• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

So the hype just hit overdrive when the last weather model has decided that yes the North east will get hit. After Irene last year I am going to better prepare for this one. We lost power and the ability to move on my street for a day and a half.

Filling waterjugs and checking batteries this time.

#2 Steven M.

Steven M.

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

It's slated to hit the Jersey shore the day after I get home on leave. Lived in Key West for the past two years and never experienced tropical cyclones, go home to Jersey and get hit. Weird. Hope it just blows by and doesn't affect my Monday flight.

100601larry-david2.jpg

#3 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

http://www.swellinfo...new-jersey.html

lol serious stuff coming our way

#4 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#5 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

I just hope I don't lose power for at least a week like the 2 storms last year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#6 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

According to the President of JCP&L, their customers might lose power for 7-10 days due to the storm.

I am a PSE&G customer but if i was a customer of JCP&L I would be livid at this.

http://www.nj.com/ne..._customers.html

#7 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

According to the President of JCP&L, their customers might lose power for 7-10 days due to the storm.

I am a PSE&G customer but if i was a customer of JCP&L I would be livid at this.

http://www.nj.com/ne..._customers.html

What do you expect, though? If the worst predictions bear out, the storm's gonna start the outlier rain/wind on Sunday and be in place until Thursday/Friday. If they can restore power 1-5 days after the storm ceases, that's not a horrid performance.

I am a PSE&G customer and was lucky last time with my power (no power for 13-ish hours), but I'm going to be ready to be without for days, all the way down to the fully-charged portable devices and some books on top of that, plus days worth of food and water.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#8 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

What do you expect, though? If the worst predictions bear out, the storm's gonna start the outlier rain/wind on Sunday and be in place until Thursday/Friday. If they can restore power 1-5 days after the storm ceases, that's not a horrid performance.

I am a PSE&G customer and was lucky last time with my power (no power for 13-ish hours), but I'm going to be ready to be without for days, all the way down to the fully-charged portable devices and some books on top of that, plus days worth of food and water.

The fact that PSE&G had more customers without power last year yet had at least 90% of them restored within 3-5 days while it took JCP&L 10-14 days is really telling.

No matter what power is going to be knocked out for places and the wait to get it restored even with the best response will be measured in days. However with JCP&L putting this out there is a bad signal as it looks like they want to absolve themselves of any blame if things go awry. I wonder what PSE&G will tell their customers the wait time might be, if they even issue a warning.

#9 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'm just waiting for the news release that says this hurricane isn't gonna be as bad as we think... again

don't these hurricanes always get downgraded and disappoint?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#10 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm just waiting for the news release that says this hurricane isn't gonna be as bad as we think... again

don't these hurricanes always get downgraded and disappoint?

Last years was a pretty close call... hopefully we are that lucky again. Hopefully hoboken doesn't sink, last year even a day later a lot of the town was under water.
Posted Image

#11 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

At first I was happy that Monmouth cancelled classes Monday and Tuesday, but as a JCP&L customer, I was already expecting to be without power for a lengthy time given their horrendous performance last year compared to the other energy companies before they made their announcement today.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#12 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,863 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

At first I was happy that Monmouth cancelled classes Monday and Tuesday, but as a JCP&L customer, I was already expecting to be without power for a lengthy time given their horrendous performance last year compared to the other energy companies before they made their announcement today.

Yeah, I still have to submit a few things through ecampus. Going to be a nightmare not even being able to connect.

Might even stay in tonight to get some things done. Torture.

#13 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, I still have to submit a few things through ecampus. Going to be a nightmare not even being able to connect.

Might even stay in tonight to get some things done. Torture.

That sucks man, ecampus = :argh: at times.

#14 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,736 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Don't really care if we lose power, it's not like there will be any Devils games to watch on tv anyway :doh1:

#15 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

One of the only things I hate most about storms is losing power. I typically love them otherwise. Even scary big ones. I worry about loss of life/property, but hunkered down inside, being able to play the stereo and have lights during a banger of storm is good with me. Without......fvck that.

#16 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 8,976 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

We lost power from a freak thunderstorm in the middle of this summer for a day and a half, that sucked. At least the temps are livable outside this time.

I was going to go to the store and get some regular shopping done but I am told this place is bonkers.

#17 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Its been pretty dark and ominous over north nj all day. calm before the storm.

#18 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

bad news

3:00 p.m. EDT: Computer model that was showing a farther south track into the Delmarva is now bringing Sandy into central New Jersey, lining up with the AccuWeather.com Hurricane Center's track.

#19 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I brought all my patio furniture inside today, filled the propane tank for my gas grill, bought some bottled water, etc.

What I really want to do for the future is get a portable generator and hook it up to my fridge, house lights and maybe TV, but right now I don't have the money for that.

#20 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,247 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:58 AM

apparently the home depot in toms river has generators for 699

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users