1269 replies to this topic

#681 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

Just throwing this out there, if it gets to 9 and all 8 of the forwards that we've been talking about are gone, i'd be perfectly fine with the team going D and taking Darnell Nurse. Glut on the blue line or not, this guy is being compared to to Chris Pronger and Shea Weber, seems like a great Plan B to me.
25smul5.png

#682 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

Just throwing this out there, if it gets to 9 and all 8 of the forwards that we've been talking about are gone, i'd be perfectly fine with the team going D and taking Darnell Nurse. Glut on the blue line or not, this guy is being compared to to Chris Pronger and Shea Weber, seems like a great Plan B to me.

i'd rather not, i know championships are won with strong D but we are already all waiting for Larsson to become near what he's projected to be as Dmen develop slower usually... and i don't feel like waiting for 2017 to finally have our latest 2 top 10 picks really contributing to the team.

especially looking at a bunch of good Ds around the league a LOT of them were picked in later rounds or even undrafted. You can get lucky with dman (just as much as forwards obviously) but with a top pick i'd rather get a guy with a special offensive talent to produce cause you can have the best Dman in the world some goals will still go in somehow here and here or while he's on the bench plus as we saw you can have a great d corps playing a good system by commitee. You can lose a game 1-0 eventhough your best dman played the game of his life. at the end of the day you can lose games now without allowing a single goal (shootouts) but you absolutely need goals to win.

www.SterioDesign.com

#683 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

Are you guys serious that there are no tickets to the public for the draft????

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#684 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

If you entered the raffle, the last date when you could possibly be notified that you've won tickets is tomorrow.

So if it's one of those deals where everyone who entered wins one (which I'm hoping for) they'll probably send out a mass email tomorrow.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 20 June 2013 - 07:38 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#685 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

If you entered the raffle, the last date when you could possibly be notified that you've won tickets is tomorrow.

So if it's one of those deals where everyone who entered wins one (which I'm hoping for) they'll probably send out a mass email tomorrow.

I doubt that everyone who entered won as from what I hear there are only about 500 tickets available to the public and they will be raffled off in pairs.  So 250 winners out of thousands who entered.

#686 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

See I was under the impression there might only be a couple hundred requests.

But I suppose there would be more than the greater NY area market trying to get these tickets, makes sense.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#687 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

See I was under the impression there might only be a couple hundred requests.

But I suppose there would be more than the greater NY area market trying to get these tickets, makes sense.

I can imagine more than 250 requests for these tickets given than this raffle was advertised on their front page, Facebook and Twitter and I believe on NHL.com as well.

#688 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

I get that because the draft is all on one day this year, they probably had to reserve way more seats for potential draft picks and their families, but I still don't get how there isn't more tickets available to the public? Is it because every season ticket holder got a free pair?

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#689 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

i'd rather not, i know championships are won with strong D but we are already all waiting for Larsson to become near what he's projected to be as Dmen develop slower usually... and i don't feel like waiting for 2017 to finally have our latest 2 top 10 picks really contributing to the team.

especially looking at a bunch of good Ds around the league a LOT of them were picked in later rounds or even undrafted. You can get lucky with dman (just as much as forwards obviously) but with a top pick i'd rather get a guy with a special offensive talent to produce cause you can have the best Dman in the world some goals will still go in somehow here and here or while he's on the bench plus as we saw you can have a great d corps playing a good system by commitee. You can lose a game 1-0 eventhough your best dman played the game of his life. at the end of the day you can lose games now without allowing a single goal (shootouts) but you absolutely need goals to win.

We know defense is better than offense - if a team scored 0 goals and didn't allow any goals, and won half its shootouts, it'd be the best team in hockey.  This would not be true of a team that scored 300 goals and gave up 300.  But what we don't know is that Darnell Nurse is like Chris Pronger or Shea Weber, which is basically the comparison given for any D who's physical and about to be taken near the top of the draft - Nurse's offense is the big question mark.  Scott Reynolds' comparables - players who were drafted this high with this sort of pedigree - don't give a lot of optimism for him becoming a real game-changer.  It's a safe pick - most of the guys on his comp list had long NHL careers - but I'd rather trade down and go for one of the lower ranked forwards.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#690 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

Got a call from a rep and he said 6500 entered. Not liking my odds

#691 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Got a call from a rep and he said 6500 entered. Not liking my odds

6500 entered for 250 possible tickets? 

