1269 replies to this topic

#201 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Here's an interesting scenario: Lets say Carolina gets #4 and we're at #8. Would you guys give up Tallinder or even Fayne to switch with the Canes? Maybe one of Drouin or Mackinnon would fall to us and worst case, we'd get Barkov

#202 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

Here's an interesting scenario: Lets say Carolina gets #4 and we're at #8. Would you guys give up Tallinder or even Fayne to switch with the Canes? Maybe one of Drouin or Mackinnon would fall to us and worst case, we'd get Barkov

well, you're essentially asking which is worth more - moving up from 8 to 4 or a 2nd round pick.

it all depends on what else either of them could get.

if i could get, say, kulemin for one of them, i'd rather do that than move up from 8 to 4.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#203 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

One problem is that Carolina will be straddilng the cap next year with a lot of roster spots to fill, so it would be hard for them to justify picking up a $3 million cap hit in Tallinder when there wouldn't be equivalent salary, much less equivalent talent going the other way. 

Also, while this draft is supposed to be deep, Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Nishkinin/Barkov appear to be the 1A prospects.  If I were a Canes' fan, I'd be really upset if Carolina missed out on one of those players in order to get a mid-pairing defenseman that was only under contract for one year.  I would demand Merrill in any such scenario. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#204 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

One problem is that Carolina will be straddilng the cap next year with a lot of roster spots to fill, so it would be hard for them to justify picking up a $3 million cap hit in Tallinder when there wouldn't be equivalent salary, much less equivalent talent going the other way. 

Also, while this draft is supposed to be deep, Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin/Nishkinin/Barkov appear to be the 1A prospects.  If I were a Canes' fan, I'd be really upset if Carolina missed out on one of those players in order to get a mid-pairing defenseman that was only under contract for one year.  I would demand Merrill in any such scenario. 

Fayne isnt expensive at all and we could take a bad contract if it came to that. The top 5 is too strong to not take a risk

#205 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Fayne isnt expensive at all and we could take a bad contract if it came to that. The top 5 is too strong to not take a risk

I would trade Fayne in a heartbeat to get into the top five.  There's no way the Canes would do that though, even if Fayne were making the league minimum.  He is under contract for only one more year, the Canes are not making a Cup push next year, and even if they were, Fayne is nowhere near good enough to risk losing out on a player that is a good chance to be a perennial all-star.  As I said, if I'm the Canes, I'm hanging up the phone immediately if the first offer does not involve Merrill.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#206 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:16 PM

I would trade Fayne in a heartbeat to get into the top five.  There's no way the Canes would do that though, even if Fayne were making the league minimum.  He is under contract for only one more year, the Canes are not making a Cup push next year, and even if they were, Fayne is nowhere near good enough to risk losing out on a player that is a good chance to be a perennial all-star.  As I said, if I'm the Canes, I'm hanging up the phone immediately if the first offer does not involve Merrill.

I get that feeling Fayne won't be too expensive to re-sign. He's a clear top 4 guy and would be their 3rd best dman after Pitkanen and Gleason. 4th overall isn't gonna get them Jones and they can get good guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, etc at 8th overall

#207 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I don't think you trade up to 4 w/ Fayne, you have to get into the top 3 w/ the big 3 this year unless you really love Barkov. 4-8's probably the same caliber of player. Unless you're getting a sure fire in the top 6 guy next year, it's probably not worth it

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#208 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't think you trade up to 4 w/ Fayne, you have to get into the top 3 w/ the big 3 this year unless you really love Barkov. 4-8's probably the same caliber of player. Unless you're getting a sure fire in the top 6 guy next year, it's probably not worth it

Remember, Couturier made it all the way down to 8th. If a team likes Barkov or Nichuskin over Mackinnon or Drouin, it isn't out of the question we could get one of the Mooseheads

#209 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

I get that feeling Fayne won't be too expensive to re-sign. He's a clear top 4 guy and would be their 3rd best dman after Pitkanen and Gleason. 4th overall isn't gonna get them Jones and they can get good guys like Nurse, Ristolainen, etc at 8th overall

You're still competing with 29 other teams once he hits free agency.  The fact that he would be a good UFA value makes him a more desirable acquisition makes a lot of teams interested in signing him.  Carolina's cap situation is beside the point so far as it concerns Fayne. 

Think of it this way, would you trade Barkov for Darnell Nurse and a second pairing defenseman?  I sure as sh!t would not.

Posted Image

#210 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

You're still competing with 29 other teams once he hits free agency.  The fact that he would be a good UFA value makes him a more desirable acquisition makes a lot of teams interested in signing him.  Carolina's cap situation is beside the point so far as it concerns Fayne. 

