1269 replies to this topic

#761 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

The Devils have $25.5 million in cap space for 8 roster spots.  Divide up how you wish.

I'd wager to say the Devils are running on an internal budget though.  Just how much of that cap space Vanderbeek will let Lou spend remains to be seen.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#762 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have no problem with the way the Devils are handling the tickets. As DR33 said a few pages back, having all 7 rounds on one day does complicate things a bit. I figure if I win tickets then great, if not I'll just watch it at home with 2 draft guides and the internet at my disposal. Win-Win for me.

I'm really open to moving back in the 1st, especially if that was to happen, and adding another 1st/high 2nd in the process since this is a deep draft. At the same time I am a huge Horvat fan and would have no problem if they took him at 9...though they may be able to move back and get him along with another asset.

I agree, I think an extra pick in the top 50 would be big for us, especially with lacking a 1st rd pick next year.

If we trade down though, who do you think we'd be targeting? You mentioned Horvat, obviously I'd have to think Lazar is on our radar, but is there anyone else you'd think we'd take if we traded down?

#763 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

The Devils have $25.5 million in cap space for 8 roster spots.  Divide up how you wish.

that doesnt mean thats what they can spend.

www.SterioDesign.com

#764 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have no problem with the way the Devils are handling the tickets. As DR33 said a few pages back, having all 7 rounds on one day does complicate things a bit. I figure if I win tickets then great, if not I'll just watch it at home with 2 draft guides and the internet at my disposal. Win-Win for me.

I'm really open to moving back in the 1st, especially if that was to happen, and adding another 1st/high 2nd in the process since this is a deep draft. At the same time I am a huge Horvat fan and would have no problem if they took him at 9...though they may be able to move back and get him along with another asset.

Yea, I agree here. If we lose out on one of the top forwards, then I'm definitely more open to trading back. It seems that at 9 it could literally go a variety of ways as to who we end up having a chance to take.

I also agree about the ticket situation. I think the Devils have done it the right way. Reward their "investors" (STHs) and give the normal Joes a crack at free tickets. Last year, the Pens had 1500 tickets for round 1 (not including STHs) and then 3500 for the next day. The one day draft really hurts getting more people to experience the event. I hope everyone who really wants to go, gets to. But if you don't get to go, don't get bent out of shape! Its interesting and unique, but that buzz can wear off quick and will for more than most.  

#765 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,988 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

And the plot thickens...apparently they're looking for volunteers to help out:

http://devils.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=89849

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#766 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

I'm not sure what reality that hf poster is living in, but there's no way the Devils can afford all of the bolded players.  Also, Clarkson's not getting huge money to play the 3rd line.

Clarkson is not a first or second line player either. If he wants a first liner payday we can let him walk and re-sign D'ags. I like Clarky.. don't get me wrong but not at anything over 4.5 (and I'd hesitate at 4.5)

D'ags to me is a poor mans Clarkson. Stick him on the 3rd line, get Cammy and Briere (who won't be expensive at all and can be had for one year, two years at most) and run. Even without Clarkson you have a lot of depth there.

It's not as much of a pipe dream as you might think, and I actually think it would be a great set of moves if Lou opts to go that way.Now...can the Devils and the Flames make the Urbom & 2 for Cammy? Yeah...probably. And I think the hopes are for Briere signing for much less, being that he'll be a buyout from Philly and no one will want to pay top dollar for him. So in theory, that could work as well.

Really not that unrealistic guys...

Edited by TheMazz, 20 June 2013 - 03:46 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#767 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

And the plot thickens...apparently they're looking for volunteers to help out:

http://devils.nhl.co...ge.htm?id=89849

They're looking for people to work for free. It'd be nice if they mentioned an incentive, b/c what they're looking for is all pre-draft. If it guarantees draft admission, that could be a way for those who are left out to go.

#768 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:44 PM

I agree, I think an extra pick in the top 50 would be big for us, especially with lacking a 1st rd pick next year.

If we trade down though, who do you think we'd be targeting? You mentioned Horvat, obviously I'd have to think Lazar is on our radar, but is there anyone else you'd think we'd take if we traded down?

I'm also a big fan of Lazar. Two way winger who got off to a slow start offensively but is well rounded. If the Devils moved back and had 2 picks in either the mid-1st to early 2nd (before their own 2nd), I'd love to see them get 2 of (in no particular order and just focusing on F for now) Horvat, Domi, Lazar, Wennberg, Zykov, Hartman, Klimchuk, Bjorkstand, Compher, de la Rose.

Erne, Gauthier, and McCarron also intrigue me but from what I've read they seem a lot more boom or bust than some of the other guys I mentioned above. I'll try to get a more informative post on those players and then some of the D that could be available.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#769 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm also a big fan of Lazar. Two way winger who got off to a slow start offensively but is well rounded. If the Devils moved back and had 2 picks in either the mid-1st to early 2nd (before their own 2nd), I'd love to see them get 2 of (in no particular order and just focusing on F for now) Horvat, Domi, Lazar, Wennberg, Zykov, Hartman, Klimchuk, Bjorkstand, Compher, de la Rose.

Erne, Gauthier, and McCarron also intrigue me but from what I've read they seem a lot more boom or bust than some of the other guys I mentioned above. I'll try to get a more informative post on those players and then some of the D that could be available.

I think if he's on the board and we ended up trading back, we could potentially take Fucale. I dont think theres a chance in hell they take him at 9 tho, but say we traded back for a late 20s, early 2nd. I imagine Fucale could be a target.

