Isles to Officially Move to Brooklyn

njdevil26

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised because, while I've always thought this is probably the most logical way out of this whole Nassau situation (despite the arena appearently not being 100% suitable for hockey), I haven't really heard any reports about the Isles in quite some time and the media are usually all over a planned relocation weeks before it's announced.

But good for them, I guess. With all the venues in the area it really didn't make sense to build yet another one just for them (if they were some heroes of the state, winning championship after championship and selling out every night, with fans all over NY, maybe it would make more sense, but they're not quite there).

I hear your point but 14,500 seats? Thats ridiculous. Why stop there. Why not build an 8,500 seat barn and charge an arm and a leg per seat

14500 isn't all that bad. It's not that far off what Nassau Col. holds and the Isles don't draw much anyway.

If anything, it could take away from the Rangers fan base. I know a few Knicks fans who are changing their allegiance to the Nets because they hate the Dolans and grew up in Brooklyn. Ranger fans though are, if anything else, loyal, so probably won't be that much, although we can dream.

14500 isn't all that bad. It's not that far off what Nassau Col. holds and the Isles don't draw much anyway.

If anything, it could take away from the Rangers fan base. I know a few Knicks fans who are changing their allegiance to the Nets because they hate the Dolans and grew up in Brooklyn. Ranger fans though are, if anything else, loyal, so probably won't be that much, although we can dream.

I don't know about that. I know at least one huge Ranger fan (STH) who lives in Brooklyn and said he would switch if the Isles moved to Barclays. We'll see if he goes through with it.

I'll believe it when I see them actually play a regular season there. Until then, this just strikes me as having "Another Crazy Charles Wang Ploy" written all over it.

That's what everyone said about the arena in Brooklyn, that it would never get done. They announced a 25-year lease, it's pretty much impossible to go back now.

It's a 25 year lease. What exactly would be ployish about this? The Islanders have failed to get any momentum going for an arena on Long Island.

When I wrote that, I hadn't heard the word "lease" used yet.

I'm anxious to see how Barclays Center plans on retrofitting their 94-foot hole to fit a 200-foot peg. The seating map they put out for the preseason game makes it look like their engineers have their work cut out for them.

BarclaysCenter_SeatingChart_IslandersvsDevils_v4.jpg

I'm anxious to see how Barclays Center plans on retrofitting their 94-foot hole to fit a 200-foot peg. The seating map they put out for the preseason game makes it look like their engineers have their work cut out for them.

Yeah I'm really curious how much fans will enjoy seeing a game with the unique seating. If I were the Islanders I really would have waited until these exhibition games and did some market research on how fans felt about the experience before committing to 25 years. I am skeptical, it might not have the electricity of other NHL games due to the ice not being surrounded by fans.

I really hope this works out for the Isles. I've never had any hatred or animosity towards them since they feel like a cousin to the Devils based upon the common hatred of the Rangers. However, that is the strangest setup of a hockey rink I've ever seen. They are already talking about retrofitting the arena to make it more suitable for hockey. The place opened a month ago and it already needs renovations. Why they didn't build it for use in both basketball and hockey setups is beyond me.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

I really hope this works out for the Isles. I've never had any hatred or animosity towards them since they feel like a cousin to the Devils based upon the common hatred of the Rangers. However, that is the strangest setup of a hockey rink I've ever seen. They are already talking about retrofitting the arena to make it more suitable for hockey. The place opened a month ago and it already needs renovations. Why they didn't build it for use in both basketball and hockey setups is beyond me.

Because when it was designed, the economy was still strong and they assumed that the Lighthouse project or something else would happen to keep the Islanders on Long Island, in which case designing this arena for hockey would've been a giant waste of money.

That looks absolutely absurd. The seating angles of the entire left side are poor and will be hard to sell.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

From a Rangers fan in my chat at http://ESPN.com, ``Now the Rangers have 3 home arenas. What a great day.''

