1269 replies to this topic

#741 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:08 PM

Well half the arena's gonna be closed off so what do they expect? The raffle is a joke compared to what other leagues do. Just give people a chance to buy them, that'll get the people that actually wanna be there in there and it helps them make more money. You can't please everyone, but give people who really wanna be there but can't afford season tickets a chance to go. A 4% chance isn't much of a chance at all. No other sport does it like this. I can just waltz into the barclay's center and get NBA draft tickets no problem. NFL draft tickets are an effort to get but it can be done. MLB draft tickets anyone can show up. NHL draft you get a 4% raffle chance with anybody who made the excruciating effort to fill out a one page form. Season ticket holders didn't pay for the draft, maybe they could get it as their reward, but the idea that every season ticket holder needs 4 tickets to this is asinine and stupid for the sake of pleasing people for no reason. People who actually wanna pay for it can't. They're literally turning down money. By doing it the way they're doing it, any STH gets them, whether they give a sh!t about Sean Monahan or Nathan MacKinnon or not or even know who they are. Make it so even if you have to pay, it's people who actually care who will be there, not somebody who gets tickets just because they can afford to go during the season to every game. 

If you honestly think a 4% raffle is fair, I don't know what to tell you. I basically have no chance of going just because I can't afford season tickets. How is that fair when the only relation between the two is the same building and STHs didn't pay for draft tickets when I'd be perfectly willing to?

Every acct got 2 guaranteed tickets and that was it. There's people who pool together to get multiple seats and as such, I imagine if you had 4 guys, 4 seats, you were still only guaranteed 2 tickets. That's the way I understood it. Anything above the 2 was provided only under the basis that you had to wait and see how the demand was.

Also, instead of claiming you have no chance of going, just wait. There will be extra tix floating around. I had my Father who is a STH request 4 extras because I know I'll want to go and I figured I'd take as many as I could. I'll probably only use 2-3 of them and I certainly won't care about getting money for the extra I won't use. I cannot imagine I'm the only person in this kind of situation, so I feel like there will be a few tickets to be had once the draft gets closer and people finalize their plans for that day.

#742 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

I think it should have been for every seat you have as a STH, you get a seat for the draft. No extras and no less.

But for the rest the raffle is the most fair way to do it.

Totally agree.. Obviously you have to reward your STH for the 44 game, several thousand dollar commitment they've made to you.. And, you can potentially leverage the event to sell more season tickets.. Devils did a great job delaying the raffle in order try and entice people to buy, and they've sold about 300 season tickets over the past month so it very well may have worked.. 300 season tickets all in the cheapest seats would be like an additional $250,000 guaranteed plus concessions, parking, etc. That's wayyyyy more than they'd get selling $20 seats to this thing even if they could sell out while still charging for it

As for the raffle, that's absolutely the best way to distribute tickets.. First off, everyone entering the raffle has just raised their hand as a fan who will probably buy tickets to games during future seasons.. If you weren't already there, you're now in their CRM database with your info and IP address to identify you.. If you were there (from previous contests or buying tickets) this just highlights you as a better lead for ticket sales.. You're clearly a more passionate fan if you're entering multiple contests.. Now, every time you go to the Devils' website it will recognize you by your IP address (assuming you are on the same device), so they can track how often you visit and what pages to determine how "hot" of a lead you are.. This is the world of marketing automation.. They got more long-term value out of the raffle than if they just sold tix outright to the draft..

Not only that, but if they wanted to, they could choose "winners" who are hotter leads in their CRM.. Why not reward the people on your website the most, entering more contests and buying more tickets.. This data is easily pulled and it wouldn't surprise me if the drawing isn't totally random.. You can bet they aren't drawing from a large hat

Also, given our proximity to other teams, a public sale would most likely have resulted in more Rangers/Islanders/Flyers fans than there will be.. Like I said, they can target the winners to only be people that their database recognizes as buying tickets and visiting the website more frequently, so they could avoid fans of other teams entering the raffle and receiving tickets by just removing "colder" accounts from the drawing

Edited by Colin226, 20 June 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#743 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yeah that's a good point by Colin, the raffle restricts it almost exclusively to Devils fans.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#744 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,490 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Totally agree.. Obviously you have to reward your STH for the 44 game, several thousand dollar commitment they've made to you.. And, you can potentially leverage the event to sell more season tickets from the event.. Devils did a great job delaying the raffle in order try and entice people to buy, and they've sold about 300 season tickets over the past month so it may have worked

As for the raffle, that's absolutely the best way to distribute tickets.. First off, everyone entering the raffle has just raised their hand as a fan who will probably buy tickets to games during future seasons.. If you weren't already there, you're now in their CRM database with your info and IP address to identify you.. If you were there (from previous contests or buying tickets) this just highlights you as a better lead for ticket sales.. You're clearly a more passionate fan if you're entering multiple contests.. Now, every time you go to the Devils' website it will recognize you by your IP address (assuming you are on the same device), so they can track how often you visit and what pages to determine how "hot" of a lead you are.. This is the world of marketing automation.. They got more long-term value out of the raffle than if they just sold tix outright to the draft..

