220 replies to this topic

#141 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

lol what happened to all that 'they don't want to spend to the luxury tax this year' nonsense? Or are they planning for post-Cano life?

Or planning on Arod being suspended for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#142 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'm truly shocked. I figured they'd be able to sign 1-2 big free agents but Ellsbury never crossed my mind due to his injury history and the fact they still have Gardner on the cheap for another year. I really thought they'd target Granderson/Beltran/Choo since those guys will command a lot less in years and money. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports says the Yankees are still in on Cano and Choo and are looking to add one of those guys and a P while staying under the austerity plan. Looks like they truly believe A-Rod is coming off the books.

The only way I like this deal is if they either blow past the luxury tax threshold and try to get under it next year or if they are correct in being able to sign all these guys and magically stay under the threshold. Moving Ichiro's $6.5M would be huge in doing so. Wells is a $0 against the cap so they can cut him for a 40 man roster spot too.

I figured the Yankees would probably move on from Gardner after 2014 since he'd get expensive but maybe they turn him into a valuable trade chip now (unless they keep him which I'd be happy with too). He's only projected to get $4M this year and may be able to help them bring in a IF or P to plug some holes.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#143 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

https://twitter.com/...094910420512768

"#Yankees close to signing Kelly Johnson to a 1-yr about $2.75-3M. Plan is to play a lot around diamond, potential 2b option if Cano leaves"

Kelly Johnson is a fine bench player. Up and down offensively year to year but is a career 104 wRC+ hitter and hits left handed too. Johnson can add much needed power for a 2B and has decent D at 2B and 3B (small sample size there) and can play LF. Solid insurance option if Cano goes elsewhere and cheaper than Infante. Gives Yankees even more leverage against Cano.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#144 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

Nice moves for sure, they fill needed holes, but who are the starting pitchers for the Yankees?  That seems to be getting lost in these big FA splashes. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#145 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

Nice moves for sure, they fill needed holes, but who are the starting pitchers for the Yankees?  That seems to be getting lost in these big FA splashes. 

As of this 40-man roster, it's probably (in no order) CC, Nova, Phelps, Pineda, and X (where X could very well be Kuroda again).

I'm sure the realistic scenario being kicked around is (again, no order) CC, Nova, Kuroda, Tanaka, and one of Phelps/Pineda.

There's rumblings that Brett Anderson is also in play via trade, though I'm not sure if the numbers sync up. 

Cashman has, in the past, said he wanted to acquire "400 innings" from outside the organization.

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#146 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

That's an iffy group.  CC isn't what CC used to be, Phelps has 23 starts under his belt, Nova's a bit up and down. 

Even with an iffy staff, Yankees should be around 90 wins or so...they'll beat up on bad teams. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#147 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

The newly proposed posting system is a $20M max bid/posting fee with worst records getting first rights. That's a big blow to Yankees' chance of acquiring Tanaka. 

EDIT: The LA Times says otherwise, saying the player chooses his destination of teams that post the max bid. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by nmigliore, 04 December 2013 - 05:17 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#148 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

The newly proposed posting system is a $20M max bid/posting fee with worst records getting first rights. That's a big blow to Yankees' chance of acquiring Tanaka. 

EDIT: The LA Times says otherwise, saying the player chooses his destination of teams that post the max bid. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

It may be a blow to the Yankees but i actually like that there is going to be max bid limit. The posting system was really unfair to MLB teams and this should ensure no one ends up spending an insane amount of money more than the 2nd or 3rd placed bids. It will be interesting to see if the player can choose which highest bid team he can negotiate with. I'm still seeing conflicting reports like you mentioned whether this is or isn't going to be the case.

I'm not familiar with the CBA but I wonder if a team like the Astros that wins the bid due to worst record, is allowed to trade the player in a sort of sign and trade scenario? That's assuming the player can't choose which top bidder he can negotiate with. Sort of how the Padres traded Irabu's rights to the Yankees pre-posting system. I'd assume that like draft picks, posted guys can't be traded for a set amount of time (what is it, roughly a calendar year?).

Edited by thefiestygoat, 04 December 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#149 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,217 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

Some info on the posting news that is good news for the Yankees from Jeff Passan:

"Source: In MLB's posting proposal, there is a $20M maximum posting fee. In case of tie, player free to sign with any team with top bid."

"In other words, if this proposal goes through, Masahiro Tanaka is essentially going to be a free agent, and he is going to get paid huge."

"For example: If Astros, Yanks, Dodgers, Angels all throw a $20M bid on Tanaka, all of them can negotiate with him. Practically free agency."

Also, I mentioned in the past why I thought it was dumb to rush into resetting the luxury tax number at the expense of fielding the best possible team. Here is a great article from the WSJ about how much punting the 2013 season affected the Yankees and how they can't afford to intentionally downgrade the team and miss the playoffs like Hal did in 2013.

