nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Sorry guys but this Sterling call on the triple play is hilarious:

"And they throw to 3rd, why, I don't know..."

Edited by nmigliore, 13 April 2013 - 09:23 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#42 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Sterling and Waldman are the worst announcers in pro sports history. I refuse to listen to any Yankees game on the radio unless I have the option of getting the other teams announcers.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#43 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

he was clueless haha

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#44 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Sterling and Waldman are the worst announcers in pro sports history. I refuse to listen to any Yankees game on the radio unless I have the option of getting the other teams announcers.

Waldman is meh. Sterling is just plain awful. Most play by play people I can live with, so long as they tell the story.

Sterling though is like scratching the blackboard. The canned homerun calls make me dread when the Yankees actually hit one. It's just ingenuine, which is a type of microcosm of what the Yankees have become in the past couple of years.

Kay isn't much better. Does he still tell the Greek God of walks story every time Yukolis scratches his jock strap or call every coincidence "ironic"?

Edited by Daniel, 15 April 2013 - 08:35 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't like Kay but I can live with him....it could certainly be worse. I love when Ken Singleton fills in on the PBP when Kay is gone, he's got the perfect voice for it. Overall I like all of the color guys but David Cone is my favorite since he's always bringing up fangraphs when he cites SABR stuff. Paul O'Neill was my first favorite player so I love having him on the telecast. I find Lou Piniella enjoyable since he's got that old school/old time personality that reminds me of shooting the sh!t with my grandfather in the garage.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

I have to say I am really impressed with the way this team has found a way to win so far this year. Through all the injuries they've managed to go 9-6 in their series so far and are in 1st in the division. I know it's early and a small sample size but I didn't give them a shot so I'm happy with how things have unfolded thus far.

So far the scrap heap vets have really done a fantastic job: Wells (126 wRC+ w/ decent D), Overbay (98 wRC+ w/ decent D), and Hafner (148 wRC+). I wasn't thrilled about the Wells trade and barely warmed up to it even when I found it it wouldn't hurt the luxury tax next year but he's proving me wrong. I thought Overbay was done - and he might very well be by the end of the year (wherever he is playing) - but he's been excellent w/ Tex and Youkilis out. I always liked the move to get Pronk and it's great to see what he can do when he's healthy. Coming into last night these 3 guys accounted for a 2.9 WAR and all are in the top 6 for the Yankees position players.

It's been great to see what the young pitchers have been doing for the Yankees too. David Phelps has passed Nova in my opinion on the depth chart with his (42.1 IP, 9.78 K/9, 3.83 BB/9, 49.5 GB%, 3.65 FIP). Adam Warren is starting to settle into the long relief role (23.2 IP, 6.46 K/9, 2.28 BB/9, 57.1 GB%, 2.91 FIP in limited action). I didn't think much of Shawn Kelley when they acquired him but he's been pitching better as of late and has a 15.91 K/9 vs. 2.41 BB/9 in 18.2 IP. I really expected Mark Montgomery to be the 1st reliever called up from AAA but Preston Claiborne was the surprise and he's been stellar in his young career (11 IP, 6.55 K/9, 0 BB, 2.76 FIP). I know a lot of those numbers are small sample sizes but what I'm getting at is its been nice to watch a bunch of guys who weren't expected to step up, do so in this short season so far.

Of course things could go south for any of the players in this post - infact, I'm sure it will for a number of them. Hopefully by then the big guys will return and be able to compensate. I didn't think this team had a chance at the postseason before the year - now I have hope.

#47 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Anyone watching tonight's game? Injuries continue to be ridiculous. Granderson gets hit by a pitch again and breaks his left fifth metacarpal (left pinky). He's only been back about a week after recovering from a broken right forearm. A-Rod suffered this last year and missed 36 games, about 6 weeks.

Phelps is pitching another solid game (7.2 IP 6 H 4 ER 0 BB 3 K) and gets drilled in his pitching arm with a comebacker and has to leave the game. Really hope he is ok.

Somehow this team continues to find ways to win. Bottom of the order was huge tonight.

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:03 PM

Anyone watching tonight's game? Injuries continue to be ridiculous. Granderson gets hit by a pitch again and breaks his left fifth metacarpal (left pinky). He's only been back about a week after recovering from a broken right forearm. A-Rod suffered this last year and missed 36 games, about 6 weeks.

