1269 replies to this topic

#861 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Anybody know if there will be some way to catch a replay of the 1st round in terms of TV coverage after next Sunday?  I'll be away next Sunday but I probably will want to watch once I get back what took place up to our pick in terms of real-time.

I could be wrong, but I think last year the NHL aired re-runs of the 1st round on the NHL Network. I'll try to see if that is the case this year.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#862 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Hagg and think they'll be better options possibly available in the 2nd even amongst other D (Bowey, Heatherington, Santini). This is what Hockey Prospect and Future Considerations essentially had to say on him:

Hockey Prospect - Ranked 31st
- Good positioning and knowledge in D zone but can get lazy
- Inconsistent
- Doesn't always use his size (6'2, 204 lbs)
- Capable passer but prone to mental lapses resulting in turnovers
- Powerful shot, which is his biggest asset

Future Considerations - Ranked 24th Overall, 8th for Defensemen
- Above average skater, fluid
- Controls puck well and can accept difficult passes
- Good slap shot
- Punishing physical player when he wants to be
- Solid understanding of the game
- Needs to cut down on turnovers
- Lacks consistency and effort

Wait which two prospects are those ratings referring to?

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#863 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

^^ Hagg. Same prospect, different viewpoints. Hockey Prospect and Future Considerations are seperate entities.

Edited by ghdi, 22 June 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#864 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

Wait which two prospects are those ratings referring to?

Sorry for the late response but yeah as ghdi pointed out it was  HP's and FC's take on Hagg. I think some of the defenseman ranked around Hagg's range can offer similar or close upside without a lot of the risk which is why I'd rather pass on Hagg if they had a chance at a D like Madison Bowey, Dillon Heatherington, or Steve Santini to name a few. Though Bowey and Heatherington seem like risers who could potentially go in the late 1st round. I also think there could be some quality forwards available too so Hagg isn't on my radar.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#865 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

I'm all for giving them some, but ther'es no reason on earth they should have 4 each. THe penguins last year released 1500 for the first day and it was first come first serve not some random lottery where only 250 people win. Not that those are great odds but not ridiculously low ones like here

Sigh. If you think online writers can't get any press credentials, you really have no idea what you're talking about

Please explain why they don't deserve 4 each? My Father is a STH, he has 4 seats he splits with 3 other people, so there's 4 people total. Why don't they all deserve 1 ticket? From my understanding, their acct only was guaranteed 2 tickets. Any extras were given only after they gauged interest with the contest, or so it seemed to me.

#866 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

Looks like this is how the TV coverage will shake out:

Saturday

7-8 NHL Network: 2013 Scouting Combine Recap

Sunday

3-8 NBC Sports: Live Draft Coverage

8-10:30 NHL Network: Live Draft Coverage

#867 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:35 PM

Please explain why they don't deserve 4 each? My Father is a STH, he has 4 seats he splits with 3 other people, so there's 4 people total. Why don't they all deserve 1 ticket? From my understanding, their acct only was guaranteed 2 tickets. Any extras were given only after they gauged interest with the contest, or so it seemed to me.

They were able to request 4 more before the contest. Case in point, my friend Mark has 2 season tickets in club. He was able to request 4 tickets + the 2 he already receives before the contest, then he won the contest too. He now has 8 tickets while his STH plan is 2 game seats.

I'm not complaining at all about what STHs received nor that they took what they were offered, but it would've been a lot more fair to all if STHs were guaranteed 1 for each seat they pay for, so your dad and his friends all together should receive 4. The option to request more should not have been provided IMO. Get what you pay for and if you want more go the same route everyone else had to.

W/E now. Whats done is done. My only complaint has been the Devils could've done it a lot better. I'm sick of reading it and talking about it so going to stop now unless theres misinformation. 

#868 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,453 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

Yay!  I won free tickets for.....Sunday.    Most of the drama will be gone.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#869 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

They were able to request 4 more before the contest. Case in point, my friend Mark has 2 season tickets in club. He was able to request 4 tickets + the 2 he already receives before the contest, then he won the contest too. He now has 8 tickets while his STH plan is 2 game seats.

Ok yeah, that seems a little much. I would either say that was an isolated error or oversight by the Devils or whatever system they're using or I'll be fair and say those club seats are expensive as hell compared to my upper corners, so they felt like they'd throw him a few extra.

#870 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,086 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yay!  I won free tickets for.....Sunday.    Most of the drama will be gone

The draft isn't two days this year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#871 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,426 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

haha its only sunday

www.SterioDesign.com

#872 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,086 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Interesting piece here, again, from Copper And Blue:

http://www.coppernbl...tive-plus-minus

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#873 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

It's only a one-day draf.... I mean... yeah, that sucks, you should just get rid of that ticket. Want me to throw it away for you?

