35 replies to this topic

#21 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

And I'm sure you'd be saying this if he had re-signed with the Devils, that he's some choker.

It's OK if you now hate the guy because he spurned the Devils for another team, but he's not some unclutch scrub. He scored some big goals while he was here. And the Devils put up 102 points (tied for 4th in the Eastern Conference)...how many more points should they have put up? They didn't even really hit their stride until December...they went 36-16-5 from December 6 on, after starting 12-12-1 and looking like a team that was clearly adjusting to a new coach.

That being said, I'm glad the Devils didn't bring back Parise at that price...he's simply not worth that kind of money. I think the Devils already got his best, and at a great price tag to boot.

I do agree that it seemed like this became Kovy's team last season, even with Parise wearing the C.

I was saying this even when he was on the team, he's not clutch at all. This is definitely Kovy's team and we're going to be fine without him.
25smul5.png

#22 Troy from NJ

Troy from NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Watching all of the Devils playoff re-runs on the NHL Network, specfically to watch Zach and the impending impact of his departure. I see the loss hitting us hardest in 2 places (thinking playoffs): the penalty kill where he was simply an absolute nightmare to play against as he always was looking to take away the puck and changed how teams attacked us, and his play away from the puck where he always seemed to draw bodies with him along the boards, leaving someone one on one or alone (ala Henrique, or Kovy for a blast). Not easy to replace, but wondering if all these years of being such a blinded Devils fan (I admit it) I put too much stock in his value. There isn't a harder working player in hockey and everybody in the world would want him on their team, but when you watch the early playoff games, the talent differential between him and a Kovalchuck is so blatantly obvious. And if we had the Kovy who played against Florida, we beat the Kings. I'm convinced. He was simply uncoverable before that dreaded back injury. But against LAK, Zach was simply crushed by bigger, stronger D men. He NEEDED Kovy at his best to "be" Zach. I don't think Kovy needs anyone to be "Kovy".

So while I'm bummed to lose one of my favorite Devils of all time, as a hockey fan looking at the Devils through the non tainted eyes of a Devils fan, I see a very good player who IS replaceable, and perhaps with current talent. It's not the gaping hole I felt we had in early July, and there's no reason to think we can't contend once again.
"What's the difference between a catfish and Rangers Fan?
One is a low life bottom feeder that lives on the feces of others. The other is a fish"

Official Keeper of THE BUD LIGHT GOAL BAR
Posted Image

#23 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

Henrique scored bigger goals in one playoff season than Zach had did in the prior six or so. Game over.

#24 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

Henrique scored bigger goals in one playoff season than Zach had did in the prior six or so. Game over.

Ryan Carter as well.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#25 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:34 AM

This forum is so fickle. Not long ago everyone on here was criticizing the Kovalchuk deal because of the fear that it might make Parise feel like this wasn't his team anymore or because his contract might keep us from re-signing Zach. Then Kovalchuk had that flubbed shootout attempt and had a bunch of bad turnovers and just about everyone was on his case about it, calling him overrated, overpaid, a waste of money, etc. Now Zach leaves and everyone is worshiping Kovalchuk and bashing Parise, the exact opposite.

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around when Gomez and Rafalski left. All season long everyone was hating on Gomez so bad that his cousin (at least I think it was his cousin, maybe it was some other relative) who posted on here just completely stopped because he couldn't deal with how disrespectful people were. People were bashing Rafalski, albeit to a lesser extent, because he wasn't able to replace Niedermayer and didn't have a good shot from the point. Then July 1st came around and Rafalski went to Detroit and Gomez signed a ridiculous contract with the Rangers and it was like we were minutes away from apocalypse on here.

Edited by devilsfan26, 10 October 2012 - 01:35 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#26 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

This forum is so fickle. Not long ago everyone on here was criticizing the Kovalchuk deal because of the fear that it might make Parise feel like this wasn't his team anymore or because his contract might keep us from re-signing Zach. Then Kovalchuk had that flubbed shootout attempt and had a bunch of bad turnovers and just about everyone was on his case about it, calling him overrated, overpaid, a waste of money, etc. Now Zach leaves and everyone is worshiping Kovalchuk and bashing Parise, the exact opposite.