Phelps is pitching another solid game (7.2 IP 6 H 4 ER 0 BB 3 K) and gets drilled in his pitching arm with a comebacker and has to leave the game. Really hope he is ok.

Somehow this team continues to find ways to win. Bottom of the order was huge tonight.

The New York Nordbergs.

Pineda might actually make it back in a few months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#49 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:43 PM

The New York Nordbergs. Pineda might actually make it back in a few months. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fortunately the x-rays on Phelps came back negative so they'll see how he feels with his bullpen session before his next start. I hope he is healthy and can keep the roll he is on....I don't want to see Nova back into the rotation unless he earns it.

I came into this season expecting nothing from Pineda so whatever he does give them will be a bonus. It's amazing how bad that trade has worked out so far for both teams. Pineda yet to play for the Yankees due to a major injury, Campos showed a ton of promise and then got a farily significant injury last year. He's just advanced from 3 inning outings to 4 inning outings in low A as he builds up arm strength. Montero has been worth a -0.8 WAR for the Mariners and has been demoted. Noesi has been worth -0.4 WAR for the Mariners. It will be a few more years until the deal can be judged but right now the early returns are ugly all around.

#50 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,893 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Fortunately the x-rays on Phelps came back negative so they'll see how he feels with his bullpen session before his next start. I hope he is healthy and can keep the roll he is on....I don't want to see Nova back into the rotation unless he earns it.

I came into this season expecting nothing from Pineda so whatever he does give them will be a bonus. It's amazing how bad that trade has worked out so far for both teams. Pineda yet to play for the Yankees due to a major injury, Campos showed a ton of promise and then got a farily significant injury last year. He's just advanced from 3 inning outings to 4 inning outings in low A as he builds up arm strength. Montero has been worth a -0.8 WAR for the Mariners and has been demoted. Noesi has been worth -0.4 WAR for the Mariners. It will be a few more years until the deal can be judged but right now the early returns are ugly all around.

Montero was evidently a customer at that "anti aging" clinic. Maybe that explains the drop off.
Posted Image

#51 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

NoMaas had some stats before last night's game that really illustrates how much the pitching has carried the team this season and how sh!tty the offense is:

Pitching

ERA: 3.66 (4th in AL)
FIP: 3.65 (3rd in AL)
xFIP: 3.65 (2nd in AL)
WAR: 9.5 (3rd in AL)

Hitting
wRC+: 89 (4th-worst in AL)
wOBA: .306 (5th-worst in AL)
OBP: .307 (4th-worst in AL)
Runs/game: 4.0 (5th-worst in AL)

Not a surprise but really does reinforce how fortunate/lucky they've been this year. I just worry that some of that will run out.

Also to modify this post of theirs with up to date numbers:

Hal: “Brian, you cannot bring on anyone for more than 1 year, except…”

Wells: .237/.283/.399 .296 wOBA 82 wRC+ 
Ichiro: .259/.298/.332 .273 wOBA 66 wRC+

Metrics rank them both around league average defensively which I feel is true for Ichiro but I'd put Wells a little below league average. Really can't wait for Granderson to get back. Gardner is having another solid year which has been awesome: .286/.350/.452 .349 wOBA 118 wRC+, leading the team with 2.2 WAR (numbers prior to last night)

#52 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Warning, I gotta vent a bit:

Even with Swisher getting off to a slow start...

Nick Swisher: .325 wOBA, 108 wRC+. 1.1 WAR
Yankees RF: .291 wOBA, 79 wRC+, 0.1 WAR
Yankees 1B: .299 wOBA, 84 wRC+, -0.1 WAR

Russell Martin: .335 wOBA, 115 wRC+, 2.4 WAR
Yankees Catchers: .280 wOBA, 71 wRC+, 0.7 WAR

I'm just glad that Hal can keep lining his pockets while his country club of a stadium stays empty.

While the pitching has been carrying this team this year...

Yankees pitching staff 3rd in WAR (11.3), 10th in ERA (3.77), 8th in FIP (3.73), 6th in xFIP (3.74), 3rd in K/BB (3.07).