Proceeds from ticket sales and stadium suite licenses alone totaled $295 million through Sept. 30 this year, according to public records reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. That is down from $353 million in 2012, $377 million in 2011 and $384 million in 2010, the records show.

Had the Yankees failed to reach the playoffs in 2012, their ticket and suite revenues would have been closer to $300 million rather than $353 million, the people said. Similarly, in 2010 and 2011, postseason games accounted for $59 million and $58 million of all such revenues, respectively.

In other words, a Yankees team that wins 93 games and makes the playoffs brings in about 15% more ticket and suite revenue than a Yankees team that wins 88 games and misses the playoffs. And that is to say nothing of the boost in merchandise and concession sales and next-year ticket sales.

#150 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:14 AM

https://twitter.com/...094910420512768

"#Yankees close to signing Kelly Johnson to a 1-yr about $2.75-3M. Plan is to play a lot around diamond, potential 2b option if Cano leaves"

Kelly Johnson is a fine bench player. Up and down offensively year to year but is a career 104 wRC+ hitter and hits left handed too. Johnson can add much needed power for a 2B and has decent D at 2B and 3B (small sample size there) and can play LF. Solid insurance option if Cano goes elsewhere and cheaper than Infante. Gives Yankees even more leverage against Cano.

This is now official. Too lazy to link it up. A solid utility addition if Cano puts aside his ego and realizes he can be the man here. I love the Ellsbury move. Of course, the length and term is ridiculous. But I'm a huge fan of the Berry. He's a winning ballplayer who brings a good glove, great speed and a solid bat. Best of all he gets on-base. In some twisted irony, it reminds me of when they signed Damon. But of course, he was much cheaper. Ellsbury has more left. You always worry about health. He's had some bad luck in the past. I definitely think there will be a power increase. I'm excited. Keep Gardner and you have a classic 1-2 punch with speed and D. Soriano can either shift to right or DH. Imagine if Cano re-signs.

The McCann addition was a no brainer. Everyone knew he was going to sign. The contract is more risky because he's a catcher. Plus his production has kind of leveled off. The Braves can now shift Gattis to full time backstop. It's still essential to carry a good backup. Romine should be that guy. Cervelli is probably gone.

As for pitching, they need a couple of arms. Arroyo might work. He's a proven vet who performed in Boston. Though I'd prefer another lefty. There's not much available. Josh Johnson wouldn't have been a bad choice. But he's better off back in the NL with San Diego. I'm one of those that likes bargains. I wonder who will take a chance on Santana.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#151 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

Tanaka may not post this year after all.

That's a huge blow to the Yankees if this goes through, and it probably drives up the competition for the FA arms around too.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#152 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

As for pitching, they need a couple of arms. Arroyo might work. He's a proven vet who performed in Boston. Though I'd prefer another lefty. There's not much available. Josh Johnson wouldn't have been a bad choice. But he's better off back in the NL with San Diego. I'm one of those that likes bargains. I wonder who will take a chance on Santana.

I'm not being entirely facetious when I say that one of the reasons I don't follow baseball nearly as much as I used to is because garbage like Ervin Santana can ask for $100 million over five years with a straight face.
Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#153 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

So apparently Seattle is OUT on Cano

Robbie Cano may have to accept what the Yankees are offering, I don't know if there's anyone else out there that would go near the pricetag he just scrapped from Seattle.

#154 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

Nice going Jay Z.  Yankees have the leverage now. 

#30 FOREVER!

#155 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

So apparently Seattle is OUT on Cano

Robbie Cano may have to accept what the Yankees are offering, I don't know if there's anyone else out there that would go near the pricetag he just scrapped from Seattle.

Looks like JayZ is completely in over his head, or he essentially got played by his own client, and perhaps both. 

The only thing that he can do to differentiate himself from guys like Boras is to push this idea that he can turn his clients into celebrities.  Sports agents aren't really in that game though.

Posted Image

#156 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

And now talks are back on per Rosenthal (same link). 

#157 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

It was just reported Cano is a Mariner

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#158 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,371 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:36 AM

Gotta wonder if the Yankees are really that much better now than they were last year.  A no-brainer deal for McCann, a gross overpayment for Ellsbury, no Cano, probably not keeping Granderson, and all of the infield positions are question marks now. 

#30 FOREVER!

#159 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

It was just reported Cano is a Mariner

Well, guess that's why I'm not an agent.

Posted Image

#160 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Gotta wonder if the Yankees are really that much better now than they were last year.  A no-brainer deal for McCann, a gross overpayment for Ellsbury, no Cano, probably not keeping Granderson, and all of the infield positions are question marks now. 

Assuming Texeira's healthy, and perhaps if by some miracle Arod doesn't get suspended, I think there's a good chance they'll be better.  They have Soriano for the entire year, so power shouldn't be that much of a problem.  Who knows, maybe even Jeter will have something left in the tank. 

Really comes down to pitching though.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users