54 replies to this topic

#1 koufax75

koufax75

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:13 AM

I would like to know which numbers have been retired by the New Jersey Devils..

Then, which numbers will be retired in the future?

I think:

- 4 Stevens

- 30 Brodeur

Maybe, 27 Niedermayer (if he stays with the Devils).
Posted Image
NJDEVS.com Keeper of Viacheslav Slava Fetisov
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:43 AM

Retired: 99

To be retired: 3, 4, 30.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#3 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:13 AM

As long as Lou is GM, perhaps longer as it was policy before Lou came on board, #13. Since it was never issued, as of right now I guess it could be considered retired.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#4 4belle

4belle

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:19 AM

I think:

- 4 Stevens

- 30 Brodeur

Definitely the following:

Stevens: 4

Brodeur: 30

Dano: 3

I am not sure about Neids...If he doesn't leave then maybe :unsure:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy sh!t . . . what a ride!"

Talk is cheap.You can talk all you want, but you still have to go do it on the ice." SS

Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#5 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:21 AM

I don't think #3 gets retired. I think Lou is a guy that only retires numbers in extreme cases so right now I think the only person I am looking at maybe getting their number retired is #30 and he has to still play for the Devils for a while longer.

-Scott
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#6 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:23 AM

I might not rememebr this correctly, but i thought LL all but promised the dano's numebr would be reitred during and interview w/ fatso & Fruitloops....
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#7 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,505 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:25 AM

I might not rememebr this correctly, but i thought LL all but promised the dano's numebr would be reitred during and interview w/ fatso & Fruitloops....

Maybe, I don't really listen to those two. Could Lou have been talking about having a night to honor Dano where lots of people thought his number was also going to be retired that night?

-Scott
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#8 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 12:09 PM

w/ fatso & Fruitloops....

HA ! :P
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#9 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:57 PM

Retired: 99

I think we should have filed for an exemption for retiring his number.

#10 Rufener

Rufener

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 01:24 PM

LL once said that the first Devil number to be retired will be Johnny Mac's... this was years ago, obviously. I'll try and find the article. Anyway, I firmly believe that in the next few years NO NUMBERS will be retired unless something tragic happens.

Everyone is posting about retiring #30... I mean geeeeze... at least act like the guy is still playing (for a lot more years I hope)! HAHA.

#11 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:24 PM

I think:

- 4 Stevens

- 30 Brodeur

Don't forget Sergei Brylin #18

#12 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:41 PM

if lou was gonna retire #3 (in my opinion the most deserving out of any devil past or present) he should have done it on "dano" night or whatever. but as long as no one else wears #3 for the devils im pretty happy. it would be nice honor him by hanging his jersey from the rafters though.

#13 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,146 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

#15 goes to the rafters before #3.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#14 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

if lou was gonna retire #3 (in my opinion the most deserving out of any devil past or present) he should have done it on "dano" night or whatever. but as long as no one else wears #3 for the devils im pretty happy. it would be nice honor him by hanging his jersey from the rafters though.

Nah, he's going to have the Dano Retired Number Night. Business wise, it makes absolutely perfect sense. 2 sellouts.
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#15 NJD Jester

NJD Jester

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 03:57 PM

Daneyko's number is going to hang in the rafters. Lou promised it, and the fans want it. It'll happen.

Marty's number goes up too, so long as his eventual parting of ways with the franchise is a bit more friendly than Johnny Mac's.

Stevens will also have his number up there, no questions asked.

Nieds winning the Norris elevates him into a different kind of player. I think that helps him in the retired-number quest. If it were up to me, I'd do it.

I'd retire Nos. 3, 30, 4, 27 and maybe 15 if enough time has passed. Oh, and 32, because after Lakovic, Steve Thom-ass and Jon Morris, no good can come from it.

<JESTER>
Posted Image

"Glow Pucks & 10-Cent Beer: The 101 Worst Ideas in Sports History" is available now online and at local bookstores.

Get your NJD fan stories published in Hell & Back: A People's History Of The New Jersey Devils. Visit The Hell & Back Homepage for details!

#16 djstubbs

djstubbs

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:20 PM

Daneyko should be first on the rafters, then Stevens, then Brodeur, then Brylin.

(and nieds, and elias!)

As far as I know, no numbers have been retired by the NJD.

Edited by djstubbs, 28 June 2004 - 10:20 PM.

#17 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:36 AM

Maybe, I don't really listen to those two. Could Lou have been talking about having a night to honor Dano where lots of people thought his number was also going to be retired that night?

-Scott

No the interview was after Dano's night....

they asked the question will it ever get retired and I thought he said something like that is something we are planning for the future..... again this was back a ways and I dodn't remember exactly...
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#18 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:37 AM

Daneyko should be first on the rafters, then Stevens, then Brodeur, then Brylin.

(and nieds, and elias!)

As far as I know, no numbers have been retired by the NJD.

Brylin??? I know he's been on all 3 cup teams but retiring his number is a bit much...
Posted Image

2006 JHL CHAMPION!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#19 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:29 AM

I know some folks disgree, but I dont think #15 should be raised. He asked out of NJ because of his diminishing role. Asking to be traded anywhere to get out of NJ
doesnt get your# retired. Not to diminish what he did early on in his career.
vince

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#20 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

That was covered here:
http://www.njdevs.co...topic=13069&hl=

Lou and the coaching staff stabbed Mr. Devil in the back.

I have heard a LOT of people over the years saying that if he was a REAL Devil he would have accepted a diminished role with the Devils rather than ask to go to another team.

I KNOW I would never do that. I know most of you wouldn't do that. If you knew you were good at your job and could continue to do that job but your employer came to you and said, well, we really need someone to scrub the toilets, I know I'd be out there. I wouldn't accept the demotion out of loyalty. Do I love the place where I work? Yes. Do I like my co-workers? Yes. Would I take being demoted or them giving me a reduced role? No F'n way.

It's really quite a paradox. We Devils fans love players that play with heart. Guys that want to give it their all. Guys that want to contribute. Guys that want to play hockey for the sake of playing hockey. Here is a case where the Devils believed they didn't need John very much, drastically cut his playing time and didn't put him out on the PP. And John wasn't happy about it. This wasn't unproven Mike Danton crying about ice time - this is the man who STILL holds the Devils record for points. If the Devils couldn't give him the ice time, then he asked to be traded to somewhere where he WOULD get the ice time. He wanted to give more. He wanted to contribute. He WANTED TO PLAY HOCKEY. And we spit on him for it?

Apparently we like guys who drink the Kool-aid more than we like the guys with heart.

I think both Lemaire and Lou screwed up. John had 29 goals the year before. Okay, maybe that's not the 40 goals he used to get, but TWENTY-NINE goals is nothing to sneeze at. Certainly deserving of power-play time. We give John more playing time, I don't think we go out in the first round that year. Just for your information, John finished second on the Sharks in points, ahead of Owen Nolan and Patrick Marleau.

I, as John, have forgiven Lemaire and Lou for this mistake. I'm still mad at Lou for the Gilmour trade, but that's been debated already. But it seems that everyone has made up on this issue except Devils fans that still hold a grudge because John stood up for himself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users