The offense has been atrocious with the exception of a few players...

Yankees only have 3 above average hitters by wRC+ (min. 150 PA): Cano (126), Gardner (116), Hafner (106).

Yankees offense now down to 26th in wOBA (.297) and 27th in wRC+ (83).

Overall only 2 position players have been any good...

Amongst Yankees position players only Gardner (2.7) and Cano (2.2) have a WAR above 1. Next closest is Ichiro (0.8).

It's one thing to suck because you're not good. It's another thing when your owner doesn't give a sh!t about the on field product.

#53 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

Yankees finally make a move to improve this weak team. Welcome back Alfonso Soriano!

NY Post

In dire need of a bat with thump and an indication the Yankees may believe that Alex Rodriguez isn’t going to play this season, the toothless Bombers are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano from the Cubs, The Post has learned.

According to a person familiar with the talks, the Cubs will pay the bulk of what is left on Soriano’s contract. He makes $18 million this year and the same for next season.

Like they did in the Vernon Wells deal, whatever the Yankees pay will be laid out for the little more than the $6 million remaining Soriano’s contract this season. That way the Yankees aren’t on the hook for money next year when they want to get the payroll to $189 million. Soriano has a no-trade clause, but he would not block a deal to put him back in Pinstripes.

In return the Cubs will get a mid-level prospect.

First off, Soriano may not be good but at least he's not Vernon Wells. Comparing him to the Yankees LF's this season and he is an upgrade, even though he's been in decline.

- Soriano hitting .256/.286/.471 .323 wOBA, 100 wRC+. Upgrade over Yankees LF's who hit  .243/.291/.359 .286 wOBA, 76 wRC+.

- Soriano has hit LHP well this year (.355 wOBA, 123 wRC+). Yankees vs. LHP this year (.287 wOBA, 77 wRC+).

- Soriano has also been decent in LF (4.3 UZR, 7.6 UZR/150). Yankees LF's were (6.1 UZR, 10.1 UZR/150) so about even in the field.

- Soriano's WAR coming into last night was 1.3. Yankees LF's were 0.3.

Apparently this won't impact the 2014 budget so I guess I can't complain. He isn't some amazing pick up but considering the offensive blackhole they had with Wells this does upgrade them a decent amount. I'm very happy that they just did something considering how lifeless this team has been. I wanted Nate Schierholtz since he's better and fairly cheap and a free agent to be but I'll take what I can get at this point.

EDIT for a good point from River Ave Blues:

Following what has become an annual slow start, he’s put up a .300/.326/.744 (186 wRC+) line with ten homers over the last 30 days.

Edited by thefiestygoat, 23 July 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#54 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

And the Biogenesis rumor mill begins:

https://twitter.com/...796316613775361

If that's the case, then it looks like Hal will make his 189 MM budget after all, depending on how long the appeal process lasts and whether the Soriano trade goes down with minimal salary committed by NY.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 23 July 2013 - 09:24 PM.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#55 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

Seems like the NY Post may have jumped the gun slightly. Soriano trade doesn't appear as close as they made it sound, though still possible.

Re: Biogenesis
A-Rod being suspended for most of, if not all of 2014 would actually be great for the Yankees. Hal gets to be cheap and they'll free up $25M from that to go towards Cano and hopefully other improvements. Any suspension of A-Rod this year would hurt the Yankees since they desperately need him back but I expect him to try to delay a suspension as long as possible since his salary goes down every year. One thing for certain, I'm sure it will get messy like it always does with him.

I don't expect a lifetime ban but I'd welcome it. Yankees get out of that horrendous deal that Levine anchored the franchise to against Cashman's wishes and we as fans get rid of this headache. I don't even care about steroids at all - I'm just sick of A-Rod. Be gone!

#56 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

Seems like the NY Post may have jumped the gun slightly. Soriano trade doesn't appear as close as they made it sound, though still possible.

Re: Biogenesis
A-Rod being suspended for most of, if not all of 2014 would actually be great for the Yankees. Hal gets to be cheap and they'll free up $25M from that to go towards Cano and hopefully other improvements. Any suspension of A-Rod this year would hurt the Yankees since they desperately need him back but I expect him to try to delay a suspension as long as possible since his salary goes down every year. One thing for certain, I'm sure it will get messy like it always does with him.

