1269 replies to this topic

#361 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

if we win the lottery best thing to do is to trade with calgary for their pick et and their later pick they acquire for iginla... than draft barkov drouin or mackinnon... and draft another good prospect.

#362 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I hate when we trade down, it seems like there's no one left that they really like and we seem to end up with guys like Tedenby and Corrente.  I know we traded down for Brodeur, but that was two decades ago and it's a little different because they were simply targeting a goalie.   How much better off would we have been if we just stayed in our spot in 2006 and drafted Patrik Berglund instead of trading down and going off the board for Corrente and adding another later pick which I believe became Zharkov?   Didn't we also trade down before pissing away a pick on Adrian Foster as well?  

On the other hand, when Lou and Conte see someone they really like and trade up to get him it's usually turned out pretty well.   Parise, Zajac and Gomez off the top of my head.  Hopefully they have a similar target this year.

Edit: In 2001 we traded the extra pick we has from the Blues fallout to the Panthers for two 2nd rounders which became Thomas Pihlman and Igor Pohanka.  Panthers took Lukas Krajicek who at least had a servicable NHL career.      

Just making my opinion known in that I'm not suggesting that's what we should do either (trade down). I'm just saying that it's a possibility that will happen (which our draft history supports).

Therefore, I thought it would be useful to discuss who we think we should take in that case. 

at 14/15 area I could see us looking at Wennberg, maybe taking Lazar (his draft rankings vary drastically, and sometimes players like that get taken on the high end of their ranking). Rychel is also interesting, but is geneally ranked around 20.  Those are all forwards, which we need now (and drafting for now is not great), but considering last year we took mostly forwards intentionally, maybe they just go BPA at 14/15. Could we see a goalie like Fucale?

#363 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I don't think there would be any excuse for forfeiting this pick this year. The draft is being held in Newark, the team has a guaranteed top 10 pick in a draft that has a decent amount of what we want and need.

On the other hand, Sterio, there are very good reasons why Lou Lamoriello is given the leeway and defenses that he has received even with some of his more questionable moves: he took a team that had never made the playoffs and brought them there with a run to a 7 game Conference Final. He took that same team and brought them to the Stanley Cup Finals 5 more times out of 20 years with 3 Stanley Cups won. He has missed the playoffs with this team a grand total of four times in 25 years. He has brought players like Martin Brodeur, Scott Stevens, Patrik Elias, Alexander Mogilny, Ilya Kovalchuk, Scott Niedermayer, and Claude Lemieux to this team whether through the draft or through trades. He is the singular reason why this team is still in New Jersey, because without Lou Lamoriello we don't win the Cup in 1995 and we're likely in Nashville the following season. Without him assembling Cup winning teams in 2000 and 2003 we likely would have moved once YankeeNets fell through. Granted, the team being in New Jersey may not mean very much to you as a Quebecois, but to people in a state that gets roundly mocked for some of the stupidest reasons and has no media center of its own to come to its own defense, this team has given us more to be proud of than anything else I can think of in the last 25 years. All of that pride can be attributed to Lou Lamoriello's work and therefore he gets a pass on lots of errors. Does it suck when he makes them? Yes. Does it rock when he makes maneuvers that wind up with us making trips to the Finals to the contrary of every pundit in the sport's predictions? You bet it does.

Nice post. I'm with you.

Lots of people are ready to write Lou and everything he has done for this team off (or at least slag him off) based on one or two decisions they don't agree with (some of which we don't know the full outcome of yet) .

#364 Lateralous

Lateralous

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

Just making my opinion known in that I'm not suggesting that's what we should do either (trade down). I'm just saying that it's a possibility that will happen (which our draft history supports).

Therefore, I thought it would be useful to discuss who we think we should take in that case. 

at 14/15 area I could see us looking at Wennberg, maybe taking Lazar (his draft rankings vary drastically, and sometimes players like that get taken on the high end of their ranking). Rychel is also interesting, but is geneally ranked around 20.  Those are all forwards, which we need now (and drafting for now is not great), but considering last year we took mostly forwards intentionally, maybe they just go BPA at 14/15. Could we see a goalie like Fucale?

Jeez, I hope not.  There's always good goalies available via trade.  Besides, IMO opinion a goalie really needs to become top 15-20 in the world to justify using an early pick on him.  If your goalie isn't one of the top 15 goalies in the league, you're probably looking for another one anyway.  At least with positional players, there are 3-4 spots on each team for each position, so if a guy like Larsson never becoms a true #1, he can still be a valuable contributer for a decade.     

#365 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yeah I agree with that RE: goalies

There's always the talk about whether the devils will go after a brodeur replacement in the draft. It never really seems to happen, but you never know.

#366 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

yet some folks on here would make excuses defending him that it was the right thing to do. thats 100% sure.

I agree it would be crazy to give up this years pick!

