1269 replies to this topic

#281 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

They would also cost a ton of money to keep long term as well.  If the other team doesn't score you don't lose.  But, you still need to score to win.  I'd look to trade 1 over all and grab one of the forwards a few slots back.  It's all hypothetical because they are long shot for the pick anyway.

Yeah, but if you pay $6M or so each for three stud defensemen, it is a lot more effective than 3 forwards. You can have one of those D on ice at all times. Those championship teams were so dominant having Stevens and Nieds on the ice 2/3rds of the game. Not to mention the development of Rafi who turned out to be a damn good player too.

#282 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

If by some stroke of luck the Devils won the lottery, I'd hope they take Jones. From everything I've seen and read, he is the top prospect, without a doubt in my mind. Sure the Devils will still need forward help but that would further enable them to trade one of the surplus, quality D prospects in a trade for help up front.

Where they sit right now, I'd be excited about the possiblity of Shinkaruk but of course I wouldn't mind if they moved up. I'm waiting till the Hockey Prospect Blackbook comes out this year before I form concrete opinions - especially about the European players who I haven't really seen. What Barkov has done at his age has been amazing though. I can't remember where, but I read that Nichushkin may have issues with smaller rink sizes in NA. Depending what HP has to say about him will really impact my opinion on him one way or the other.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#283 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

If we are sitting at ten, how would you guys feel if someone offered us to move back to 20, and gave us a 1st rounder next year?

#284 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,437 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

I don't think any team would be dumb enough to trade a first to move back ten spots this year.  At most you might get another second.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#285 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Anyone know how long after the end of the season the lottery will take place? I know it's not long because it's usually before or during the 1st Round of the Playoffs.
25smul5.png

#286 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,340 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

Anyone know how long after the end of the season the lottery will take place? I know it's not long because it's usually before or during the 1st Round of the Playoffs.

April 29- a week from today.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#287 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

If we got the 1st Overall through the Lottery I would really be pulling for Lou to take Mackinnon, the feeling I get is with Mackinnon and Jones it's a 1A and 1B type situation and we really need forwards, and Mackinnon could go straight on to a line with Kovalchuk and Henrique/Zajac.

They have both been incredible for their teams in juniors but I really think the world junior tournament and, maybe more importantly, the CHL Top Prospects game are a better indicator of how good these players are. You can definitely make the argument (as MANY did) that MacKinnon was overshadowed by a deep Canadian team and to an extent I agree but he was still as close to invisible as it gets out there. Jones, on the other hand, was absolutely dominant and the single biggest reason the US team won the gold. He was good in all three zones had incredible puck handling skills including along the boards and in open ice, had great vision on the breakout (when he wasn't taking the puck up himself) and was the driving force behind a very solid PP. Like I said though the top prospects game is probably a better indicator of their talents because they are playing against only the other draft eligible players, but in that game the results were the same. Even as the captain and number one player on the team MacKinnon was still overshadowed by Drouin and Domi among others while Seth Jones skated up down and though the other team showing off his offensive and defensive skills.

Don't get me wrong I think they are both going to be incredible but Jones is just one of those other worldly talents that just shouldn't be passed up no matter what the needs are. I think Jones would have the type of effect on this team that Drew Doughty has had for LA where he is a catalyst for offense every time hes on the ice sometimes simply because of the attention that is payed to him. It's that same effect that Kovy has on our PP where even when he doesn't get a point, the fact that he draws players to him but can still make plays gives everyone else more chances.

Long story short, if we somehow get lucky enough to win the lottery twice in three seasons, even with our glut at defense, I just don't think we can pass up the chance to get Seth Jones because, IMO, Jones and MacKinnon are NOT 1A and 1B they are 1 and 3 (I think Drouin is better than MacKinnon personally but it's really close).  

Edited by brickwall30, 22 April 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#288 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

BTW, has anyone heard anything about when tickets go on sale for the draft? should be awesome being able to watch the draft live when we have such a good pick 

#289 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

With WPG and DET winning, the Devils are guaranteed to pick no later than 12th

#290 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Mackinnon fan dont forget drouin have 30 more point than him and he plys only 4 game more than him... anyway thursday ill see them both against the huskies here in rouyn

#291 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

Mackinnon fan dont forget drouin have 30 more point than him and he plys only 4 game more than him... anyway thursday ill see them both against the huskies here in rouyn

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. It makes it hard to believe that MacKinnon is still the #1 forward in this draft.

#292 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, I've noticed this as well. It makes it hard to believe that MacKinnon is still the #1 forward in this draft.

at the world juniors Drouin was also alot better than Mackinnon

www.SterioDesign.com

#293 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

I listen to a video describing Barkov asset and how good he is... the guy was quoting David Conte scout of the new jersey Devils at the and sayong how good he was...

Edited by caron14, 23 April 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#294 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Ok, after reading up on Shinkaruk and watching some highlight videos, I'd love to see him here. Very fast and shifty, great wrister, elite hands. He projects similarly to Skinner

#295 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ok, after reading up on Shinkaruk and watching some highlight videos, I'd love to see him here. Very fast and shifty, great wrister, elite hands. He projects similarly to Skinner

Dotn hate him but small size.... i would love us to draft a guy nhl ready soon.... He didnt produce like last year either 

#296 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Dotn hate him but small size.... i would love us to draft a guy nhl ready soon.... He didnt produce like last year either 

He had 5 less points in 2 less games. He produced at the same pace, except he wasn't playing with Emerson Etem (Ducks prospect) like he was last year. I'd love Drouin and Mackinnon as much as the rest, but this guy is a legit possibility considering where we'll be picking

#297 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,800 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

I listen to a video describing Barkov asset and how good he is... the guy was quoting David Conte scout of the new jersey Devils at the and sayong how good he was...

Depressing that he's just out of reach.  Although perhaps the fact that Conte is so high on him might lead Lou to bring out the big guns to trade up to get him. 

Edited by Daniel, 23 April 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#298 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,830 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Depressing that he's just out of reach.  Although perhaps the fact that Conte is so high on him might lead Lou to bring out the big guns to trade up to get him. 

Which brings up an interesting point. Let's say for some reason NJ ends up with Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm (all centers who are close to if not NHL ready), what do we do? Right now, we have Zajac, Loktionov, Josefson, Gionta and Henrique at the pivot. I think Henrique should be used at wing and Gio should either be the 13th forward or move to wing. But still, you either have to trade one of JJ or Lokti or not resign them. It's clear that JJ should not be used in a fourth line role and I doubt Lou wants 3 guys under 23 centering lines

#299 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Which brings up an interesting point. Let's say for some reason NJ ends up with Mackinnon, Barkov, Monahan or Lindholm (all centers who are close to if not NHL ready), what do we do? Right now, we have Zajac, Loktionov, Josefson, Gionta and Henrique at the pivot. I think Henrique should be used at wing and Gio should either be the 13th forward or move to wing. But still, you either have to trade one of JJ or Lokti or not resign them. It's clear that JJ should not be used in a fourth line role and I doubt Lou wants 3 guys under 23 centering lines

That would be a good problem to have.  You can never have enough strength down the middle. 

Posted Image

#300 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

I don't think Lou would care what age they were as long as they were effective at the position.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users