1269 replies to this topic

#1021 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM

Apparently Calgary offered Colorado all three of their first round picks for Colorado's first overall. That's a pretty big offer.

Still wouldn't take it if I were Colorado.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1022 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Still wouldn't take it if I were Colorado.

must be so hard to be a GM and having to make those decisions... like who knows really? youre constantly gambling. imagine if Flyers would have offered their 2 first round pick in 2003 cause they needed a goalie desperately and were going hard for Fleury. 

I can't say in 2003 if i would have had to make that trade or not based on the scouting reports at the time. But i can assure you that in 2013 looking back at it i would have kept Carter and Richards 110% sure lol

Edited by SterioDesign, 27 June 2013 - 05:52 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1023 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

I don't like the level of certainty exhibited by this piece, but there's a lot of truth to it nonetheless:  http://thats-offside...-and-draft.html

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#1024 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

I don't like the level of certainty exhibited by this piece, but there's a lot of truth to it nonetheless:  http://thats-offside...-and-draft.html

Very interesting piece, I enjoyed the writing, but can't argue the certainty.  Although it would detract from his main thesis, it would interesting to see guys who made the NHL as regulars without having the near .5 ppg average.

Edited by RizzMB30, 27 June 2013 - 10:22 PM.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#1025 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

(Grrrr, Tapatalk making me mad) I was going to say that the big problem with this article is that the writer considers anyone drafted in the first three rounds to be an "early" pick. Usually we think of anything past the 16th pick to not be an early pick. If he wanted to do something more useful, he should have confined it to the first round selections, maybe the second round, but no further than that. Or better yet, compare high point second rounders to low point first rounders and see if there's anything to it. Thats especially the case since he's making a pretty bold prediction that Jordan Subban will be a better NHLer than Zadorov.

Edited by Daniel, 27 June 2013 - 10:41 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1026 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:40 PM

(Grrrr, Tapatalk making me mad) I was going to say that the big problem with this article is that the writer considers anyone drafted in the first three rounds to be an "early" pick. Usually we think of anything past the 16th pick to not be an early pick. If he wanted to do something more useful, he should have confined it to the first round selections, maybe the second round, but no further than that. Or better yet, compare high point second rounders to low point first rounders and see if there's anything to it. Thats especially the case since he's making a pretty bold prediction that Jordan Subban will be a better NHLer than Zadorov.

That is casting a wide net, but it eats up plenty of 1st rounders as well.  Like I said, I don't like the certainty, because one junior season has plenty of variance in it, and a player can have a rough season by the percentages.  But it's something that I always say - while offense may not make it to the next level, it is always a good sign.  If you're not putting up points in junior, you probably don't have much skill with the puck, and it's hard to develop that outside of junior.  Indeed, there are guys like Chara who developed it later on, but they are the exception.  I think with a lot of these big players, the idea is that he has to grow into his body or something like that, but it's just not often that it happens.

#1027 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

That is casting a wide net, but it eats up plenty of 1st rounders as well.  Like I said, I don't like the certainty, because one junior season has plenty of variance in it, and a player can have a rough season by the percentages.  But it's something that I always say - while offense may not make it to the next level, it is always a good sign.  If you're not putting up points in junior, you probably don't have much skill with the puck, and it's hard to develop that outside of junior.  Indeed, there are guys like Chara who developed it later on, but they are the exception.  I think with a lot of these big players, the idea is that he has to grow into his body or something like that, but it's just not often that it happens.

watched a video yesterday with the Coyotes head scout talking about that actually yesterday it was pretty interesting

http://video.coyotes...bed-share-video

www.SterioDesign.com

#1028 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Some cool stuff out today on preparation for the draft and its impact on Newark/NJ:

http://www.nj.com/es...ml#incart_river

Stronger Than The Storm, the federally funded $25 million marketing campaign to promote the Jersey shore’s post-Sandy recovery, is sponsoring the draft and starting Friday will be holding beach-themed events throughout the weekend.

Yesterday, workers built a makeshift boardwalk stretching across Championship Plaza on Mulberry Street. Roughly 34 tons of sand were brought in to build a beach outside the arena. More than 30 cherry trees were planted by the arena’s southern entrance. Team offcials point out that the trees colors, red and green, are the old colors of the New Jersey Devils.

A ferris wheel will be set up, and games and events are planned throughout the weekend.

Devils officials said that 12 NHL teams will be staying in New Jersey for the draft, equaling 2,500 hotel nights booked. Of those, 1,000 are in Newark.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker, NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Vanderbeek will hold a news conference on Saturday at noon.

13009266-mmmain.jpg

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1029 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

I hope they put the Rags table right under the 2012 Eastern Conference Champion banner and then lower it to their eye level.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1030 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

This is going to sound..whatever, but man do I hope they have lots and lots of redundant security booked.  

God forbid the sh!theads of Newark decide to come out to try and make a headline.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#1031 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,044 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

I hope they put the Rags table right under the 2012 Eastern Conference Champion banner and then lower it to their eye level.

Lmfao, best idea ever.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1032 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

This is going to sound..whatever, but man do I hope they have lots and lots of redundant security booked.  

God forbid the sh!theads of Newark decide to come out to try and make a headline.

Yeah, that did sound whatever.  I'm sure that petty criminals are hoping to see their names in the paper.

#1033 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

They had the finals last year with no issues.  I doubt anything bad happens at the draft.

#1034 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yeah, that did sound whatever.  I'm sure that petty criminals are hoping to see their names in the paper.

Settle down smart ass, you know what I meant.

Large-scale events in bad areas tend to attract the bottom feeders.

They had the finals last year with no issues.  I doubt anything bad happens at the draft.

This is true

believe-ll.jpg

#1035 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

Settle down smart ass, you know what I meant.

Large-scale events in bad areas tend to attract the bottom feeders.

This is true

If you think downtown Newark is a bad area, you really need to get out more.

#1036 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

I used to work there. Believe me, it's a spooky place when there's not an event at the Rock. Especially Penn Station anytime after 9.

All the redevelopment projects will really make the place nothing more than a Potemkin village.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1037 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Shinkaruk says he plays similar to Parise. I would have said a hybrid of Skinner and Kessel

#1038 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,857 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

So you're saying downtown Newark is somewhere you'd just take a stroll alone at night for the hell of it?

I haven't been to the many slums of the world, but I feel like its safe to say downtown Newark is not a place I'd feel comfortable walking through with my family at night (game nights with the huge crowd being an exception of course).

believe-ll.jpg

#1039 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,731 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Shinkaruk says he plays similar to Parise. I would have said a hybrid of Skinner and Kessel

i dont think he has Kessel's shot though, Kessel has a Sakic'ish way of shooting while still skating (not gliding and shooting). Not a lot of players does it

www.SterioDesign.com

#1040 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

So you're saying downtown Newark is somewhere you'd just take a stroll alone at night for the hell of it?

I haven't been to the many slums of the world, but I feel like its safe to say downtown Newark is not a place I'd feel comfortable walking through with my family at night (game nights with the huge crowd being an exception of course).

Yes, I've been in downtown Newark past, oooohh so scurry, midnight. I once had a homeless guy ask for a cigarette then grab a few and ran, but I'm not scared of downtown Newark at night. And on event nights, it's not like there's gonna be anyone asking if you need the diesel while they got that crow's nest up on Market and Broad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users