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#874 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,453 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

What I originally read was round #1 on Saturday starting at 8pm and Sunday at 3pm.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#875 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Interesting piece here, again, from Copper And Blue:

http://www.coppernbl...tive-plus-minus

To talk micro from that macro, is that list that helpful on individual player comparison? For example, apparently Monahan's team is garbage so he should have an easier time generating a positive relative +/- than a guy who plays on a team with a good 2nd line.

Basically, since the list is so team dependent, is he justified in bumping up or dropping down players due to that lost. Based on that article, I would say no.

What I originally read was round #1 on Saturday starting at 8pm and Sunday at 3pm.

It all got condensed, you've got tickets to the whole draft.

What's also fun, free agency "talking" starts the next day so the twitter rumor mill should be cranking double hard.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#876 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Does anyone know which players were invited to NJ after the combine? beside Hagg/Lazar. Wonder if TG knows but wasn't allowed to say? 

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#877 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

To talk micro from that macro, is that list that helpful on individual player comparison? For example, apparently Monahan's team is garbage so he should have an easier time generating a positive relative +/- than a guy who plays on a team with a good 2nd line.

Basically, since the list is so team dependent, is he justified in bumping up or dropping down players due to that lost. Based on that article, I would say no.

A comparable situation would be Couturier. He was on a pretty eh team, still went fairly high, but at one point was the #1 rated guy. I think it could go either way with Monahan. He could fall a few spots, but I would base that more on teams rating other players higher or drafting for a specific need not because he played for a weaker team.

#878 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,383 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

I thought it would be fun to look over the Devils drafts since the 04-05 lockout to see if there were any trends. Here are where their picks came from each year:

7 players - 1 USNTDP, 2 WHL, 3 OHL, 1 BCHL
Played in NHL: Matteau

6 players - 1 Sweden, 1 USHL, 2 USNTDP, 1 WHL, 1 USHS
Played in NHL: Larsson

5 players - 1 USNTDP, 1 OHL, 1 USHS, 1 QMJHL, 1 Switzerland
Played in NHL: N/A

7 players - 2 Sweden, 2 QMJHL, 1 USHL, 1 AJHL, 1 BCHL
Played in NHL: Josefson, Gelinas, Urbom,

9 players - 1 Sweden, 1 OPJHL, 2 QMJHL, 3 OHL, 1 WHL, 1 USNTDP
Played in NHL: Tedenby, Cormier, Henrique

6 players - 1 USNTDP, 2 OHL, 1 BCHL, 1 Finland, 1 WHL
Played in NHL: Palmieri, Halischuk

8 players - 1 OHL, 3 Russia, 1 BCHL, 2 QMJHL, 1 AtJHL
Played in NHL: Corrente, Vasyunov, Zharkov, Magnan

7 players - 2 Sweden, 1 USNTDP, 2 OHL, 1 USHS, 1 WHL
Played in NHL: Bergfors, Frazee, Fraser, Davis, Fayne

Note: Obviously recent draft classes won't have as many players who've tasted the NHL. Even a draft as far back as 2007 could yield another player if McPherson makes it in a year or so. I really just added this part in for fun.

- Devils have drafted 25 players from the major junior. Breaking down to 6 WHL, 12 OHL, and 7 QMJHL players. They've only gone to the QMJHL once in the past 3 years as opposed to the WHL 3 times and OHL 4 times.

- Devils have drafted 7 players out of the USNTDP in 6 out of these 8 drafts, including 4 players in the past 3 drafts.

- Devils have drafted 9 players from non-major junior leagues in 6 of the past 8 drafts.

- Devils have drafted 11 players out of Europe with 2012 the only time they didn't select one. Breaks down to 6 Swedes, 1 Swiss, 1 Finn, and 3 Russians (all same draft - 06).

- Devils have drafted 3 players from US High Schools with polar opposite results, Fayne vs. Faust + Daly.

Note: Only having 4 picks will be the Devils least amount ever in their draft history, unless they add more.

#879 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:11 AM

Does anyone know which players were invited to NJ after the combine? beside Hagg/Lazar. Wonder if TG knows but wasn't allowed to say?

I remember hearing that the Devils had a private combine with Monahan as well
25smul5.png

#880 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

This is kind of off-topic, I guess, but it looks like this is the best thread to ask the question in:

Do we expect the Stanley Cup to be on display somewhere in the arena on Sunday?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users