1269 replies to this topic

#481 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Daniel pretty much sums it up, and he's been on both sides of this debate.  Yeah, there's no one to replace Elias.  What kind of a system would just have another Elias waiting?   If Loktionov is as good as I think he might be, you've got a good center base.  

And what's even bigger than prospect development is how you treat them at the NHL level - Montreal's been fantastic at drafting over the last 6 or 7 years but have given away so much talent.  The Devils don't typically give away talent and hopefully that continues to be the case.

HF is a joke, Daniel.  They said 'Jack Campbell's season in the AHL really shows he's a good prospect' - wow a .905 save percentage.  Absolutely nothing besides his draft pedigree indicates he's a good prospect.  And they do this all the time - they rate on skill sets, they don't understand aging curves, they don't understand what scoring in one league means in relation to scoring in another, etc.

Edited by Triumph, 30 May 2013 - 10:55 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#482 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:11 AM

Sterio- disregard prospect pools for a second and look what NJ has

C-

Zajac (27): Very good two way center who should be good for 50 pts while taking on the oppositions best

Loktionov (23): Extremely talented, shifty playmaker with good hands and a sneaky shot. He can eat up soft minutes with Kovy

Josefson (22): Another two way center who can also take on toughs

On D you have Larsson, Merrill, Severson, Gelinas, Urbom, Scarlett who are all under 22 and except for Scarlett are all over 6 '2. That's gonna be a big and mobile defense in the future.

Wingers are dicey but Matteau, Pietila and Boucher look to all have a chance to stick in the league. Adding Shinkaruk and Hartman (or something like that) would do wonders.

Goaltending doesn't matter as much. Maybe Wedgewood or Kinky will pan out, but you can always sign a guy like Fasth out of Europe. With a strong D that we seem to have, the position isn't that important.

If you look at all that and add Henrique and Fayne into the mix, NJ has a lot of good young talent. Probably the best since I've been a die hard (1999)

#483 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

HF is a joke, Daniel.  They said 'Jack Campbell's season in the AHL really shows he's a good prospect' - wow a .905 save percentage.  Absolutely nothing besides his draft pedigree indicates he's a good prospect.  And they do this all the time - they rate on skill sets, they don't understand aging curves, they don't understand what scoring in one league means in relation to scoring in another, etc.

I don't know the extent to which the same principle applies to goalies, but my understanding is that stats at the AHL level are not a great indicator of NHL potential.  Parise in his AHL year didn't light it up offensively. 

With Campbell specifically, I obviously have not seen him play, so I can't speak to any skil set, or whether there's more to his game than his save percentage suggests (and as we all know, I'm not in love with save percentage anyway).  If you look at his individual analysis, they project him to be an 8, which HF defines as a number 1 goalie. There are 30 of them in any given year, so if anything, you should fault HF for being vague about things.  You also can't throw out draft pedigree so quickly. 

Otherwise, HF seems to be getting better with their individual player assessments in that they're a bit more realistic these days.  Really, they're the only game in town when it comes to significant analysis (accurate or otherwise) of prospects.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#484 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

C-

Zajac (27): Very good two way center who should be good for 50 pts while taking on the oppositions best

Loktionov (23): Extremely talented, shifty playmaker with good hands and a sneaky shot. He can eat up soft minutes with Kovy

On D you have Larsson, Merrill, Severson, Gelinas, Urbom, Scarlett who are all under 22 and except for Scarlett are all over 6 '2. That's gonna be a big and mobile defense in the future.

Wingers are dicey but Matteau, Pietila and Boucher look to all have a chance to stick in the league. Adding Shinkaruk and Hartman (or something like that) would do wonders.

Goaltending doesn't matter as much. Maybe Wedgewood or Kinky will pan out, but you can always sign a guy like Fasth out of Europe. With a strong D that we seem to have, the position isn't that important.

If you look at all that and add Henrique and Fayne into the mix, NJ has a lot of good young talent. Probably the best since I've been a die hard (1999)

On D, you can't really count on anyone other than Larsson and Merrill to be above-average NHL defensemen any time soon, or more precisely better in the long term than any of the other defensemen that are currently on the roster.  In other words, if you consider Andy Greene to be currently the best defenseman on the roster, only Larsson and Merrill have a decent to good shot at being better than him in the medium to long term.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other guys, especially Severson.  They're just not shoo-in improvements over what is currently there.