Not only that, but if they wanted to, they could choose "winners" who are hotter leads in their CRM.. Why not reward the people on your website the most, entering more contests and buying more tickets.. This data is easily pulled and it wouldn't surprise me if the drawing isn't totally random.. You can bet they aren't drawing from a large hat

Also, given our proximity to other teams, a public sale would most likely have resulted in more Rangers/Islanders/Flyers fans than there will be.. Like I said, they can target the winners to only be people that their database recognizes as buying tickets and visiting the website more frequently, so they could avoid fans of other teams entering the raffle and receiving tickets by just removing "colder" accounts from the drawing

So basically just go on their website and hit refresh like a madman until tomorrow lol.

My company uses CRM too so this is pretty cool also.  I figure the raffle might be in a sense "weighted" towards those who they view as potential ST buyers in the near future.

#745 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

So basically just go on their website and hit refresh like a madman until tomorrow lol.

My company uses CRM too so this is pretty cool also. I figure the raffle might be in a sense "weighted" towards those who they view as potential ST buyers in the near future.

lol yeah we use Oracle CRM with Eloqua as the marketing engine which is why I'm up on all this.. Devils have something very similar and you can't blame them for using it to their advantage if they do.. Makes perfect business sense

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#746 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Yes I do think I'm entitled to have a more than 4% shot at tickets. If that's enraging, so be it.

You are not entitled to anything.  Neither am I or anyone else that doesn't own the team.  It's completely their choice how to distribute their tickets, and they have chosen to reward the people that pay the most for their product over the course of a season.  Who are you to say that is wrong?

BTW...you have a 100% shot at the tickets.  You said that you wanted an opportunity to purchase them.  Well, the ebay sellers are giving you that opportunity.  Buy them and guarantee yourself a seat.   

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 20 June 2013 - 12:41 PM.

Posted Image

#747 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

C&P'd this post from HF.

I know a lot of fans think we should get Shinkruk at nine but does no one thinks that Nurse is a better all around player then Shinkruk? I know they are different positions and all but I thought Nurse was a highly regarded prospect. If he's available at number nine I'd consider taking him.

It might actually make sense for us to draft him. Yes we don't really need another defenseman but I look at it like this. If Nurse falls to us and we take him because he is clearly the BPA this gives us enough extendable defensive prospects to trade for a top six forward.

Once again Flames fans said Urbom + 2nd would do it for Michael Cammalleri. You'd basically be exchanging Urbom for Nurse and still get the relatively young top six forward we have been looking for. I think we could re-sign most of everyone that is UFA/RFA that we are looking to bring back and still make another signing (Like a Briere on a 1-2 year deal as well.)

We'd be filling up forward needs as well as stocking up on defensive prospects to replenish our blueline for the future.

Cammy-Lokti-Kovy
Elias-Zajac-Briere
Zubrus-Henrique-Clarkson
CBGB
Extras: Yayo, Teddy, Barch

Yes you'd having to move Zubs to the left but look at that lineup. That lineup is deep as hell and is an instant contender and not to mention something I'd imagine that wouldn't too unrealistic as well.

n2eg.jpg

#748 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

You are not entitled to anything.  Neither am I or anyone else that doesn't own the team.  It's completely their choice how to distribute their tickets, and they have chosen to reward the people that pay the most for their product over the course of a season.  Who are you to say that is wrong?

BTW...you have a 100% shot at the tickets.  You said that you wanted an opportunity to purchase them.  Well, the ebay sellers are giving you that opportunity.  Buy them and guarantee yourself a seat.   

There should be a better option than price gougers on ebay who may or may not be legitimate. I'm not just gonna believe their dumb decision was correct just to "reward" season ticket holders who may or may  not actually care abou thte draft

In essence, the team's saying the rest of us don't matter and we don't get the same shot as everyone else to go even though the draft wasn't announced till most people had season tickets already for this year

Edited by DH26, 20 June 2013 - 12:58 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#749 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Colin: Like, I said earlier, I got a call from a ticket salesman and I think he liked a lot of my answers. I've gotten calls in the past, so obviously they "recognize" me. You think this could get me a leg up? My buddy who also entered the raffle didn't get a call

#750 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

C&P'd this post from HF.

