Photo

Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!)

• Please log in to reply
1718 replies to this topic

Poll: Lockout 2012-2013 (Hockey's back!) (130 member(s) have cast votes)

When will we see hockey?

1. Oct 12 (10 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. Nov 12 (19 votes [14.62%])

Percentage of vote: 14.62%

3. Dec 12 (26 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Jan 13 (33 votes [25.38%])

Percentage of vote: 25.38%

5. Feb 13 (1 votes [0.77%])

Percentage of vote: 0.77%

6. Mar 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Apr 13 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. Oct 13 (14 votes [10.77%])

Percentage of vote: 10.77%

9. Never (27 votes [20.77%])

Percentage of vote: 20.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1621 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

What becomes of the Winter Classic this year?

I can see no all star game, but nobody gives a crap about that anyway.

Could the NHL perhaps start the season with the Winter Classic? Say Friday night Jan 18th...and then have every other team play on the 19th?
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1622 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

What becomes of the Winter Classic this year?

I can see no all star game, but nobody gives a crap about that anyway.

Could the NHL perhaps start the season with the Winter Classic? Say Friday night Jan 18th...and then have every other team play on the 19th?

It was cancelled 3 months ago. It's not happening.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#1623 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

The Devils, along with every other NHL team, voted in favor of the lockout. If they wanted to express token support for not locking out, they could have done so.

None of us know what Devils management expressed to NHL brass, nor will we ever. IMO, JVB never wanted to cancel a single game.

1dun.jpg

#1624 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

I don't remember who said what or when since this has been a wild ride but I don't think its right to harp on Satans Hockey. This guy has supported the Devils for a long time, been a season ticket holder, and even organized a group where fans could go be in a section together with other fans to be loud and cheer on the team. He has every right to be pissed and make whatever decision he feels is right.

We're all Devils fans here so I'm not trying to start a fight (especially with you because I like you as a poster) but I think everyone should be able to have whatever reaction they want. I don't think any poster on here wants to knock on the Devils but its the only way a lot of people can express themselves.

I have to admit, I liked the whole Just Drop It idea but now that hockey is back, I am considering being a hypocrit and going back on my pledge. No matter how hurt and pissed I am over this and know we will be back here in 8 years, I just don't know if I can stay away from the game on tv. For that, I hate myself a little bit.

Looking at it yes a bit harsh, and I've been around long enough that I respect SH also. I could just be extremely turned off by reading HF boards and their "fans". No offense SH but there's been multiple occasions where you've said you can't wait to cancel. I'd love if I could afford the luxury of having season tickets let alone going to every home game..or even 80% of them...NOTHING against you. I've lived through both the other lockouts and I'm not at all affected like some are with this lockout.

I for one, will admit, I'm a sheeple ;)

Edited by Coorslight, 07 January 2013 - 06:28 AM.

1dun.jpg

#1625 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Now, can we get to the real importantness of all that is the NHL?!?!

Someone set up a poll for who makes the first GDT!

I'm game.

1dun.jpg

#1626 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,185 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

No doubt Lou and the rest of Devils upper management wanted a full season. However what JVB wanted will remain a mystery. I'm thinking Bettman likely sold him a bill of goods ("If we lockout we can steal x y and z from the players") and plus he was probably pressured by the thug/bully hardline Jacobs types as well. Remember to JVB it's important not to look like a dissenter, a softie to his peers. His peers are the rest of the billionaires...so he just goes with the crowd and tries not to ruffle any feathers. He doesnt want to make any enemies in that room.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#1627 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,143 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Per Bob McKenzie
Just a low rumble for now, but there are whispers KHL teams may be offering "inducements" to get RUS stars to stay and not return to NHL.

In last 24 hours, multiple sources told me NHL teams would do well to have roll call because it's possible a RUS player or two may not show.

KHL you leave my Kovy alone, have we heard about him at all though? i dont think i saw anything

www.SterioDesign.com

#1628 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Per Bob McKenzie
Just a low rumble for now, but there are whispers KHL teams may be offering "inducements" to get RUS stars to stay and not return to NHL.

In last 24 hours, multiple sources told me NHL teams would do well to have roll call because it's possible a RUS player or two may not show.

KHL you leave my Kovy alone, have we heard about him at all though? i dont think i saw anything

I don't think Russia wants to risk anything before Sochi

#1629 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

I definitely see what you are saying. I feel like whatever decision I make is the wrong decision so I might as well choose the wrong decision that allows me to watch the Devils. Essentially I'm just going to accept the fact that I am the NHL's bitch and will be for the rest of my life.

This kinda sums it up for me, too. Every principled bone in my body is saying to stay away, they'll just do this to me again. But I can't NOT watch hockey. Just can't do it. Like Coorslight, I'm totally a sheeple.

While I can't make the principled decision to stay away from the game and my team, I can say this: I won't set foot in that arena this year. If I go to Newark for any games, it'll be to watch from one of the bars nearby. (Countdown till I renege on that begins now ...)
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#1630 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sweet.

Hey everyone.

Oops sorry, had to change my sig. from 4 to 5 Conference Championships :giggle:

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3, 07 January 2013 - 08:45 AM.

Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#1631 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,685 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

This kinda sums it up for me, too. Every principled bone in my body is saying to stay away, they'll just do this to me again. But I can't NOT watch hockey. Just can't do it. Like Coorslight, I'm totally a sheeple.