Think of it this way, would you trade Barkov for Darnell Nurse and a second pairing defenseman?  I sure as sh!t would not.

Carolina seems set at center for awhile. They have both Staals down the middl who are both pretty young. I've seen Nurse go as high as 5th; I think you're underselling him a bit. Fayne instantly gives them a guy who can play 20 minutes a night and in every situation

#211 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Carolina seems set at center for awhile. They have both Staals down the middl who are both pretty young. I've seen Nurse go as high as 5th; I think you're underselling him a bit. Fayne instantly gives them a guy who can play 20 minutes a night and in every situation

20 minutes a night?  So in other words, about the average TOI a defenseman ought to be getting?

Posted Image

#212 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

My latest Top 10 Mock:

1. FLA - Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL)
2. COL - Nathan Mackinnon, C/RW, Halifax (QMJHL)
3. CGY - Aleksander Barkov, C/RW, Tappara (FIN)
4. CAR - Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
5. TB - Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas (SWE)
6. NSH - Valeri Nichushkin, C/LW, Chelyabinsk (RUS)
7. PHI - Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. (OHL)
8. EDM - Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon (WHL)
9. NJ - Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL)
10. BUF - Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat (WHL)

I would love to see Monahan in a Devils uniform, he could very likely go in the Top 7 or 6 though. Also with Nurse, I think Philly is going to absolutely fall in love with that kid, I think there's gonna be better players available at the pick but I think he's a very Flyers defenseman, big, strong, hard-hitting and has a bomb of a shot (as most big defensemen do).

Edited by Brandon, 16 April 2013 - 01:26 PM.

25smul5.png

#213 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

20 minutes a night?  So in other words, about the average TOI a defenseman ought to be getting?

For whatever reason, the Devils would rather play Salvador and Zidlicky big minutes over Fayne. But if you watched last years playoffs, you know what he's capable of

#214 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

A year or two back I recall a TSN article on McKinnon comparison to being the next Crosby. So if is still a thought to be true I'd say lets pick him. Should be great with kovy and loki

#215 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

A year or two back I recall a TSN article on McKinnon comparison to being the next Crosby. So if is still a thought to be true I'd say lets pick him. Should be great with kovy and loki

Behind D, I think Center is the least needed position. Look at what we have as of now:

Zajac (signed longterm)

Henrique (I think he should be a winger, but the Devils seem insistent on him as a pivot)

Loktionov (young, solid player who can eat up weak competition)

Josefson (a perfect 3rd line center)

Of course you take the BPA, but this team is in serious need of a legit winger

#216 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

Behind D, I think Center is the least needed position. Look at what we have as of now:

Zajac (signed longterm)
Henrique (I think he should be a winger, but the Devils seem insistent on him as a pivot)
Loktionov (young, solid player who can eat up weak competition)
Josefson (a perfect 3rd line center)

Of course you take the BPA, but this team is in serious need of a legit winger

We switch everyone else around right? Why not him? His first taste on the nylon level at wing. Him being a center somewhere else compared to the nhl is significantly different right? Can happen. It's just a thought. What hit it for me is tge Crosby comparison.

#217 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

We switch everyone else around right? Why not him? His first taste on the nylon level at wing. Him being a center somewhere else compared to the nhl is significantly different right? Can happen. It's just a thought. What hit it for me is tge Crosby comparison.

That comparison is a couple of years old, though. He is being outperformed by his teammate, Jonathan Drouin. Unless you're telling me Drouin is gonna be Lemieux

#218 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

whatever makes us better agree. Whichever out of the top them is good alongside kovy. Given he pans out. Maybe nish or barkov. Drouin sounds like a pokemon to. Wouls be a fun jersey to own. But really would nish be our best bet for a foward?

#219 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:58 PM

whatever makes us better agree. Whichever out of the top them is good alongside kovy. Given he pans out. Maybe nish or barkov. Drouin sounds like a pokemon to. Wouls be a fun jersey to own. But really would nish be our best bet for a foward?

I know it was only a handful of games, but Loktionov and Kovalchuk looked pretty good together.  Lokti is a craft playmaker who has soft hands. 

Nichuskin- You'd have to wait at least 2 years since he signed a 3 year deal with his KHL team last summer. But everyone is saying he'd be worth the wait. He is a 6'4 power forward who has Rick Nash potential. If he drops to 8 or wherever we pick, I think you take him 10 out of 10 times

#220 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

It's a risk waiting. Injury, him wanting to stay. It's more of a risk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users