People have been bashing Parise for years, this is not new just more people are jumping on the bandwagon I guess. The Kovalchuk situation was completely different because the entire team sucked due to Johnny Mac. Kovy just took the brunt of it after that shootout but he never complained once and that's what I like about him. He always says something positive never negative, god forbid Parise is ever booed like that...

People love Kovalchuk because he has loads of talent (yeah not the work ethic of Parise) but his talents will remain with him throughout his career. Was it a coincidence that the Devils have the second best record behind Vancouver in the last 1 1/2 seasons (Parise missing 41 of those games) and making the Stanley Cup in his second year? Absolutely not and that's why mostly everybody loves him now. Everything has changed since his signing so you really cant judge people for changing their mind.

Edited by Zubie#8, 10 October 2012 - 01:52 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#27 Crisis

Crisis

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

CSKA v SKA highlights from the other day.

Count 'em. Not 1, not 2, but 3 "Parise-like" goals for Kovi.

I think we'll be alright.

"People said his brain was infected by Devils."
Posted Image

#28 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

People have been bashing Parise for years, this is not new just more people are jumping on the bandwagon I guess. The Kovalchuk situation was completely different because the entire team sucked due to Johnny Mac. Kovy just took the brunt of it after that shootout but he never complained once and that's what I like about him. He always says something positive never negative, god forbid Parise is ever booed like that...

People love Kovalchuk because he has loads of talent (yeah not the work ethic of Parise) but his talents will remain with him throughout his career. Was it a coincidence that the Devils have the second best record behind Vancouver in the last 1 1/2 seasons (Parise missing 41 of those games) and making the Stanley Cup in his second year? Absolutely not and that's why mostly everybody loves him now. Everything has changed since his signing so you really cant judge people for changing their mind.

Who's "been bashing Parise for years"? I don't remember a whole lot of that...I remember damned near universal love for him among Devils fans. I also remember almost everyone hoping and praying he'd re-sign and stay here.

As for Kovy, he deserves a lot of credit for being coachable and trying to work on the holes in his game...I don't know if he is nearly as much of the reason for the Devils playing well from the second half of the '10-'11 season on as much as you're making him out to be. Pretty much every possible thing that could've gone wrong in the first half of that '10-'11 did...the Devils were simply not that bad, and some kind of evening out was bound to happen...no way the Devils were going to finish 20-58-4 or something like that...they weren't the '83-'84 Devils. Last year's SC run come playoff time to me was just one of those freaky things...great fun for all of us, the team playing well at the right time, parity, some terrific coaching...the playoffs feel more like a crapshoot now more than ever...that how you get a #6 seed playing a #8 seed, with the #8 winning the whole damned thing.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#29 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Who's "been bashing Parise for years"? I don't remember a whole lot of that...I remember damned near universal love for him among Devils fans. I also remember almost everyone hoping and praying he'd re-sign and stay here.

As for Kovy, he deserves a lot of credit for being coachable and trying to work on the holes in his game...I don't know if he is nearly as much of the reason for the Devils playing well from the second half of the '10-'11 season on as much as you're making him out to be. Pretty much every possible thing that could've gone wrong in the first half of that '10-'11 did...the Devils were simply not that bad, and some kind of evening out was bound to happen...no way the Devils were going to finish 20-58-4 or something like that...they weren't the '83-'84 Devils. Last year's SC run come playoff time to me was just one of those freaky things...great fun for all of us, the team playing well at the right time, parity, some terrific coaching...the playoffs feel more like a crapshoot now more than ever...that how you get a #6 seed playing a #8 seed, with the #8 winning the whole damned thing.

The first half 10-11 Devils were horrendous. It wasn't bad luck it was out of shape players playing with no system. The defense was terrible, everybody blew their assignments every night and the offense was pitiful. You are kidding yourself if you are saying they had potential when Maclean was coaching, something bad happening every night does not make the team lose games consistently with the score 6-1 7-2 5-2 6-3 7-1. They were simply that bad.

How do you get a 6th and 8th seed in the Cup? Uhh they both went through massive changes through the year and became a cup contender late in the season.

