54 replies to this topic

#41 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:06 PM

I see it but still don't agree with it so we could argue about this forever.

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE, 28 July 2004 - 09:06 PM.

#42 Max

Max

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:11 PM

And people do not understand that. People that did not see him play all the time say well he only did this or he only did that. No this man did everything for the Rats. Like RowdyFan42 said he was our version of Ken Daneyko. He did not score alot but he knew how to play the game.

#43 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:11 PM

With all due respect, IceOnFire, you have no idea what you're talking about.  By your own admission, you follow the Phantoms more than the River Rats.  Thus, you're only going by what hockeydb.com says with no reference to history.  Here's what you need to know about Geordie Kinnear:

And I don't just follow the Phantoms I follow the rats just as closely. I go to all the Rats games in Philly, Bridgeport, and Wilkes-Barre and I have been doing that for years. Which adds up to at least 20 games. I never by my own admission said I follow the phantoms more than the rats. I said

Everyone tells me I should root for the Rats. But they way I see it 1hr to Philly is a lot closer than 3hrs to Albany.

I don't root for the Rats, I root for the Phantoms but I follow them just as closely. Theres a difference.

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE, 28 July 2004 - 09:13 PM.

#44 Max

Max

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

I see it but still don't agree with it so we could argue about this forever.

But we saw him play all the time so we know we are right. I mean do not get me wrong I am not trying to disrespeact you or fight with you but he does deserve it.

#45 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:16 PM

Well then if everyone wants his number retired then they might as well retire his number when they still can

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE, 28 July 2004 - 09:17 PM.

#46 Max

Max

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:18 PM

We can't because Lou say we can't. Lou won't allow it.

#47 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:24 PM

Well how come a few years ago the Rats wanted to retire the #4 in honor of Gordie Kinner and he told us no he will not allow # to be retired?

And no disrespect but you couldnt even spell his name right

#48 Max

Max

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:26 PM

Hey I never claimed to be the best speller in the world lol.

#49 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:53 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I cant believe we were arguing about this because......

10) March 16TH, 2002 ALWAYS ON OUR MIND: The team honors Assistant Coach and the longest tenured captain in team history, Geordie Kinnear, with a banner raised to the Pepsi Arena rafters emblazoned with an image of his Number Four jersey.

So what if MIke Matteucci wears number 4 its up in the rafters thats good enough.

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE, 28 July 2004 - 10:04 PM.

#50 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:14 PM

The number was not retired. It was "honored", much like the Maple Leafs do with their numbers. (Apparently one must die tragically to get one's number retired in Toronto.) And it took a while to get to this point. At first Lou wouldn't hear of any ceremony to honor Kinnear; it's all part of Lou's "the team is more important than any one player" stance. It took quite a lot of convincing to allow Lou to give the go-ahead for Geordie Kinnear Night, and even then he wouldn't let the Rats retire #4.

This goes back to the long-running dispute on these boards about what the Devils should do when Stevens and Brodeur retire. Some are for retiring some numbers, others are completely against the concept.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#51 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:15 PM

The number was not retired.  It was "honored", much like the Maple Leafs do with their numbers.  (Apparently one must die tragically to get one's number retired in Toronto.)  And it took a while to get to this point.  At first Lou wouldn't hear of any ceremony to honor Kinnear; it's all part of Lou's "the team is more important than any one player" stance.  It took quite a lot of convincing to allow Lou to give the go-ahead for Geordie Kinnear Night, and even then he wouldn't let the Rats retire #4.

This goes back to the long-running dispute on these boards about what the Devils should do when Stevens and Brodeur retire.  Some are for retiring some numbers, others are completely against the concept.

I like the way the Leafs do it. His number is up in the rafters, so who cares if someone still wears it.

Edited by NJDEVILICEONFIRE, 28 July 2004 - 10:16 PM.

#52 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:25 PM

I like the way the Leafs do it. His number is up in the rafters, so who cares if someone still wears it.

Okay, fine. Let's rip that stupid #25 off of Hale's back and give him a real defenseman's number... like 3. And I'm sure you'll have no objection to giving #4 to Matteucci when Stevens retires. Oh, and while we're at it, when Marty finally calls it quits, let's immediately reissue #30 to Ahonen. :rolleyes:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#53 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:36 PM

Okay, fine. Let's rip that stupid #25 off of Hale's back and give him a real defenseman's number... like 3. And I'm sure you'll have no objection to giving #4 to Matteucci when Stevens retires. Oh, and while we're at it, when Marty finally calls it quits, let's immediately reissue #30 to Ahonen. :rolleyes:

I like the way Leafs do it. It doesn't bother me if someone else weres that number because it didn't take anything away from what the player who wore it before them. Im sure many people don't feel this way but I don't mind.

#54 CHICO IS GOD

CHICO IS GOD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:38 PM

Numbers should be retired but it should be a selective process. And this is little off-topic but what does a team do if they run out of numbers? (would be a while before something like that would happen, but some of the older and more prestigous franchises may encounter a problem like this in the future) There's been players that have asked permission from the player and team to use a retired number but it would be a bit of a problem for teams to just "un-retire" numbers.
Never underestimate the scoring force of the almighty one named Scott Stevens, who is destined to become the greatest Power on Earth.

Posted ImagePosted Image

NJ Devs Keeper of Glenn Chico Resch and CAA Sections with Row 2 as the first row.

#55 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,593 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:06 PM

They would probably do something like the Leafs do and just honor the number which allows a player to wear it.
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users