Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

Never mind that they can just use it as leverage in early November anyway :rolleyes:

And if the Winter Classic does get canceled, there'll be no season. The owners aren't giving that up and not going to the abyss again.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#142 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Detroit VP Jimmy Devellano, in an interview with Island Sports News:

"Each owner / team has a decision as to how they want to pay their players, as long as they are under the cap. Now Donald Fehr (the NHLPA executive director) would have you believe by getting rid of the cap, the owners would make more money and that the sky is the limit, but trust me, the owners would lose their asses. We've tried that. It doesn't work. There is just too much cost involved in running and owning a team.

"It's very complicated and way too much for the average Joe to understand, but having said that, I will tell you this: The owners can basically be viewed as the Ranch, and the players, and me included, are the cattle. The owners own the Ranch and allow the players to eat there. That's the way its always been and that the way it will be forever. And the owners simply aren't going to let a union push them around. It's not going to happen."

http://www.philly.co...l#ixzz27CceUeAV

Edited by 95Crash, 22 September 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#143 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Never mind that they can just use it as leverage in early November anyway :rolleyes:

And if the Winter Classic does get canceled, there'll be no season. The owners aren't giving that up and not going to the abyss again.

I don't agree. Right now, the assumptions on the owners' side are that fans will return. I think they're right for a half-season lockout, but I think they are wrong about a full season lockout.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#144 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,657 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Holik has been assuming at least New Years, maybe a full season. He thinks its that bad from what he has heard.

#145 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Holik has been assuming at least New Years, maybe a full season. He thinks its that bad from what he has heard.

The players just lose too much by sitting out for a full year. The owners of the small teams also lose too much. It'll be enough to get a deal done, I think.

#146 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

The players just lose too much by sitting out for a full year. The owners of the small teams also lose too much. It'll be enough to get a deal done, I think.

:pray:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#147 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

In a statement, [NHL deputy commissioner Bill] Daly said the Wings and the league agree that Devellano's comments are "neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the league's by-laws. Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations." Daly didn't say Devellano's comments were untrue. The problem is that they were true, or essentially true to the owners' mindset, and the truth hurts.

Devellano fined $250K for comments, owners enjoy their silence

EDIT: Fixed above link, which wasn't working.

Edited by 95Crash, 22 September 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#148 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

I don't agree. Right now, the assumptions on the owners' side are that fans will return. I think they're right for a half-season lockout, but I think they are wrong about a full season lockout.

You and me both...unfortunately they might just be thick-headed enough to learn that lesson the hard way. You just can't do this twice in eight years, with the second time coming after what happened with the economy in this country. Fans won't put up with it outside of Canada.

And I do think the Winter Classic is all but a certain drop-dead date. The owners aren't going to give up that revenue and publicity and then come back after unless they get MAJOR concessions from the players, concessions Fehr won't give. If they were going to give those kinds of concessions then why bother holding out this long to begin with?

Edited by NJDevs4978, 22 September 2012 - 08:32 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#149 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,797 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

A $250k fine? Holy sh!t, they really don't want anyone else speaking out

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#150 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,776 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:42 PM

I'm not so sure about that fine for speaking out...I remember the leafs in 2005 made a statement that hit the press about them not wanting the lockout, wanting to play hockey etc. Don't think they ever got fined. Might've been the team president who made the comment

If they extort this money from Devellano...Ilitch will reimburse him under the table

Edited by '7', 22 September 2012 - 10:45 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#151 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:19 PM

NHL lockout: Lack of respect, mutual mistrust left over from 2005 stoppage

There is an undercurrent of unfinished business from the lockout that canceled the 2004-05 season. It's not just because the league let the players' percentage of HRR climb to 57 percent and left too many loopholes for teams and agents to exploit, and now the league wants the players' percentage of HRR under 50 percent and those loopholes closed. It's not just because the union accepted a salary cap and 24-percent salary rollback, and now the players don't want to take another pay cut.

The owners think the players should be grateful for how the last labor agreement worked out for them; the players feel they were sold a bill of goods and are being sold one again. The players think the owners aren't solving their problems; the owners don't appreciate being told how to run their businesses. The owners don't respect the players' resolve; the players don't trust the owners' ethics.

The players know they have already lost – that it is just a matter of how much they will lose at this point. They know the owners have the leverage of the lockout. They know they might give up money that they'll never get back. They know they are taking a risk if they play in Europe. They know they broke last time.

But they insist they are more united and informed than they were last time – partly because of last time, thanks to their experience, thanks to Fehr – and they feel if they give in again that the owners will just come back again.

"The players are now looking for fairness and reasonableness more than anything else," Pulver said. "It comes down to the level of fairness and respect, really, and holding together as a group."

It might be a while.

EDIT: Article link wasn't working originally. I think I fixed it.

Edited by 95Crash, 22 September 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#152 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

This week will dictate what kind of lockout we have. IF they make progress we might lose like a week of games or none if lucky. If they keep up this stupid cold war bullsh!t then we're missing months of the season

#153 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

This week will dictate what kind of lockout we have. IF they make progress we might lose like a week of games or none if lucky. If they keep up this stupid cold war bullsh!t then we're missing months of the season

They are going to miss months of the season. That's already established.

#154 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

lol @ my original vote for Nov 12

#155 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

lol @ my original vote for Nov 12

HAHAHA I think I accidentally clicked on Oct 12, when I really meant Oct 13 ;)

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#156 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

Found this on another board..

http://www.nytimes.c...irrelevant.html

"The Fans Are Irrelevant in the Business of the N.H.L."

I already purchased tickets to opening night in Albany, so you know what I am thinking...

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#157 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,003 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Wednesday would have been the first day of the preseason for us. To think we could have been watching some entertaining hockey tomorrow. :(

#158 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,652 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Wednesday would have been the first day of the preseason for us. To think we could have been watching some entertaining hockey tomorrow. :(

I know. This is the time where we should be arguing about who will have a spot on the team or not, before Lou and Deboer bring someone up that none of us guessed.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#159 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:41 PM

Thought has crossed my mind multiple times. :(

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#160 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,935 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I honestly haven't thought about dates because A) we haven't gotten our season tickets yet and B) I haven't expected the season to start before December for months, maybe since the first week of July when all that money got thrown around while the owners were crying poor.

I do admit on October 13 and November 11 I'll probably be thinking of what could have been, but those dates I knew in advance for different reasons.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 25 September 2012 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users