26 replies to this topic

#21 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Does direct tv have a triple play? If so how much does it cost?

They do through 3rd party providers (you can order everything through them, though). I have TV through them, internet through Cablevision (for now), and phone through Vonage. In total, I am paying just a tiny bit less than Cablevision's / FIOS's triple-plays, and enjoying a much better TV experience.

#22 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

They do through 3rd party providers (you can order everything through them, though). I have TV through them, internet through Cablevision (for now), and phone through Vonage. In total, I am paying just a tiny bit less than Cablevision's / FIOS's triple-plays, and enjoying a much better TV experience.

You can also do it the other way around. I have DirecTV as part of my Verizon bill.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#23 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

When I first moved to NJ, I had Comcast (otherwise known as the worst utility company in existence), and as soon as humanly possible I switched to DirecTV. Loved the service itself as well as the customer service. We switched to Verizon FiOS when DTV and Versus had their squabble a few years ago, and FiOS is by far the best service I have ever had.

I did not have HD with DirecTV, but I have seen their HD picture in other peoples' homes and I feel like our FiOS picture is noticeably better. It's not a huge difference, but as I say, noticeable. (Could just be the quality of the different TVs, of course.)

Verizon's DVR is horrendous in comparison to my TiVo; clunky, counter-intuitive, slow, and not very smart. I'm not sure how it compares to other non-TiVo DVRs, so obviously YMMV.

Customer service with Verizon is, as stated by others, a trying experience to say the least. However, the truth is I almost never have to call them. There was a billing issue on our very first statement, and after that, no problems at all. The actual service itself has been pretty much perfect.

If I had to give up FiOS for some reason, I would be happy to go back to DirecTV, but I definitely would not choose to give up FiOS for any other service.

Edited by Brick Pig, 12 September 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#24 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Brick Pig - Did you get one of the new 500GB DVR set-top boxes? They just came out and it's been a night and day difference for me.. Plus, 500GB is enormous

I'll also add that FiOS has some cool apps including a DVR app so you can schedule recordings anywhere from your phone.. I'm not sure how many other companies have that but it's a cool feature
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#25 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

My setup is just DirecTV (only service in my side of town that gets MSG and all its channels) with HD. Since I have the lowest plan I cannot see the games that are on NBCSN, but I do get to see about the 70 or so games that are on MSG. Not bad for $78 a month.

#26 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Colin: No, my DVR was something like 70 or 80 GB, if I remember correctly. But storage capacity was never the problem for me.

The DVR I had was VERY slow to respond -- so much so that I would think it didn't register the command, so I would enter the command again, or maybe even three or four more times, and then suddenly ALL of the commands would register at one time, at which point I would be deep in a menu I didn't want. Also, setting up repeat recordings was tremendously tedious compared to my TiVos. And in terms of hockey, I could set it up to record an individual Devils game, or I could set it up to record all NHL games, but there was no way to set it up to record all Devils games, but ignore other NHL games. Worst of all, it was not smart enough to resolve recording conflicts on it's own. For example, if the TiVo sees that I have too many programs scheduled in one timeslot, it will (without any prompting from me) look for other airings of those programs and reschedule my recordings accordingly. The FiOS DVR just popped up an error message saying there was a conflict and left it up to me to figure out what to do about it. And finally, it simply was not reliable. It would simply not record something, for no apparent reason, on a fairly regular basis.

These were all problems that were widely discussed online by other users at that time. Newer boxes may be performing better, I don't know. I just know that I will never trade my TiVos for a Verizon DVR again. (I only did it at the time because I got the Verizon DVR free for 6 months - but I only kept it for 4 because I couldn't take it any more.)

BTW, the TiVo is programmable via any internet connection, be it a computer, iPad, or smartphone.

(Just to be clear, I'm not trying to sell TiVos. I'm just giving my opinion on the various aspects of the Verizon FiOS service.)

Edited by Brick Pig, 12 September 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#27 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

For what it's worth, I've went from Cablevision to FIOS to DirecTV, and DirecTV is by far my favorite of the three, plus you get pretty much all the games in HD (including the overflow). If you're so inclined, I would give them consideration as well as FIOS.

Why is DirecTV your favorite?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users