#367 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yeah I agree with that RE: goalies

There's always the talk about whether the devils will go after a brodeur replacement in the draft. It never really seems to happen, but you never know.

This may have been mentioned before but Brodeur's eldest son is in the draft... He's still only in high school and a ways away but wouldn't be surprised if the devils didn't throw a pick at him.

Posted Image

#368 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

This may have been mentioned before but Brodeur's eldest son is in the draft... He's still only in high school and a ways away but wouldn't be surprised if the devils didn't throw a pick at him.

I heard he wasn't good enough to get drafted. He'll probably end up in the org somehow if he's even ok though. But there's no way I touch a goalie at #9. How many good goalies were even first rounders at all? Keri Lehtonen and Carey Price I guess but those are all that immediatley come to mind 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#369 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

I heard he wasn't good enough to get drafted. He'll probably end up in the org somehow if he's even ok though. But there's no way I touch a goalie at #9. How many good goalies were even first rounders at all? Keri Lehtonen and Carey Price I guess but those are all that immediatley come to mind 

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya, and Rick DiPietro also come to mind.

Oh, you said good goalies.... I dunno then.

Edited by NewarkDevil5, 28 April 2013 - 04:06 PM.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#370 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

Roberto Luongo, Al Montoya, and Rick DiPietro also come to mind.

Oh, you said good goalies.... I dunno then.

at least Luongo and DiPietro *were* good :P Though the Islanders shoulda taken Heatley. And Fleury's *ok* maybe but they should've taken Staal. Even the great amazing 2003 draft only had Fleury in the first round. 

edit: Schneider was also a first rounder though not that early (26th overall)

Edited by DH26, 28 April 2013 - 05:46 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#371 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

how in this discussion over good first round goalies was our's not mentioned? pretty sure the best goalie of all time counts as a quality first rounder. With that said, I agree I would be really disappointed with picking a goalie in the first round with how high of a pick we have despite the fact that I think Fucale is a REALLY good goalie. I just think that there are more pressing needs and more talented players that we should target instead, Plus we have Kinkaid who I watched a lot of at Union College and I think has a real chance to be something special here and it wouldn't require us using our second highest pick in 20 years when we have the draft at home.

Has anyone heard about when tickets go on sale for the draft?

#372 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

how in this discussion over good first round goalies was our's not mentioned? pretty sure the best goalie of all time counts as a quality first rounder. With that said, I agree I would be really disappointed with picking a goalie in the first round with how high of a pick we have despite the fact that I think Fucale is a REALLY good goalie. I just think that there are more pressing needs and more talented players that we should target instead, Plus we have Kinkaid who I watched a lot of at Union College and I think has a real chance to be something special here and it wouldn't require us using our second highest pick in 20 years when we have the draft at home.

Has anyone heard about when tickets go on sale for the draft?

Because Brodeur was drafted two decades ago and IMO that qualifies as a different era.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#373 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

Drafting a goalie now = drafting a replacement for the guy who replaces Marty. That kid won't be ready for the NHL until 2016.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#374 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

kinkaid will replace brodeur, no question in my mind. it will only get weird when wedgewood is so good we have to share the load and have a dual system for the first time in ages.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#375 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Is there a spot where you can get a brief synopsis of most of the kids in the upcoming draft?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#376 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

I wouldn't mind a trade down with Columbus if they were interested.  Our 2nd + our 1st for 2 of their 1sts + a 3rd, something like that.  

I don't think trading down or trading up are sure things to be bad and good respectively - yeah, trading down hasn't always worked out for NJ, but that's usually because they are taking guys who are a bit unusual.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#377 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,538 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

I wouldn't mind a trade down with Columbus if they were interested.  Our 2nd + our 1st for 2 of their 1sts + a 3rd, something like that.  

I don't think trading down or trading up are sure things to be bad and good respectively - yeah, trading down hasn't always worked out for NJ, but that's usually because they are taking guys who are a bit unusual.

Not to mention that the first round trade downs that they have done are usually for something like a third round pick, or going up a few spots in the second round.  The bust rate for first round picks is high enough.  When you get into even the second round, just getting a player that can be an every day NHL player is seen as a win.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#378 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Is there a spot where you can get a brief synopsis of most of the kids in the upcoming draft?

http://www.mynhldraf...NHL-Mock-Draft/

while their picks might not be so great, they have decent info on each guy and videos when applicable.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#379 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I set up a Mock Draft Watch forum for leading up to the Draft, some of them on there are old but i'm sure there will be more recent mocks aftet the lottery:

http://njmockdraft.wordpress.com/
25smul5.png

#380 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

I'm not usually a big NHL draft guy but the fact this year is in Newark it may be an interesting experience.

I know ticket prices and details haven't been announced yet.  Has anyone been to another NHL draft?  How much do tickets usually run?  Are all the concessions open?  What's the atmosphere like?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users