Need I remind them of May 25, 2012? Seems like nothing will ever change those rags fans.

What an amazing home game they had that evening. And I have no problem bringing that up constantly after the 17 years of Matteau abuse we all took.

Well they use crap like that because they can't claim to be the better franchise over the past 20 years..

Would you rather boast that you partially fill another team's building, or that you've seen more Cup wins in your lifetime?

And remember, 95% of that fan base will never be able to afford a playoff ticket at MSG.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

From a Rangers fan in my chat at http://ESPN.com, ``Now the Rangers have 3 home arenas. What a great day.''

Need I remind them of May 25, 2012? Seems like nothing will ever change those rags fans.

Good to see Ranger fans are still as dumb as they ever were.

On topic...good for the Islanders and their fans. They've had to endure a lot of nonsense over the past 20 years or so. Being in a substandard building won't be one of their issues come 2015...maybe the sightlines won't be the best, but at least the rest of the building will be state of the art.

If only MSG would collapse and take out 20,000 Ranger fans and the team with it...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Good to see Ranger fans are still as dumb as they ever were.

On topic...good for the Islanders and their fans. They've had to endure a lot of nonsense over the past 20 years or so. Being in a substandard building won't be one of their issues come 2015...maybe the sightlines won't be the best, but at least the rest of the building will be state of the art.

If only MSG would collapse and take out 20,000 Ranger fans and the team with it...

I still think the Devils should look into getting permission to use that clip at the end of the movie "Godzilla" with Matthew Broderick where they drop a few bombs on MSG.

I still think the Devils should look into getting permission to use that clip at the end of the movie "Godzilla" with Matthew Broderick where they drop a few bombs on MSG.

Didn't the Devils used to play a clip of NJ Devil going to MSG and then blowing it up with dynamite when they played the Rags?

Because when it was designed, the economy was still strong and they assumed that the Lighthouse project or something else would happen to keep the Islanders on Long Island, in which case designing this arena for hockey would've been a giant waste of money.

http://enr.construction.com/buildings/building_types/2012/0716-reshaping-of-barclays-center-arena-made-possible-by-collaboration-digital-tools.asp

If I remember correctly (and the information in the linked article is correct), the building was redesigned in 2008-2009 from the Frank Gehry plans (which were absolutely beautiful) to the current design (which is plain ugly IMO). The Gehry design was for a multipurpose arena for both basketball and hockey, but it changed when he was fired and they brought in a new architect and bascially redesigned the entire building.

The economy was in the sh!tter when Ratner decided to change architects and designs for the arena and was a major reason for this change as the proposed cost for the Gehry design was astronomical. They took the hockey component out to save money on the arena construction.

I still don't think this arena works for hockey based upon the set-up floor plan for the pre-season game. The Isles should have waited to play there for a game or 2 before making this decision, which binds them to another long term lease as a tenant in a building they don't own. There really wasn't any need to rush and make this decision now as they can't move from the Colisseum for the next 3 seasons (provided there is an NHL in 3 years). I know their fans are happy because they aren't moving from the region, but I think this could be another long-term disaster for that franchise.

That's why they are $14.50 and I doubt you have to stand in line for those tickets like the $15 (used to be $10) tickets at the Rock.

Why would anyone pay $14.50 to be able to see only 1 of the 2 goals? I just don't get that at all, unless the arena has plenty of places for fans with those tickets to stand and watch the game without any obstructions. It's the same thing with the new Yankee Stadium. Why would anyone pay to sit in the section of the bleachers nearest the Sports Bar when it means you can't see the opposite field? Makes absolutely no sense to me.

If you've not seen Barclay's yet, its a really impressive building, in and out. I love this move for the Islanders from a Devils fan perspective, it makes it that much easier to see the team on the road. Its two short train rides for me to get to rather than a drive out to the pit of Nassau.

That seating chart is funny as hell, but it wont be like that once the Isles are an actual tenant. The NHL wouldnt approve the move otherwise. Hence, 2015 start.