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#485 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:52 AM

C-

Well first of all, i didnt said or referred that our prospect pools was ranked low on HF or wtv. What i meant is that we don't have top end talent players coming our way like most teams around us or around the league. i never mentionned HF or anything thats Tri jumping to that conclusion. Can we really argue that we have a good prospects pool coming our way compared to a bunch of teams ? or even considering the guys who joined their NHL in the last 2 years

and for our centers... Zajac would be a good 2nd line player. We all know he's not THAT good, he needs good winger to produce he's not a Toews, Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Giroux, Tavares, Thornton, Bergeron, Kopitar etc etc (not gonna name too many cause obviously Triumph will JUMP on one particular one that i named and write a 3 feet long post throwing off what i said strictly based on that i named that guy ahead of Zajac, throwing shooting % stats at me to try to prove a point and ignore the whole sense of what i said) My whole point is... our top center is not a true top 1 center and the rest is not great compared to other teams.

Loktionov was a guy who couldnt even crack a spot on another team and he's suddenly one of our top guy... he's awesome and i love him. But it speaks volume when you look at it. 

Josefson eventhough he's ahead of his time and playing already in the NHL he's also not great and his ceiling is not great. 

so our center are mostly all... good 2 way players with limited ceilings. and our depth on the wings is not great in term of goal scoring either. You need goals to win.

theres so many other better centers (based on their probable ceiling) that are better than all of our centers too and youngster.

and i mean... im not saying this to bash our team but im not gonna sit here and pretend our depth on C is unreal. look around the league and you'll see that its not.

www.SterioDesign.com

#486 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

I don't know the extent to which the same principle applies to goalies, but my understanding is that stats at the AHL level are not a great indicator of NHL potential.  Parise in his AHL year didn't light it up offensively. 

With Campbell specifically, I obviously have not seen him play, so I can't speak to any skil set, or whether there's more to his game than his save percentage suggests (and as we all know, I'm not in love with save percentage anyway).  If you look at his individual analysis, they project him to be an 8, which HF defines as a number 1 goalie. There are 30 of them in any given year, so if anything, you should fault HF for being vague about things.  You also can't throw out draft pedigree so quickly. 

Otherwise, HF seems to be getting better with their individual player assessments in that they're a bit more realistic these days.  Really, they're the only game in town when it comes to significant analysis (accurate or otherwise) of prospects.

Stats at the AHL level are a great indicator of NHL potential.  Find me one other Parise.  I know if this goes on long enough I'll hear about how Brodeur had garbage stats in his one AHL season too (never mind that it was an expansion year and everything was screwy in 92-93).  AHL save percentage tends to correlate with NHL save percentage, AHL points tend to reflect NHL points.  Some players get much better at the NHL level.

I throw out draft pedigree all the time.  It means someone thought you were the best player available at that spot in a given year.  Things change.  Some players get much better, some hardly get better at all.  Especially with goaltending where the history of 1st round goaltenders is checkered at best - it's basically flipping coins.  Where a player was drafted means less the farther we get away from the draft.

HF's best interest is promoting everyone's players as the second coming, thus driving hits.  It's to play up how much we know about prospects versus how much we don't (and can't) know.  

#487 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well first of all, i didnt said or referred that our prospect pools was ranked low on HF or wtv. What i meant is that we don't have top end talent players coming our way like most teams around us or around the league. i never mentionned HF or anything thats Tri jumping to that conclusion. Can we really argue that we have a good prospects pool coming our way compared to a bunch of teams ? or even considering the guys who joined their NHL in the last 2 years

and for our centers... Zajac would be a good 2nd line player. We all know he's not THAT good, he needs good winger to produce he's not a Toews, Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Datsyuk, Stamkos, Getzlaf, Giroux, Tavares, Thornton, Bergeron, Kopitar etc etc (not gonna name too many cause obviously Triumph will JUMP on one particular one that i named and write a 3 feet long post throwing off what i said strictly based on that i named that guy ahead of Zajac, throwing shooting % stats at me to try to prove a point and ignore the whole sense of what i said) My whole point is... our top center is not a true top 1 center and the rest is not great compared to other teams.