Well, better odds than winning the actual lottery I guess.

Wonder if some will show up on stubhub

believe-ll.jpg

#692 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

6500 entered for 250 possible tickets? 

Well, better odds than winning the actual lottery I guess.

Wonder if some will show up on stubhub

Well 250 possible winners, each winning a pair.

That's about a 4% chance of winning.

Good luck!

#693 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,435 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

This "raffle" is a great way to keep the draft a secret and also keep away passionate hockey fans from attending.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#694 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

This "raffle" is a great way to keep the draft a secret and also keep away passionate hockey fans from attending.

So what's the better way that is fair to everyone?  First 500 people in line the day of the event?

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#695 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Well 250 possible winners, each winning a pair.

That's about a 4% chance of winning.

Good luck!

Thanks..I'll need it :lol:

Let's just say I'll be making alternative plans for that day.

So what's the better way that is fair to everyone?  First 500 people in line the day of the event?

I mean..I'd prefer that.  It'd probably give people in NJ a better chance to attend but, I mean, when was the last time a draft was in NJ?  Probably won't be back here for at least another 30 years.  Why shouldn't we in the area get the first shot?

believe-ll.jpg

#696 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,278 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Raffle is probably the most fair way to do it, but they should have made more tickets available to the general public.

And just thinking of a line for these tickets brings up terrible memories of the $10 ticket line.  Thank god they are not doing that for the Draft.

#697 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thanks..I'll need it :lol:

Let's just say I'll be making alternative plans for that day.

I mean..I'd prefer that.  It'd probably give people in NJ a better chance to attend but, I mean, when was the last time a draft was in NJ?  Probably won't be back here for at least another 30 years.  Why shouldn't we in the area get the first shot?

Just my opinion, but I don't think many people are hoping to win the raffle so that they can fly in for the draft.

Raffle is probably the most fair way to do it, but they should have made more tickets available to the general public.

I don't really know how many tickets are available.  Season tickets holders got between 2-4 tickets, regardless of how many actual seats they own.  I imagine that ate up most of the tickets and doesn't seem unfair.  After you've rewarded season ticket holders and give the league their tickets then you have whatever is left and that's a function of size so I don't know how they could make more tickets available than they are.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#698 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,157 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

We know defense is better than offense - if a team scored 0 goals and didn't allow any goals, and won half its shootouts, it'd be the best team in hockey.  This would not be true of a team that scored 300 goals and gave up 300.  But what we don't know is that Darnell Nurse is like Chris Pronger or Shea Weber, which is basically the comparison given for any D who's physical and about to be taken near the top of the draft - Nurse's offense is the big question mark.  Scott Reynolds' comparables - players who were drafted this high with this sort of pedigree - don't give a lot of optimism for him becoming a real game-changer.  It's a safe pick - most of the guys on his comp list had long NHL careers - but I'd rather trade down and go for one of the lower ranked forwards.

That was kinda my point i'd like to have a guy like Nurse but with a 9th pick and with our situation if we go for a D i'd rather get an offensive dman or a GREAT 2 way dmen.

so basically with that 9th pick i'd really want someone who can bring production cause we'll possibly need a sh!tload in the next coming years with some guys leaving/retiring and not a whole lot of guys coming up.

Edited by SterioDesign, 20 June 2013 - 10:20 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#699 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

There was NO need to give every STH bonus tickets. Give them as many as they have for season tickets and that's it. No that it would've been much more but it woulda been something, not this asinine stupidity where we might have to be seat fillers to get in

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#700 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

There was NO need to give every STH bonus tickets. Give them as many as they have for season tickets and that's it. No that it would've been much more but it woulda been something, not this asinine stupidity where we might have to be seat fillers to get in

I don't know that that solves anything.  I think they did it in this fashion to get more tickets into the hands of fans and out of the hands of scalpers.  If they just blankly gave every seat a ticket than ticket brokers who own 10 seats would get 20 draft tickets, now they at most got 4 and there are 6 more regular people that will get to go.

In a normal year the Devils have between 11-13k season ticket seats, if every one of those was given a draft ticket, then then league gets their tickets, how many tickets do you think are leftover?  I still think the number is very small.  In fact, there may not be enough tickets to give every season ticket seat a ticket, I'm not sure what the ratio to accounts versus seats is.

Edited by Devils731, 20 June 2013 - 10:39 AM.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users