1269 replies to this topic

#581 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I also have to add my 2 cents on the food debate. EAH is eh to me, it's a bar with stuff, the fact that they have PBR on tap makes me want to vomit, but that's not really the point. Dino BBQ in Newark isn't their other locations, but they're still relatively new. That being said, the food is very good and I don't know how anyone could describe it as bland. Their sauces, I will agree, aren't the greatest I've ever had, but I'm not a big condiment guy. I'd rather enjoy the actual taste of the food as opposed to some sh!t I slather on top to mask what the chef just took hours, upon hours to create, but that's just me. I'm fine when the sauce is used in the cooking process, but I don't add more.

I'm seriously baffled that Devsman doesn't like Dino BBQ, I didn't think it was possible that anyone would dislike that place! lol.

#582 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

I also have to add my 2 cents on the food debate. EAH is eh to me, it's a bar with stuff, the fact that they have PBR on tap makes me want to vomit, but that's not really the point. Dino BBQ in Newark isn't their other locations, but they're still relatively new. That being said, the food is very good and I don't know how anyone could describe it as bland. Their sauces, I will agree, aren't the greatest I've ever had, but I'm not a big condiment guy. I'd rather enjoy the actual taste of the food as opposed to some sh!t I slather on top to mask what the chef just took hours, upon hours to create, but that's just me. I'm fine when the sauce is used in the cooking process, but I don't add more.

I'm seriously baffled that Devsman doesn't like Dino BBQ, I didn't think it was possible that anyone would dislike that place! lol.

I love BBQ, but I was not expecting the ribs at Dino to be as dry and tough as the spare ribs at any Chinese food joint.  I literally had to slather them in their sauces to make them at least somewhat moist and even then like I said their sauces are bland and nothing special (I tried every one they had at the table so I did not miss anything).  The first couple ribs I had were without me adding sauce and in terms of taste there is not much there I could say because I could barely taste anything.

The sides I had were the mac & cheese and the beans.  The mac & cheese were the least flavorful mac & cheese I have ever had while the beans were pretty good.  Maybe it is because I've had some awesome BBQ food down in NC and TX that I was slightly disappointed, but to me between EAH and Dino I would take EAH.

EAH has standard bar grub, but they do it well.  Their pizzas are quite good and never had issues with their burgers or other meals.  Plus their craft beer selection on tap is better than Dino's IMO so they get props there as a beer snob.

#583 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

I love BBQ, but I was not expecting the ribs at Dino to be as dry and tough as the spare ribs at any Chinese food joint.  I literally had to slather them in their sauces to make them at least somewhat moist and even then like I said their sauces are bland and nothing special (I tried every one they had at the table so I did not miss anything).  The first couple ribs I had were without me adding sauce and in terms of taste there is not much there I could say because I could barely taste anything.

The sides I had were the mac & cheese and the beans.  The mac & cheese were the least flavorful mac & cheese I have ever had while the beans were pretty good.  Maybe it is because I've had some awesome BBQ food down in NC and TX that I was slightly disappointed, but to me between EAH and Dino I would take EAH.

EAH has standard bar grub, but they do it well.  Their pizzas are quite good and never had issues with their burgers or other meals.  Plus their craft beer selection on tap is better than Dino's IMO so they get props there as a beer snob.

Now you're insulting my 2nd favorite Chinese food dish!! How dare you! You better not say one damn word about pan fried dumprings, lol.

I also haven't had the ribs there, but I've eaten the brisket, pulled pork, they had a smoked sausage that I thought was good. Maybe I'll have to convince someone else to go with me and order them and get their opinion on it.

Let me ask you this though: When did you go? Because I've been there on game days and non game days. I felt like it was a better all around experience when it's not packed in there right before game time. They're less rushed and everything is made better for it.

#584 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

Now you're insulting my 2nd favorite Chinese food dish!! How dare you! You better not say one damn word about pan fried dumprings, lol.

I also haven't had the ribs there, but I've eaten the brisket, pulled pork, they had a smoked sausage that I thought was good. Maybe I'll have to convince someone else to go with me and order them and get their opinion on it.

Let me ask you this though: When did you go? Because I've been there on game days and non game days. I felt like it was a better all around experience when it's not packed in there right before game time. They're less rushed and everything is made better for it.

I went on a game day but was there at 4PM. My buddy and I were seated right away and by the time we left an hour later did it start to get a little busier.

My buddy had the pulled pork sandwich and he said it was good, but was not blown away by it.

#585 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

i had wanted to check out dino bbq, tried a couple times after games but by the time i got over there the line was already out the door.. maybe this season.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#586 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

I went on a game day but was there at 4PM. My buddy and I were seated right away and by the time we left an hour later did it start to get a little busier.

My buddy had the pulled pork sandwich and he said it was good, but was not blown away by it.

