1242 replies to this topic

#221 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,658 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

well its easy, see... if you take a step back and look at it... who in their right mind would pick a guy like Brodin, Hamilton, Couturier, Armia, JT Miller or wtv in 2011 when you could have got Carter Ashton 29th overall in 2009 already... 

or by the same logic...  Skinner, Burmistrov or Granlund in 2010 over Daultan Leveille at 29 in 2008... i mean come onnnn

This makes no sense.  The 29th pick is not set in stone - it represents a range of possible picks, some of which will turn out well, some which won't - nor is it set in stone that the Devils will be picking between 8th and 12th next year.  

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#222 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Can the Devils take the NHL to court over the draft pick penalty and tie it up for a few years?

#223 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

This makes no sense.  The 29th pick is not set in stone - it represents a range of possible picks, some of which will turn out well, some which won't - nor is it set in stone that the Devils will be picking between 8th and 12th next year.  

didn't Corey Perry and David Perron and guys like that go around the end of the first round? Elias didn't even make it into the first round way back. Matteau could conceivably be the next Zubrus and we'll be ok with that 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#224 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:16 AM

Can the Devils take the NHL to court over the draft pick penalty and tie it up for a few years?

This!

I think the whole thing seems extremely unreasonable. The NHL agreed to contract regulations they dislike themselves. Sucks for them. Now they fixed it. Good job. Why on earth should the Devils be singled out and penalized for it? :o

Posted Image

#225 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,564 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

Why take Mike Green in 2004 at 29, when you can wait and take Riku Helenius, Ty Wishart, Mark Mitera, David Fischer, Bobby Sandguinetti, Dennis Persson, Leland Irving, or Ivan Vishnevsky with an earlier pick in 2006!?!?!

Of course, in 2004 you could have had AJ Thelen on defense at 12th overall...but obviously nobody made that pick because it's stupid to pick a worse player earlier in a draft.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#226 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,564 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

It wouldn't take years, even if the CBA allows a teams to sue the league over a situation like this, which I doubt.  All the proper process was followed, so there's no basis for overturning the leagues punishment.  It wouldn't take long for a judge or arbiter to see that.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#227 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

when i thought i could not have put it more obvious that it was sarcastic, people still fall for it

but seriously i still don't like that we didnt gave up that pick, i understand the situation and where Lou is coming from with it but i'd hate to have to give a bottom 15 pick next year so i hope the boys bounce back

www.SterioDesign.com

#228 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

The only guy i dont want is Anthony Mantha from VD... yes he score 45 goals... yes he is talented, but he plays one game on 3... he have no constence... My girlfriend is a huge Foreurs fans... dont tell her i said that :P

#229 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,930 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

The only guy i dont want is Anthony Mantha from VD... yes he score 45 goals... yes he is talented, but he plays one game on 3... he have no constence... My girlfriend is a huge Foreurs fans... dont tell her i said that :P

really? well i just happened to catch him on that 1 game every time then haha

www.SterioDesign.com

#230 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

They could try, but it won't work. There's an iron clad arbitration clause in the CBA.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#231 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

They could try, but it won't work. There's an iron clad arbitration clause in the CBA.

Teams can no longer take the NHL to court ot block a league ruling.  If they do, they face a massive fine ($1 million+) and, i believe, possible loss of draft picks.  The League actually implemented this policy after Lou and the Devils got an injunction from a NJ Judge to block the suspension of Jim Schoenfeld in the 1987 Wales Conference Finals vs. Boston following the Koharski "have another donut" incident. 

Posted Image

#232 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

There is also a great article detailing the entire Koharski-doughnut incident if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.nj.com/de..._a_major_f.html

Posted Image

#233 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

This!

I think the whole thing seems extremely unreasonable. The NHL agreed to contract regulations they dislike themselves. Sucks for them. Now they fixed it. Good job. Why on earth should the Devils be singled out and penalized for it? :o

Recall that we can't sue the NHL in court. It's against the rules, lol.

I already got beat....I didn't get in early enough. Have another doooughnut, lol.

Edited by ATLL765, 18 April 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#234 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

really? well i just happened to catch him on that 1 game every time then haha

ive watch 12 game this years.....

What's your thought on barkov? i love the fact he is 6 foot 2.... the video i see from him made him look like a dominant player... 

I love linholm toon(man he is quick) the only problem with him could be his scoring touch.... he score a lot but miss a lot from what i have seen at the WJC

#235 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

My pick would be Nichuskin if he is avalaible... he is the one who impress me the most (if we count out drouin)

#236 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

ive watch 12 game this years.....

What's your thought on barkov? i love the fact he is 6 foot 2.... the video i see from him made him look like a dominant player... 

I love linholm toon(man he is quick) the only problem with him could be his scoring touch.... he score a lot but miss a lot from what i have seen at the WJC

I recall our resident scout, J. MacIssac, saying that Barkov was like a bigger version of Datsyuk, so having him on the team would be very exciting. 

I don't love the idea of Nishkinin just because he would not be available for a couple of years.  The Devils can use all the help in the talent department right now.  I also like the idea of getting draft picks that can play immediately for the excitement factor.

It's been said here before, but I have this irrational fear of drafting anymore Swedes in the first round.  Larsson seems to be the only one that has a shot at being an above-average NHLer, but he's bee really disappointing thus far.  So hopefully we're not in a position one way or another to draft Lindholm.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#237 SMantzas

SMantzas

Head Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

I recall our resident scout, J. MacIssac, saying that Barkov was like a bigger version of Datsyuk, so having him on the team would be very exciting.

I don't love the idea of Nishkinin just because he would not be available for a couple of years. The Devils can use all the help in the talent department right now. I also like the idea of getting draft picks that can play immediately for the excitement factor.

It's been said here before, but I have this irrational fear of drafting anymore Swedes in the first round. Larsson seems to be the only one that has a shot at being an above-average NHLer, but he's bee really disappointing thus far. So hopefully we're not in a position one way or another to draft Lindholm.

Avoiding picking a player based on nationality. Thank god you aren't a scout

#238 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

Avoiding picking a player based on nationality. Thank god you aren't a scout

Along with calling a 19 year old a disappointment because he hasn't shown generational talent levels.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#239 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,450 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

sterio - great new signature. very cool.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#240 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

sterio - great new signature. very cool.

Well if he's listing all likely possibilities, he might as well add one with the name "Forfeit" on it. 13 is Lou's unlucky number, anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users