Loktionov was a guy who couldnt even crack a spot on another team and he's suddenly one of our top guy... he's awesome and i love him. But it speaks volume when you look at it. 

Josefson eventhough he's ahead of his time and playing already in the NHL he's also not great and his ceiling is not great. 

so our center are mostly all... good 2 way players with limited ceilings. and our depth on the wings is not great in term of goal scoring either. You need goals to win.

theres so many other better centers (based on their probable ceiling) that are better than all of our centers too and youngster.

and i mean... im not saying this to bash our team but im not gonna sit here and pretend our depth on C is unreal. look around the league and you'll see that its not.

Depth and top end talent are not the same. If you want to argue we lack high end forwards, we are missing one or two and everyone can see that, but to say we're not a deep team or don't have depth at center is just not true. We have Zajac, Henrique, Loki, Elias, all who can play at center in the top 6, after that, there's Gio, Carter, Zubes has played center, Clarky has, I'm not seeing a lack of depth there. We 4 guys who have played A LOT of center and then a few more who have still played a significant amount at that position.

Our wingers are another story after Kovy, Zubes, Clarky, there's not much for scoring wingers, if you can even count Clarky in there, he's still better suited as a 3rd line+PP time guy. So unless someone gets moved to wing, maybe Henrique will, but even if that happens, we're still 1-2 wingers short

#488 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

Depth and top end talent are not the same. If you want to argue we lack high end forwards, we are missing one or two and everyone can see that, but to say we're not a deep team or don't have depth at center is just not true. We have Zajac, Henrique, Loki, Elias, all who can play at center in the top 6, after that, there's Gio, Carter, Zubes has played center, Clarky has, I'm not seeing a lack of depth there. We 4 guys who have played A LOT of center and then a few more who have still played a significant amount at that position.

Our wingers are another story after Kovy, Zubes, Clarky, there's not much for scoring wingers, if you can even count Clarky in there, he's still better suited as a 3rd line+PP time guy. So unless someone gets moved to wing, maybe Henrique will, but even if that happens, we're still 1-2 wingers short

well thats true but thats 2 different thing we have depth "we're solid" as if we don't have holes at center. But its the same thing like having a 2 way player who's gonna put up average numbers but is responsible defensively and he's helping. you can't have a team of just good 2 way players putting average productions. You still need those game breaker kind of guy who can score cause at the end of the day goals will get you wins. and the best players are usually guys who can do it all and be responsible at the same time.

www.SterioDesign.com

#489 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:38 PM

Stats at the AHL level are a great indicator of NHL potential.  Find me one other Parise.  I know if this goes on long enough I'll hear about how Brodeur had garbage stats in his one AHL season too (never mind that it was an expansion year and everything was screwy in 92-93).  AHL save percentage tends to correlate with NHL save percentage, AHL points tend to reflect NHL points.  Some players get much better at the NHL level.

I throw out draft pedigree all the time.  It means someone thought you were the best player available at that spot in a given year.  Things change.  Some players get much better, some hardly get better at all.  Especially with goaltending where the history of 1st round goaltenders is checkered at best - it's basically flipping coins.  Where a player was drafted means less the farther we get away from the draft.

HF's best interest is promoting everyone's players as the second coming, thus driving hits.  It's to play up how much we know about prospects versus how much we don't (and can't) know.  

Off the top of my head, I looked at Jimmy Howard's AHL stats.  His save percentage ranged between .907 and .911 over three years at age 21 to 24. 

Posted Image

#490 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

Off the top of my head, I looked at Jimmy Howard's AHL stats.  His save percentage ranged between .907 and .911 over three years at age 21 to 24. 

Sweet, one counter-example.  The issues with this are legion:

A:  Jimmy Howard's first season in the AHL was 2005-06, the season of the Endless Power Play, and save percentages were down across professional North American leagues that year.

B:  Nowhere did I say that players will have great save percentages in the AHL - these are rare, and the AHL tends to have lower save percentages in general.

C:  Save percentage has a ton of year to year variance.  It's not hard for luck to change a .910 true talent goalie (if even such a thing exists) into a .920 or .900 goalie.  The difference between these two is very large - 24 goals over 1200 shots.  

D:  Players sometimes improve substantially at the NHL level, but this can't be counted on.  It's not predictable.  Could Jack Campbell substantially improve at the NHL level?  Yes.  But that shouldn't be counted on.  Since being drafted, Jack Campbell hasn't put up a league average save percentage at any level.  It's just difficult to argue that that will lead to his being an NHL starter.