While I can't make the principled decision to stay away from the game and my team, I can say this: I won't set foot in that arena this year. If I go to Newark for any games, it'll be to watch from one of the bars nearby. (Countdown till I renege on that begins now ...)

After a couple days of reading why fans should boycott, and why they shouldn't - I think in the end the moral of the story is do what you want, and then you're not beholden to anyone - whatever that is.

If you want to go back as much as you did before, then do so. Hockey is a hobby we enjoy in whatever free time we have, not our livelihood. We can spend as much or little time and money on it as we want. If you want to cut back money spent/time watching games to send a message while still enjoying as much as you want on TV or computer streams that's perfectly legitimate, or just cut back if you have found other things you enjoy or are prioritizing other things in life.

If your aim in not going to games/spending money is because you can't enjoy it anymore after everything that's happened (and/or you've really found other things to do or can't afford it) it's one thing. If your aim is just to 'punish' the parties involved or trying to make sure they don't lock out eight years from now by depriving yourself cold turkey, then you're boycotting for the wrong reason imo. Then you're letting their actions control you, and not vice-versa.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 January 2013 - 08:46 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1632 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

If your aim in not going to games/spending money is because you can't enjoy it anymore after everything that's happened (and/or you've really found other things to do or can't afford it) it's one thing. If your aim is just to 'punish' the parties involved or trying to make sure they don't lock out eight years from now by depriving yourself cold turkey, then you're boycotting for the wrong reason imo. Then you're letting their actions control you, and not vice-versa.

It isn't so much because I can't enjoy it or I want to punish anyone. I'd just rather my dollars go to those bars/restaurants that invested in Newark and must have lost a ton of money by not having all those Devils crowds for the first half of the season.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#1633 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,685 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

It isn't so much because I can't enjoy it or I want to punish anyone. I'd just rather my dollars go to those bars/restaurants that invested in Newark and must have lost a ton of money by not having all those Devils crowds for the first half of the season.

And that's perfectly legitimate, you're not depriving yourself against your own will in the end. I just don't like fans to compare themselves or others to 'sheep, jilted lovers, etc'. They're not forcing us to watch, and there is other hockey out there.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 07 January 2013 - 09:39 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#1634 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Pretty much where I am. If I go up to Newark, it will be for that reason. Better food and drink too!

It will take me a while to get back into it, but I'm not scarred for life, as far as the NHL brand goes. Slowly but surely I'll be back on board.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1635 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

The lockouts have sucked, no doubt, but I've never considered dropping the sport or league. I love the Devils and the NHL game too much. It just seems silly to spite myself by not watching/not going to games/not purchase merchandise just to take some sort of stand/protest. Obviously some others feel differently, and I respect that, but that's just how I feel.

Glad the game is back, LGD.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#1636 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Another strong season capped with a cup and the draft in the rock will make JVB a very happy man. It's looking good for this team.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#1637 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,721 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

The lockouts have sucked, no doubt, but I've never considered dropping the sport or league. I love the Devils and the NHL game too much. It just seems silly to spite myself by not watching/not going to games/not purchase merchandise just to take some sort of stand/protest. Obviously some others feel differently, and I respect that, but that's just how I feel.

Glad the game is back, LGD.

I'm to the point where everyone is entitled to feel however they want about this. No right or wrong. The last two times I was first on line to come back, this time not so much. The one thing I don't like is anyone telling anyone else how they should feel, or think they can dictate a person's level of fandom if he or she doesn't sprint right to the arena for the first puck drop.

It would be nice if there was truly a way of letting everyone involved know that enough is enough, next time may be the last, but there isn't...there just aren't nearly enough people willing to take that stand, and several other fans are happy to take whatever the NHL gives them, so any boycotts aren't going to make the desired impact. No implied criticisms here, just stating facts. What's sad is the fact that the NHL previously lost a whole season probably makes what happened this year more tolerable in some fans' eyes than it should be..."Hey, at least they didn't lose the season, let's go to the game!" Kinda sad when yet another truncated NHL season almost feels like a bonus somehow.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#1638 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,903 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Sterio: I bet Kovalchuk is already on a plane to NJ. Remember that if a 48 game season happens, his contract will have him making around $6M. I doubt very much Russia can compete with that, especially in light of the insurance that Kovalchuk must've had to take out on his contract.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1639 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,903 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

As for boycotts, the only demand I make is that I don't read about them. If you don't want to watch, don't watch - don't attention whore yourself after games in a game thread being like 'Oh, I didn't watch, I'm boycotting the NHL'.

I watched an embarrassing amount of the NBA during this; no one mentioned the NBA lockout that I can remember, and that happened last year. Fans will quickly forget.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1640 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

As for boycotts, the only demand I make is that I don't read about them. If you don't want to watch, don't watch - don't attention whore yourself after games in a game thread being like 'Oh, I didn't watch, I'm boycotting the NHL'.

I watched an embarrassing amount of the NBA during this; no one mentioned the NBA lockout that I can remember, and that happened last year. Fans will quickly forget.

It wouldn't have been such a big deal if the NHL hadn't cancelled the season because of labor issues less than ten years ago, and seems to go through the same song and dance all the time. To a lot of people that made the NHL a complete joke, irrespective of whose side you took in the labor dispute. Perhaps not to the diehard fans, but to at least the fans that have a little bit more than a casual interest in the sport.

The shortened season can't be written off as "no big deal."
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users