#770 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

I think if he's on the board and we ended up trading back, we could potentially take Fucale. I dont think theres a chance in hell they take him at 9 tho, but say we traded back for a late 20s, early 2nd. I imagine Fucale could be a target.

I'd be on board for that, he was arguably the best goalie in the Q or even CHL as a 17 year old. I was skeptical at first of how much of his success was from playing with a great team in front of him but the more I saw and read about him, the more I believe he was a huge part of that success. Hockey Prospect raves about him, praising his vision, composure, athleticism, and mental toughness.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#771 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Anyone having a problem printing their draft tickets? My four tickets are in my STH account but it doesn't give me an option to print in the dropdown menu.

n2eg.jpg

#772 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

ops wrong thread

Edited by njdevsftw, 20 June 2013 - 04:10 PM.

Posted Image

#773 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:07 PM

Seeing as the entire draft is one day I have a feeling the first round will go a little faster than normal

#774 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

I'd be on board for that, he was arguably the best goalie in the Q or even CHL as a 17 year old. I was skeptical at first of how much of his success was from playing with a great team in front of him but the more I saw and read about him, the more I believe he was a huge part of that success. Hockey Prospect raves about him, praising his vision, composure, athleticism, and mental toughness.

At first I was completely against trading back, but if the better forwards are gone, Im good with trading back now. I read a mock where someone had us taking Fucale at 9 and I had never heard of him so did some research and in a short period of time I was sold on us taking him, just not that highly. If we could grab him and then if say Lazar or Burakovsky is available, I'd consider our 2 first picks a success. I think Adam Erne could be a potentially good late 1st/early 2nd forward if we have a shot.

I really hope we get Nichushkin tho.  

#775 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,267 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

At first I was completely against trading back, but if the better forwards are gone, Im good with trading back now. I read a mock where someone had us taking Fucale at 9 and I had never heard of him so did some research and in a short period of time I was sold on us taking him, just not that highly. If we could grab him and then if say Lazar or Burakovsky is available, I'd consider our 2 first picks a success. I think Adam Erne could be a potentially good late 1st/early 2nd forward if we have a shot.

I really hope we get Nichushkin tho.  

Burakovsky's tumbling through the rankings this year soured me on him a bit. Hockey Prospect ranked him 46 and Future Considerations 25. Both publications praise his quality offensive game but apparently his defensive game is a wreck and he has consistency/effort concerns. I'd rather pass on him since I think there are other quality forwards who are better bets to make it at the next level.

As I mentioned earlier, Erne is one of those boom or bust prospects to me. He has nice size at 6'1, 196 lbs. and Hockey Prospect described his play as a "fit between a highly talented player and a power forward." Seems to be a quick, agile player who skates really well from what they report. They also say he distributes the puck well and has a great wrist shot. Biggest weakness seems to be his consistency, which isn't surprising since he plays like a power forward, as well as his effort on a game to game basis.

Future Considerations seemed to mirror how Hockey Prospect evaluated him:

SCOUTS QUOTE: “Having watched him with and without Grigorenko, his play without a linemate who thinks the game at an elite level is worrying. His individual ability at times looks like top-10 worthy, but the whole package is lacking that sense or creativity ingredient. Has enough raw skills and grit to carve out a checking line role at the very least.”

#776 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Sakic went a little bit more in detail about his statement

"He’s (Seth Jones) a great player, he’s going to be good," Sakic said over the phone from Denver. "But after we had our internal meetings we came up with these three forwards, (Nathan) McKinnon, (Jonathan) Drouin and (Alexander) Barkov. We’re really leaning towards one of those three forwards.

So to be clear, you'll pick one of those three players, Sakic was asked.

"If we’re picking first overall, yes," he said firmly.

To which some people are responding, "Why tell the world?"

"It was more really for our fans here, to let our fans know what we’re thinking going into the draft,” said Sakic, the Avs' vice president of hockey operations. "That’s really what the purpose was, let them know where we’re leaning. What I said is that we’re picking first overall and this is what we’re doing."

Sakic has been a straight shooter all his life. He’s not the kind of guy to say something and mean the opposite. Still, the impact of his comments could be construed to help the Florida Panthers (No. 2 overall pick) and Tampa Bay Lightning (No. 3) feel more anxious now to perhaps pick up the phone and offer a package to Colorado to move up.

http://kuklaskorner...._medium=twitter

www.SterioDesign.com

#777 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

By STH buddy dropped off a couple of extra tickets for the draft for me yesterday so I am pumped

#778 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Still lookin - anyone out there want to help out.  I know I have glided over tickets for events to people, most notably devils skates over the years.

Thanks!

My name changes every summer
Posted Image

#779 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

Still lookin - anyone out there want to help out.  I know I have glided over tickets for events to people, most notably devils skates over the years.

Thanks!

Did you sign up for the raffle? Its supposedly today. I've not heard any reports of anyone getting em yet.

I've seen tix onsale on both CL and Ebay and the prices are pretty disgusting at the moment. I'd not pay $20 to go to the draft. $10-$15 is what I would value them at.

#780 CMONPETEYD

CMONPETEYD

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Did you sign up for the raffle? Its supposedly today. I've not heard any reports of anyone getting em yet.

I've seen tix onsale on both CL and Ebay and the prices are pretty disgusting at the moment. I'd not pay $20 to go to the draft. $10-$15 is what I would value them at.

Yes - i did sign up. No word yet here.  Yeah, i think 10-15 per would be reasonable.  Also not signing up to volunteer from 10 - 3 either.  Had season tix in family for 25 yrs before this yr.  didn't renew them because of a lot of the BS with the lockout. 

My name changes every summer
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users