Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1541 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

That last sentence made me legit lol.. I'm sure they'll play in Sunrise this year and I bet it'll be a big game to their fans so it should be fun to go to

I just can't wait to see what inconvenient day they schedule the Devils game(s) in Raleigh so I will be unable to see the Devils in Carolina for the third year in a row.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#1542 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I am happy the lockout is over, absolutely, but what the hell are we left with? Do we even have a competitive team to field this year?

We were just two wins away from being Stanley Cup champions and you are asking if we have a competitive team this year?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#1543 Otty Ott-Sauce

Otty Ott-Sauce

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Thank god hockey is back. Now it's time to win the KovalCup!!!!
KovalCup 2011-2025!

#1544 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

We were just two wins away from being Stanley Cup champions and you are asking if we have a competitive team this year?

It's not an unfair question, considering we were the #6 seed last year, lost Parise/Poni to FA and Henrique to injury for at least 10-15% of the season. Not to mention two goalies that haven't played in several months. Having eight healthy D means we 'can' make a move to upgrade our forward core but we'll see what, if any gets done there.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1545 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

It's not an unfair question, considering we were the #6 seed last year, lost Parise/Poni to FA and Henrique to injury for at least 10-15% of the season. Not to mention two goalies that haven't played in several months. Having eight healthy D means we 'can' make a move to upgrade our forward core but we'll see what, if any gets done there.

You don't have to finish at the top of your conference to be a competitive team, every year there is at least one team that pulls off upsets and goes deep into the playoffs, what place you finish in doesn't really mean much at all. Also every team is going to have injuries, and every team is dealing with guys coming back from not having played in a while. I'm not saying we will definitely have another deep playoff run, but I have no concerns about the team failing to be competitive, I think that's a little over the top.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#1546 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Wow more great news - according to Larry Brooks, Mark (N)Єverson retired!

Well I guess now that the Devils are apparently financially stable he has nothing to write about. Either that or he used up all his 1994 references during the Conference Finals last season.
--John Buccigross

#1547 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

My real concern is a good Rangers team that hasn't had the **** beat out of them for a few months.. I truly think that Torts style impedes their ability to be fresh for a Finals but who knows now that they've had a good amount of time off.. Hopefully he has them eating pucks again soon

Well I guess now that the Devils are apparently financially stable he has nothing to write about. Either that or he used up all his 1994 references during the Conference Finals last season.

Win
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1548 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I could be wrong but I think USA winning that gold is going to help the NHL bring back fans. I know a lot of people I know we're getting very into the run both die hards and casual fans. It definitely got people back into hockey.

#1549 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I could be wrong but I think USA winning that gold is going to help the NHL bring back fans. I know a lot of people I know we're getting very into the run both die hards and casual fans. It definitely got people back into hockey.

And I think it's great for USA Hockey player development as well.. Screw the Canadian elitists, I hope we take gold at the Olympics
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1550 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

This is a skewed version of how NJ's season went - they get back Zajac, Josefson, Zidlicky, and Tallinder - all players who played half or less of last season. It's up to Brodeur and Hedberg to be .910 goalies for the Devils to have a shot at the playoffs.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1551 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

This is a skewed version of how NJ's season went - they get back Zajac, Josefson, Zidlicky, and Tallinder - all players who played half or less of last season. It's up to Brodeur and Hedberg to be .910 goalies for the Devils to have a shot at the playoffs.

I guess I'm just being influenced by all the experts talking about us being doomed without Parise.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1552 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I think it only helped the die-hards get into it, the ones who have the NHL Network (or TSN) and got up at 4 in the morning to watch most of the games aren't casual fans and this really had zero coverage in the US. Thankfully the gold-medal game was at 8 AM on a Saturday morning but still I really don't think the WJC mattered to casual fans. Maybe it helped the die-hards get back into it, remember why they love the game to start with.

Seeing the impact players from 'non-traditional' markets have made on the juniors team makes me hope the damage from the lockout doesn't last too long though.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#1553 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

plus we lost Robinson and i wouldnt underestimate what he was bringing to the players

www.SterioDesign.com

#1554 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,098 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I recall despite us being Eastern Conference Chapions we were still predicted by "experts" to finish 11th this season.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1555 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yeah but you also have to figure some guys are not going to stay healthy the whole season this year either, especially with the condensed schedule. Any injury to a scoring forward will be even more disasterous.

plus we lost Robinson and i wouldnt underestimate what he was bringing to the players

Well more to the point the 'whole' staff has turned over too. I think they'll be fine but it's not ideal to have a whole new group of assistants in a short season. It took a while last year for the team to get on the same page.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 06 January 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#1556 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,983 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

My real concern is a good Rangers team that hasn't had the **** beat out of them for a few months.. I truly think that Torts style impedes their ability to be fresh for a Finals but who knows now that they've had a good amount of time off.. Hopefully he has them eating pucks again soon

Win

If the Rangers win the Cup this year, I wonder if their fans, some of whom will still go out of their way to try and discredit the Devils' '95 Cup, will consider it half a Cup? I'm guessing they won't.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1557 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

point is there's no way to know how the season will be for them... we could be lucky or play a really good system and make it or we could have key injured players and everything and we could finish in the basement, who knows... we lost a 30goals guy and i really don't think clarkson will be able to repeat, convinced it was a fluke lol i also dont think sykora could repeat a 20 goals season... so we're gonna need some productions cause our goal against will certainly not save us like it was before we nneed production

www.SterioDesign.com

#1558 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

point is there's no way to know how the season will be for them... we could be lucky or play a really good system and make it or we could have key injured players and everything and we could finish in the basement, who knows... we lost a 30goals guy and i really don't think clarkson will be able to repeat, convinced it was a fluke lol i also dont think sykora could repeat a 20 goals season... so we're gonna need some productions cause our goal against will certainly not save us like it was before we nneed production

definitely, i dont see either of Clarkson or Sykora repeating. We can still be a strong team, but I'm convinced that we need help to repeat where we were last season. We'll still be competitive don't get me wrong

LGD!!!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#1559 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Yeah but you also have to figure some guys are not going to stay healthy the whole season this year either, especially with the condensed schedule. Any injury to a scoring forward will be even more disasterous.

Obviously, but an injury to a defenseman will be much less disastrous. The Devils used 32 games of Kurtis Foster last year for god's sake. My point was that yes, the Devils finished 6th and on the back of a lot of shootout wins, but they were one of the best teams in the league from the Zidlicky trade on and losing Parise and Ponikarovsky doesn't totally take that away.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1560 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,715 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

We have 14m in cap space tho... so if we're in a position to get players at the deadline or next summer... theres a few id be willing to give a shot (most of them would be impossible to get but a man can dream) Iginla, Getzlaf, Visnovsky (even if our D is packed), Perry, McDonald, Horton, Roy, Weiss, Filppula,Poni, Larose...

and of course im hoping we can resign Elias, Zajac, Clarkson, Zubrus maybe Zid and Harrold, were gonna resign josefson and henrique for sure

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users