#491 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

I guess my question is what are these top end talents that all the other teams have? It was already mentioned, but depth and prospects are different. I think you really overvalue other teams' prospects. The Devils are solid (though not spectacular) up the middle, a little weak on the wing, should be very solid of defense in a few years, and they will need help from outside the organization for goaltending. As for scoring wings, it's clearly the agenda for the draft this year.

Additionally, you tend to say Zajac is a number 2 center. But of the 12 players you list, 7 were picked in the top 3 of the draft. These players don't just appear. I'm not sure what exactly it is that you're looking for. You're pointing out that Zajac isn't a generational talent, which we all know, but having Zajac, Loktionov, Josefsen and Carter (and the possibility of Henrique if they go that route with him) up the middle really isn't bad depth. Sure there's teams with 2 big centers, but their depth tends to drop off a cliff after that. Again, I think you are overvaluing what other teams have and not looking at how they acquired these 'game breakers' that you want.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#492 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

A:  Jimmy Howard's first season in the AHL was 2005-06, the season of the Endless Power Play, and save percentages were down across professional North American leagues that year.

B:  Nowhere did I say that players will have great save percentages in the AHL - these are rare, and the AHL tends to have lower save percentages in general.

C:  Save percentage has a ton of year to year variance.  It's not hard for luck to change a .910 true talent goalie (if even such a thing exists) into a .920 or .900 goalie.  The difference between these two is very large - 24 goals over 1200 shots.  

D:  Players sometimes improve substantially at the NHL level, but this can't be counted on.  It's not predictable.  Could Jack Campbell substantially improve at the NHL level?  Yes.  But that shouldn't be counted on.  Since being drafted, Jack Campbell hasn't put up a league average save percentage at any level.  It's just difficult to argue that that will lead to his being an NHL starter.

So what you're suggesting is that due to the volatility of goaltender's stats, especially save %, it's best to look compare their ranking with respect to the other goalies in said league, rather than at the raw numbers? i.e. goalie puts up a .905, but ignore that and look to see how many other goalies had better or worse save % compared to that particular player and whether he is better or worse than the league average save % for that season?

#493 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Like I said, it was off the top of my head.  If I looked around more, I'm sure there are other good NHL goalies that put up mediocre save percentages in the AHL, or more precisely, something in the range of .905.  The point is Jimmy Howard's AHL save percentage as an older player is not significantly better than Jack Campbell. 

I mean if you want to use HF's assessment and ranking of Jack Campbell as some kind of whipping post for HF's usefulness or lack thereof, more power to you.  But it is kind of strange to fly off the handle about a site that predicts a highly drafted 20-21 year old AHL goalie with a winning record, a 2.65 GAA and .905 save percentage to be a starting goalie in the NHL.   

Posted Image

#494 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

Like I said, it was off the top of my head.  If I looked around more, I'm sure there are other good NHL goalies that put up mediocre save percentages in the AHL, or more precisely, something in the range of .905.  The point is Jimmy Howard's AHL save percentage as an older player is not significantly better than Jack Campbell. 

I mean if you want to use HF's assessment and ranking of Jack Campbell as some kind of whipping post for HF's usefulness or lack thereof, more power to you.  But it is kind of strange to fly off the handle about a site that predicts a highly drafted 20-21 year old AHL goalie with a winning record, a 2.65 GAA and .905 save percentage to be a starting goalie in the NHL.   

Because he has two other years of subpar goaltending in the OHL also?  Let's just data snoop one year, forgetting about the other two years.  And they don't take this into account at all.  To me, his draft position has almost no relevance when you consider how many goalies in the NHL were 1st round picks.  (Not all that many - Price, Fleury, Rask, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Brodeur, Luongo/Schneider, Ward)

Corey Pronman is about the only person worth a damn when it comes to prospects - he understands that forwards are easier to evaluate than D, and therefore better to draft early, and goalies are just about impossible to evaluate at all.  I could pick out lots of other flaws with the site, but their opinion on goalies is the easiest.  They also weight where a player was picked more than they should.

