1269 replies to this topic

#261 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

Galchenyuk is American the way Courturier is American. Both were born in the US, but raised mainly outside of the US. And I never said all Swedes are busts or that they can't make it in the NHL. (What is it with strawmen?) It's just that the Devils have a very poor record when it comes to drafting Swedes. (BTW, you forgot to mention Bergfors). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree.

Swedes usually are a safe bet to draft.  Even JD once said years ago that when in doubt, draft a swede.  However the Devils just find a way of drafting I guess the "wrong" ones and we get stuck with the ones that we have.  Larsson is probably the most promising.  Josefson has not impressed that much so far, but still has a chance. However Tedenby is a bust and Bergfors turned out to be one as well.

#262 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

Galchenyuk is American the way Courturier is American. Both were born in the US, but raised mainly outside of the US. And I never said all Swedes are busts or that they can't make it in the NHL. (What is it with strawmen?) It's just that the Devils have a very poor record when it comes to drafting Swedes. (BTW, you forgot to mention Bergfors). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tedenby was a bad pick considering who was left on the board

Bergfors had obvious skill and was a major part of the Kovalchuk trade (so he wasn't a total waste)

Josefson is a really good player. I think he'll anchor the third line for years to come. 

Larsson is 20 years old playing and playing well in the NHL. With a bit more foot speed and an improved shot, he'll be a freaking beast

#263 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Tedenby was a bad pick considering who was left on the board

Bergfors had obvious skill and was a major part of the Kovalchuk trade (so he wasn't a total waste)

Josefson is a really good player. I think he'll anchor the third line for years to come. 

Larsson is 20 years old playing and playing well in the NHL. With a bit more foot speed and an improved shot, he'll be a freaking beast

Just for the hell of it, assuming the standings stay the same:

1) Florida- Nathan Mackinnon

2) Colorado- Seth Jones

3) Carolina- Jonathan Drouin

4) Nashville- Alex Barkov

5) Tampa Bay- Valeri Nichuskin

6) Calgary- Elias Lindholm

7) Edmonton- Darnell Nurse

8) Philadelphia- Rasmus Ristolainen 

9) NJ- Hunter Shinkaruk

Assuming NJ picks no later than 10th, I'd love for them to trade up to where CGY or TB are picking. I don't care whether its picks or Fayne or Tallinder

#264 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Just for the hell of it, assuming the standings stay the same:

1) Florida- Nathan Mackinnon

2) Colorado- Seth Jones

3) Carolina- Jonathan Drouin

4) Nashville- Alex Barkov

5) Tampa Bay- Valeri Nichuskin

6) Calgary- Elias Lindholm

7) Edmonton- Darnell Nurse

8) Philadelphia- Rasmus Ristolainen 

9) NJ- Hunter Shinkaruk

Assuming NJ picks no later than 10th, I'd love for them to trade up to where CGY or TB are picking. I don't care whether its picks or Fayne or Tallinder

I've mentioned this before, but I recall hearing somewhere that TB always liked Andy Greene.  Still, I just don't see any team in the top five trading down unless they're getting a top prospect, another high pick or a player that would be under their control for at least three years. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#265 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Along with calling a 19 year old a disappointment because he hasn't shown generational talent levels.

As I've said before, he's good for at least two major breakdowns every game.  And he doesn't seem to do anything all that well, except his passing.   

It seems like he'll end up being a good NHL defenseman.  They're hard to find, but it's a bit disappointing that that's what we got out of the number 4 pick.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#266 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

As I've said before, he's good for at least two major breakdowns every game. And he doesn't seem to do anything all that well, except his passing.

It seems like he'll end up being a good NHL defenseman. They're hard to find, but it's a bit disappointing that that's what we got out of the number 4 pick.

except that several of his skills are way above average for a defensemen his age (passing, vision, and poise). He won't be a lidstrom but he should definitely be a first pairing guy in like 3 years. He needs to work on his D, his shooting, and his skating. But those are things that can be worked on. Poise and vision are not something you can teach

#267 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

I've mentioned this before, but I recall hearing somewhere that TB always liked Andy Greene.  Still, I just don't see any team in the top five trading down unless they're getting a top prospect, another high pick or a player that would be under their control for at least three years. 

Dealing Greene would mean eventually overpaying for a veteran D in free agency. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#268 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

Do we still own our 2nd round pick this year?? Draft class has apparently been called "Best/Deepest in over a decade", so if we have a top 10 pick, we will also most likely be picking again 31-40 range, and there are always some guys that take a dive down the draft board, could get a potential steal in the early 2nd round.

#269 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Do we still own our 2nd round pick this year?? Draft class has apparently been called "Best/Deepest in over a decade", so if we have a top 10 pick, we will also most likely be picking again 31-40 range, and there are always some guys that take a dive down the draft board, could get a potential steal in the early 2nd round.

We have a 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th rd pick this year

#270 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Dealing Greene would mean eventually overpaying for a veteran D in free agency. 