I know a lot of fans think we should get Shinkruk at nine but does no one thinks that Nurse is a better all around player then Shinkruk? I know they are different positions and all but I thought Nurse was a highly regarded prospect. If he's available at number nine I'd consider taking him.

It might actually make sense for us to draft him. Yes we don't really need another defenseman but I look at it like this. If Nurse falls to us and we take him because he is clearly the BPA this gives us enough extendable defensive prospects to trade for a top six forward.

Once again Flames fans said Urbom + 2nd would do it for Michael Cammalleri. You'd basically be exchanging Urbom for Nurse and still get the relatively young top six forward we have been looking for. I think we could re-sign most of everyone that is UFA/RFA that we are looking to bring back and still make another signing (Like a Briere on a 1-2 year deal as well.)

We'd be filling up forward needs as well as stocking up on defensive prospects to replenish our blueline for the future.

Cammy-Lokti-Kovy
Elias-Zajac-Briere
Zubrus-Henrique-Clarkson
CBGB

Yes you'd having to move Zubs to the left but look at that lineup. That lineup is deep as hell and is an instant contender and not to mention something I'd imagine that wouldn't too unrealistic as well.

Isn't Cammalleri over 30? Because 30 is where I stop calling them young players. He's also like 5'9".

#751 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Isn't Cammalleri over 30? Because 30 is where I stop calling them young players. He's also like 5'9".

31 but he'd have a solid 4-5 years with us potentially. 3 at the very least. I wouldn't mind that.

n2eg.jpg

#752 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

There should be a better option than price gougers on ebay who may or may not be legitimate. I'm not just gonna believe their dumb decision was correct just to "reward" season ticket holders who may or may  not actually care abou thte draft

In essence, the team's saying the rest of us don't matter and we don't get the same shot as everyone else to go even though the draft wasn't announced till most people had season tickets already for this year

The problem is legitimacy, but by definition, selling on ebay isn't price gouging.  And there is a better option - the raffle, which you might win.

Edited by Triumph, 20 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#753 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Again, how do you come to the assumption that season ticket holders don't actually care about the draft?

The team isn't saying you don't matter. They are saying they are rewarding their ticket holders first (who guaranteed them income last year, this coming year, and on average most likely a few years to come). Also, the draft was announced last June. There was plenty of time for people to get season tickets if the draft was their sole reasoning to. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#754 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

31 but he'd have a solid 4-5 years with us potentially. 3 at the very least. I wouldn't mind that.

Eh, he's ok. I'd take him if he took a big pay cut. I'd be wary of his big cap hit. It's only for one more year, but he's never really been a ppg player despite his couple seasons where he had 80+ points and hasn't played more than 67 games in a season since then(He played 44 this year, but I didn't count that). The best we could hope to get is a 55-65pt player and I don't want to pay a guy like that $7M next year.

#755 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

C&P'd this post from HF.

Cammy-Lokti-Kovy
Elias-Zajac-Briere
Zubrus-Henrique-Clarkson
CBGB

NO!!!! NO NO NO NO......

NO!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!! i said... NO !!!!

he's one of the most selfish and self centered player in the league and he's a cancer in the locker room. We absolutely don't want him trust me

www.SterioDesign.com

#756 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm not sure I'd do a 2nd round pick in this years draft for 1 overpaid year of Camalleri.  I think I would not.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#757 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Cammy-Lokti-Kovy
Elias-Zajac-Briere
Zubrus-Henrique-Clarkson
CBGB

I'm not sure what reality that hf poster is living in, but there's no way the Devils can afford all of the bolded players.  Also, Clarkson's not getting huge money to play the 3rd line.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 20 June 2013 - 02:00 PM.

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#758 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:01 PM

It's HF, what did you expect?

#759 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm not sure what reality that hf poster is living in, but there's no way the Devils can afford all of the bolded players.  Also, Clarkson's not getting huge money to play the 3rd line.

The Devils have $25.5 million in cap space for 8 roster spots.  Divide up how you wish.

Edited by Devils731, 20 June 2013 - 02:04 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#760 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,378 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

I have no problem with the way the Devils are handling the tickets. As DR33 said a few pages back, having all 7 rounds on one day does complicate things a bit. I figure if I win tickets then great, if not I'll just watch it at home with 2 draft guides and the internet at my disposal. Win-Win for me.

Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan, Shinkaruk..

Then Devils at 9.. Who would we pick? :D

I'm really open to moving back in the 1st, especially if that was to happen, and adding another 1st/high 2nd in the process since this is a deep draft. At the same time I am a huge Horvat fan and would have no problem if they took him at 9...though they may be able to move back and get him along with another asset.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users