I don't expect a lifetime ban but I'd welcome it. Yankees get out of that horrendous deal that Levine anchored the franchise to against Cashman's wishes and we as fans get rid of this headache. I don't even care about steroids at all - I'm just sick of A-Rod. Be gone!

Could not agree with you more. i want Arod off my team so fvcking bad.  being able to dodge the rest of that contract would do wonders.

but, unfortunately, theres no way its the death penalty

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#57 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

https://twitter.com/...543076202192896

"#Cubs scratch Alfonso Soriano from the lineup and a deal to the #Yankees is close, according to manager Dale Sveum."

I'm about to head out so I'll have to catch up on how much the Cubs are covering in the contract later. No word on the prospect going back but I doubt it's anything much to care about.

Now go out and get Michael Young, Cashman!

#58 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

I missed the end of today's game but a nice walk off win. Jeter and Soriano providing some power and productivity from the right side of the plate that was desperately needed. Only 2.5 games out of a wild card spot. I'll take that at this point. Granderson should be back soon and the Phillies have finally made Michael Young available. Both would be welcome additions.

Hughes got roughed up and has some awful numbers for a walk year: 1.61 HR/9, 30.1 GB% in 112 IP. 4.58 ERA, 4.64 FIP, 4.40 xFIP - who will overpay for him as a FA?

Finally some Biogenesis/A-Rod news from the NY Post.

The strong indications are Major League Baseball will announce all the suspensions in the Biogenesis case this week, including one that could cover the rest of this year and all of next season for Alex Rodriguez, The Post has learned.

That could be viewed as just about the death penalty for Rodriguez, at least for his playing career. He turned 38 yesterday. He has yet to play this year. The idea that he would not play this season or next season and come back able to play in 2015 after two hip surgeries seems farfetched.

The expectation was Rodriguez had hired a cavalry of lawyers, private investigators, crisis managers and spokesmen to fight any sanction. Publicly, his camp has been feisty — and more — in trying to mount a case that both MLB and the Yankees have tried to injure his reputation and keep him from playing.

The only reason, in theory, he would cease that strategy and accept a suspension would be if he felt the evidence was irrefutable and was seeking a way to protect as much of the roughly $97 million he is still owed on his record $275 million contract.

For example, Rodriguez is owed $61 million from 2015-17. Thus, if a punishment were offered to him that extended through 2014, he might accept that to protect the $61 million. If he does accept the punishment, though, the Yankees could try to mount a case to void the rest of the deal based on fraud (a team cannot punish a player for illegal drug use; only the commissioner can do that).

#59 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 10,109 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

I don't want Michael Young. The asking price is going to be at a premium, and I don't think he solves any issues if A-Rod fights the suspension and is in the lineup next week. I'd rather keep whatever dilapidated remains of the killer B's we have left in our farm than acquire another aging bat with an extra year on his salary.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#60 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,321 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I don't want Michael Young. The asking price is going to be at a premium, and I don't think he solves any issues if A-Rod fights the suspension and is in the lineup next week. I'd rather keep whatever dilapidated remains of the killer B's we have left in our farm than acquire another aging bat with an extra year on his salary.

Well this is all for nothing since apparently Young will only go back to Texas but I don't see why you wouldn't want him. Young is a free agent after this season so there is no extra year on his salary. The cost in prospect(s) shouldn't be high. Also, Selig is planning to suspend A-Rod under a labor violation instead of a drug violation which isn't open to appeal, if A-Rod doesn't accept the suspension of the rest of 2013 and all of 2014 that is on the table. There is no way A-Rod plays a game this year. Now compare Young's production vs. Yankees 3B:

Michael Young: .277/.342/.402 .326 wOBA 106 wRC+
Yankees 3B (Worst production in MLB): .215/.275/.285 .253 wOBA 53 wRC+

Young would've been a dramatic upgrade. I've been clinging to postseason hope, but if they don't get a real 3B at the trade deadline, then I don't know how they'll get in. Especially when they are hoping that Jeter stays healthy and they still have below average production at 1B amongst other positions. At least getting Granderson back should help soon but I doubt it's enough without another move.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users