This.
The only defensemen that are even worth dealing is Tallinder and/or some prospects.  In my eyes, Tallinder is the only expendable and tradable guy of our 8.  Greene is a leader in our locker room and has been on this team for eight years.  Lou doesn't like to trade his undrafted guys who have turned into gems.  See David Clarkson, Ralfie, Madden

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#271 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:50 AM

This.
The only defensemen that are even worth dealing is Tallinder and/or some prospects.  In my eyes, Tallinder is the only expendable and tradable guy of our 8.  Greene is a leader in our locker room and has been on this team for eight years.  Lou doesn't like to trade his undrafted guys who have turned into gems.  See David Clarkson, Ralfie, Madden

If we could send Tallinder packing for another 2nd, I'd be ok. I'd be ok with a d prospect heading out if we can get good return out of it, otherwise sit tight, draft, sign some amnestied guys and try again next year.

#272 maniacdevsdude

maniacdevsdude

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

FVCK THE DRAFT. We need to make the playoffs.

#273 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

FVCK THE DRAFT. We need to make the playoffs.

"Need"?  Why do we "need" to make the playoffs?  Frankly, we "need" to get a decent player in the draft a lot more than we "need" to become cannon fodder for the Penguins.  I'm not saying we should tank the rest of the season, but neither do I think it would be the end of the world if the stars failed to align to usher us into the playoffs.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#274 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

Players I think we can take a legitimate look at drafting:

Nathan Mackinnon (If we won the lottery, long shot though)
Elias Lindholm
Valeri Nichushkin
Sean Monahan
Hunter Shinkaruk

I'd take any of those guys with open arms, they're all gonna be terrific forwards and could probably play next year.
25smul5.png

#275 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

Players I think we can take a legitimate look at drafting:

Nathan Mackinnon (If we won the lottery, long shot though)
Elias Lindholm
Valeri Nichushkin
Sean Monahan
Hunter Shinkaruk

I'd take any of those guys with open arms, they're all gonna be terrific forwards and could probably play next year.

we're going to have to see how the may rankings shake out to see what the latest consensus is but i don't think there is anyway the devils get mackinnon. if they win the lottery and get the first pick, i don't see how they can pass on seth jones. he is clearly the #1 prospect and an all situations defender with size. he's getting pronger comparisons which, while obviously extreme, still speak to the kind of talent he has.

nobody has been more vocal than me in saying that the devils have done a poor job dealing with their abundance of assets on d while they have relatively few on forward, but i don't see how you pass this up.

they would be in a position to have a 14/15 defense of:

greene-larsson

merril-jones

severson-fayne

that is amazing and something you simply cannot pass on.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#276 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

we're going to have to see how the may rankings shake out to see what the latest consensus is but i don't think there is anyway the devils get mackinnon. if they win the lottery and get the first pick, i don't see how they can pass on seth jones. he is clearly the #1 prospect and an all situations defender with size. he's getting pronger comparisons which, while obviously extreme, still speak to the kind of talent he has.

nobody has been more vocal than me in saying that the devils have done a poor job dealing with their abundance of assets on d while they have relatively few on forward, but i don't see how you pass this up.

they would be in a position to have a 14/15 defense of:

greene-larsson

merril-jones

severson-fayne

that is amazing and something you simply cannot pass on.

i'd pass on Jones personally, do we need to wait years and years (on top of Larsson) to know if our picks are really busts or not and hear about how it takes longer for dmen to develop. 

We don't have a team who can afford too much patience now, we need guys ASAP.

www.SterioDesign.com

#277 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

If we got the 1st Overall through the Lottery I would really be pulling for Lou to take Mackinnon, the feeling I get is with Mackinnon and Jones it's a 1A and 1B type situation and we really need forwards, and Mackinnon could go straight on to a line with Kovalchuk and Henrique/Zajac.
25smul5.png

#278 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,759 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

OR if we'd win the lottery and since there's LOTS of talent id inquiry to see if theres team in the top 4 who would want Jones and would be willing to send an extra pick or player/prospect our way to move up.

but i'd get sure to be able to land Mackinnon or Drouin though... so yeah... maybe just deal with the top 3

Edited by SterioDesign, 21 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#279 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

Defense wins championships. You draft Jones in the first second you are on the clock. Larsson, Merill and Jones would be rock solid for 10 plus years. Half your defense is set and they are all excellent transitionally. Anyone who has played the game will tell you offense comes from good defense. The likelihood of this happening is very low but is an absolute dream come true scenario. 

#280 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Defense wins championships. You draft Jones in the first second you are on the clock. Larsson, Merill and Jones would be rock solid for 10 plus years. Half your defense is set and they are all excellent transitionally. Anyone who has played the game will tell you offense comes from good defense. The likelihood of this happening is very low but is an absolute dream come true scenario. 

They would also cost a ton of money to keep long term as well.  If the other team doesn't score you don't lose.  But, you still need to score to win.  I'd look to trade 1 over all and grab one of the forwards a few slots back.  It's all hypothetical because they are long shot for the pick anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users