Edited by Triumph, 30 May 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#495 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Because he has two other years of subpar goaltending in the OHL also?  Let's just data snoop one year, forgetting about the other two years.  And they don't take this into account at all.  To me, his draft position has almost no relevance when you consider how many goalies in the NHL were 1st round picks.  (Not all that many - Price, Fleury, Rask, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Brodeur, Luongo/Schneider, Ward)

Corey Pronman is about the only person worth a damn when it comes to prospects - he understands that forwards are easier to evaluate than D, and therefore better to draft early, and goalies are just about impossible to evaluate at all.  I could pick out lots of other flaws with the site, but their opinion on goalies is the easiest.  They also weight where a player was picked more than they should.

That's about 1/3 of all starting goalies, which isn't that bad. 

They're also getting better so far as relying on draft position.  Take a look at a lot of the first round picks from last year's draft and they're not rated so high relative to other lower drafted players. 

Really though, I don't take HF as gospel, and never have.  It's a nice convenient way for someone that doesn't watch a ton of non-NHL hockey to get a sense of who the good prospects are.  If they over rate or under rate this or that player, which every single analyst does it's not a big deal. 

Posted Image

#496 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Future Considerations Final Top 30

1). D Seth Jones, Portland, WHL, 6-4, 205
2). C/RW Nathan MacKinnon, Halifax, QMJHL, 6-0, 180
3). C/LW Jonathan Drouin, Halifax, QMJHL, 5-11, 175
4). C Aleksander Barkov, Tappara, SM-liiga, 6-2, 205
5). RW Valeri Nichushkin, Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL, 6-3, 195
6). C Elias Lindholm, Brynas, Elitserien, 6-0, 185
7). D Darnell Nurse, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL, 6-5, 195
8). C Sean Monahan, Ottawa, OHL, 6-2, 195
9). LW Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat, WHL, 5-10, 170
10). C/LW Max Domi, London, OHL, 5-10, 195

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#497 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

On D, you can't really count on anyone other than Larsson and Merrill to be above-average NHL defensemen any time soon, or more precisely better in the long term than any of the other defensemen that are currently on the roster.  In other words, if you consider Andy Greene to be currently the best defenseman on the roster, only Larsson and Merrill have a decent to good shot at being better than him in the medium to long term.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other guys, especially Severson.  They're just not shoo-in improvements over what is currently there.

I guess I'm higher on Severson than most, but I could see him being better than Merrill. We don't need everyone to be all around dmen. Gelinas is very skilled offensively, Urbom looks like he could be a mainstay on the PK if he sorts some things out. A scout on HF says Scarlett "easily" has NHL potential, so you can't discount him. NJ should have a good, young and CHEAP defense the next ten years. 

#498 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

I guess I'm higher on Severson than most, but I could see him being better than Merrill. We don't need everyone to be all around dmen. Gelinas is very skilled offensively, Urbom looks like he could be a mainstay on the PK if he sorts some things out. A scout on HF says Scarlett "easily" has NHL potential, so you can't discount him. NJ should have a good, young and CHEAP defense the next ten years. 

Very much agree with this. One more year in the WHL and he'll be in the AHL and be easy to compare with Merrill. As of right now, I'd rate him higher anyway.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#499 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:28 AM

Very much agree with this. One more year in the WHL and he'll be in the AHL and be easy to compare with Merrill. As of right now, I'd rate him higher anyway.

With the season he put up, it gets me very excited about our defense in the years to come. I just want to see some of these guys get a real shot at sticking with the big club instead of a couple games here and there.

#500 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

With the season he put up, it gets me very excited about our defense in the years to come. I just want to see some of these guys get a real shot at sticking with the big club instead of a couple games here and there.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Severson.  Coming from someone who admittedly doesn't watch any junior hockey and is not a scout, there are at least superficial comparisons to Shea Weber.  Same junior team, both second round picks, similar physical build, same type of skill set, and Severson put up better traditional numbers (points, plus/minus) than Weber at the same stage.    Plus Severson is still only 18. 

Still, Severson was a late second round pick in a mediocre draft, and didn't slip for extracurricular activities like Merrill.  I understand that draft position isn't the end all, be all, but obviously people who know a lot more about the sport than I do felt that there were 60 players that were better than him. 

Basically, unless you're talking about someone with top ten pick skills, you can't count on them to be anything more than a servicable to good NHLer, and certainly not a savior. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users