jersey than North jersey.

Edited by DevsMan84, 22 August 2012 - 01:27 PM.

#79 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

That certainly is a blessing so I will admit that.

#80 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

Monmouth and Ocean counties may share things with North Jersey, but they are more like South Jersey than North jersey.

Fine....you win. :rolleyes:

Apparently you've never been to Toms River, Lavallette, Seaside Park, Normandy Beach, Point Pleasant, etc. from May through August. :boogie: (EDIT: This emo is the closest thing to a fist pump I could find)

Hence the word "Less" :lol:
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users