Parise was always bashed for not coming up in huge spots throughout his Devil tenure.

Edited by Zubie#8, 10 October 2012 - 11:47 AM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

The first half 10-11 Devils were horrendous. It wasn't bad luck it was out of shape players playing with no system. The defense was terrible, everybody blew their assignments every night and the offense was pitiful.

I didn't say it was all due to bad luck. But the talent was much better than the record showed. Clearly the coaching was a major issue, and the players had a part in it too, but if you could replay that season's first half with all of same pieces in place, they probably win at least 15 games in that first half...still not very good, but 10 was absolute rock bottom for that group...it's actually pretty amazing that they put up a record that terrible...like I said, that's '83-'84 Devils bad, and that team WAS every bit as bad as their record.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Minor point, may just be a chicken or egg thing, but I think the regular season is what's less predictable, to a degree. The Kings were an excellent team that simply hadn't played well until the last third of the season. Their percentages were simply dreadful. Throw in trading their worst player for one of their best at the deadline and you've got a really powerful club. The Devils, too, were missing one of their best players for most of the season and got rid of two of their worst players for what ended up being two of their best,

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

I didn't say it was all due to bad luck. But the talent was much better than the record showed. Clearly the coaching was a major issue, and the players had a part in it too, but if you could replay that season's first half with all of same pieces in place, they probably win at least 15 games in that first half...still not very good, but 10 was absolute rock bottom for that group...it's actually pretty amazing that they put up a record that terrible...like I said, that's '83-'84 Devils bad, and that team WAS every bit as bad as their record.

Understood, but there is no way that roster was going to have success under Maclean. It was hard to watch, they were playing without an identity.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Minor point, may just be a chicken or egg thing, but I think the regular season is what's less predictable, to a degree. The Kings were an excellent team that simply hadn't played well until the last third of the season. Their percentages were simply dreadful. Throw in trading their worst player for one of their best at the deadline and you've got a really powerful club. The Devils, too, were missing one of their best players for most of the season and got rid of two of their worst players for what ended up being two of their best,

We've definitely seen that regular seasons are not always great indicators, and that a good team can scuffle through a good 2/3rds of the season before pulling it all together, or making a couple of key personnel moves, etc. Were the Kings really a #8 seed in spirit? No, probably not. But we see lower seeds getting deep into playoffs quite a bit in the NHL...which pretty much shows that the regular season results don't mean a whole lot...just get into the playoffs and anything can happen.

#30 FOREVER!

#34 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

As for Kovy, he deserves a lot of credit for being coachable and trying to work on the holes in his game...I don't know if he is nearly as much of the reason for the Devils playing well from the second half of the '10-'11 season on as much as you're making him out to be.

really? Kovy was on fire that second half. He wasnt the only reason we had that run, but he was probably the most important piece of it. Rolston was another piece that really helped us out. But without kovy that run doesnt even happen. He wasnt scoring 2-3 points a night, but he was scoring huge goals throughout that run. Just off the top of my head i can remember 3 OT winner that were huge, a gwg against the rags, and big goals against the sharks and canes.
EDIT: sorry if this message came across as me like flipping out or something. Haha im just bored at work and needed to talk about hockey.

Edited by njd3b1ink, 10 October 2012 - 12:24 PM.

#35 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around when Gomez and Rafalski left. All season long everyone was hating on Gomez so bad that his cousin (at least I think it was his cousin, maybe it was some other relative) who posted on here just completely stopped because he couldn't deal with how disrespectful people were. People were bashing Rafalski, albeit to a lesser extent, because he wasn't able to replace Niedermayer and didn't have a good shot from the point. Then July 1st came around and Rafalski went to Detroit and Gomez signed a ridiculous contract with the Rangers and it was like we were minutes away from apocalypse on here.

Why do you use the Kane Brewing Co. as your advatar? Just curious I live in Ocean Township.

#36 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

Why do you use the Kane Brewing Co. as your advatar? Just curious I live in Ocean Township.

I just figured I had my old one up for a long time and it was time for a change, and Kane makes awesome beers. I was at a Kane tap takeover a few weeks ago so I guess that's why they were the first thing that popped into my mind when I decided it was time to change it up haha.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users