If you go on game day, 4-4:30 is basically your cutoff for having a relaxing meal instead of a meal where it takes 10 mins to find your waiter and who knows how long to get more beer.

Edited by ATLL765, 07 June 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#587 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Haha. I didn't mean for this to turn into a full on food debate in a draft thread. Just a question of where NJdevs posters would like to meet up pre-draft. Maybe we should just do EAH. Although it's gonna be filled with people over at HF..who cares. Were all Devils fans at the end of the day right? Plus Sirius/XM are going to be broadcasting from there. Maybe we can hear some early rumors. Haha

n2eg.jpg

#588 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,492 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

Copper and Blue is doing a great series on draft comparables for the top picks:

- Lindholm

- Monahan

- Nichushkin

(also what happened to the links on the new board)

Edited by DevilMinder, 07 June 2013 - 08:25 PM.
hi

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#589 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about Dino. Love that place.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#590 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:48 PM

http://www.coppernbl...aft-comparables - Lindholm

http://www.coppernbl...aft-comparables - Monahan

http://www.coppernbl...kin-comparables - Nichushkin

Thanks for sharing that, interesting read.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#591 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

yea thats a good read.  they were hating on Nichushkin a bit there but they really didn't have much to work with as far as other comparables go.  

At the end he states, "I understand that Valeri Nichushkin is a fine prospect, but I also think that a lot of his superior draft ranking is based on his projectible skills.."

but i realize that he actually DOES have those skills... and they're elite

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#592 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,470 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

Good stuff.  Definitely gives me a broader view on Nichushkin and Lindholm.  

I also liked his reasoning on why he believes MacKinnon will have a better career than Drouin.  I felt Couturier ran into the same issue of "no growth" that MacKinnon got a bit this year but since they were both already elite level it wasn't really a fair complaint.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#593 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,962 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

All speculation, but was listening to an interview with the head of hockeyprospect.com, and they seem to think it be wise for the Devils to trade down (gather some more picks and draft goalie Zach Fucale). The guy wasn't all that enamoured with taking a goalie in the 1st round, but was probably thinking with Brodeur retiring soon and the Devils lacking picks in the draft, it wasn't the worst thing to do. 

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#594 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:53 PM

Lindholm's report sounded the most promising. I doubt we would get him, but he seems like he would be such a good Devil. I was actually higher on Monahan until reading his article. The comparable players section didnt look to promising.

#595 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't see anything different? Did something change

#596 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,492 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

All speculation, but was listening to an interview with the head of hockeyprospect.com, and they seem to think it be wise for the Devils to trade down (gather some more picks and draft goalie Zach Fucale). The guy wasn't all that enamoured with taking a goalie in the 1st round, but was probably thinking with Brodeur retiring soon and the Devils lacking picks in the draft, it wasn't the worst thing to do. 

Oh god that'd be awful.  Trade down fine, take a goalie late, fine, but not in the 1st round.

I don't see anything different? Did something change

I wasn't able to change them to text links - normally i'd just have them be text saying Nichushkin, Lindholm, etc.

Edited by Triumph, 07 June 2013 - 08:09 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#597 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Really excited for the draft, this year's draft is so loaded with talent I can't wait to see who we pick. I actually made a new wallpaper for my iPhone 4 with the Draft Logo on it, lol

30cxif5.jpg
25smul5.png

#598 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

Oh god that'd be awful.  Trade down fine, take a goalie late, fine, but not in the 1st round.

I wasn't able to change them to text links - normally i'd just have them be text saying Nichushkin, Lindholm, etc.

if you want a waste of a pick, draft a goalie lol. Hellloooo Al Montoya, MA Fleury in the best draft ever and apparently Jack Campbell among many many others. You can go find joe blow in Europe for nothing who's probably better 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#599 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,699 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

if you want a waste of a pick, draft a goalie lol. Hellloooo Al Montoya, MA Fleury in the best draft ever and apparently Jack Campbell among many many others. You can go find joe blow in Europe for nothing who's probably better

Seriously. Our system insulates goalies too. I have no problem plucking the best goalie from Europe like Fasth or Bob

#600 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just to be the contrarian here, you could end up with Tukka Rask, Marty Brodeur, Cam Ward or Carey Price if you take a goalie in the first round. You could draft a forward in the first round that turns into Pavel Brendl, Jamie Lundmark, Patrik Stefan when guys like Pavel Datsyuk, Ryan Callahan or Brett Hull are just waiting there in the later rounds. You could easily go to Europe and nab a defenseman like Brian Rafalski, or sign Andy Greene as an undrafted free agent instead of wasting a first round pick on Cam Barker.

Just to be clear, I would have a Jets fan draft day reaction if the Devils took a goalie with the ninth pick. Things just aren't as simple as "never draft a goalie in the first round".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Daniel, 08 June 2013 - 10:39 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users