1269 replies to this topic

#1061 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

If we traded back for a late first rounder I would take Fucale. Would be amazing if he's there in the second round, or Petan.

There are so many forwards I like that will go in the 1st round. If the Devils traded back and had 2 picks in the 1st, I'd rather pick up 2 of Horvat/Wennberg/Zykov/Domi/Lazar/Hartman/Klimchuk (add Shinkaruk to that if he was to fall). With the praise Fucale has earned and the reviews I've read on him, I won't whine if he would be the 2nd 1st round pick but I wouldn't be hoping for it.

I should note I have a bias towards players with size so naturally I'm not a huge fan of Petan, even if he drops to the 2nd round. His offensive skills are elite but there a lot of concerns about how a small player, who already isn't physical, will adapt to the next level. Domi may also be small but I think Mark Edwards of Hockey Prospect had an interesting quote on this:

Quotable: “I really like Petan. I had a lot of people ask me why is Domi ranked higher? For me it’s two reasons. First, Domi has a very strong core. Secondly, I think Domi helped his line mates more than he was helped. Petan is smart and skilled but I think his line mates helped him out as well. Regardless, he’s a first rounder in my books. He’s small but elite.” Mark Edwards

Also there are a lot of of other prospects that I have more interest in for that 2nd round pick, even if Petan was available then.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#1062 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

Made my full 2 Round Mock Draft tonight, this goes without saying, I had the Devils taking two forwards:

http://dynastysports...4&st=0#entry153

1. Colorado_zpsf07ac060.png - Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
Skinny: Best forward in the Draft, arguably best player in the Draft; Colorado adds tremendous depth down the middle.
2. Florida_zps443e8f57.png - Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL)
Skinny: Will be the cornerstone of their franchise on their back end, Jones and Huberdeau will lead the Cats to big things.
3. TampaBay_zps1acbf8b1.png - Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
Skinny: Incredibly high hockey IQ, tremendous skill to match, Marty St. Louis 2.0 anyone?
4. Nashville_zps9af67ca7.png - Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara (FIN)
Skinny: Nashville gets potentially one of their best offensive players in franchise history, incredible skill set and talent, future #1 center.
5. Carolina_zpsd1751f5e.png - Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. (OHL)
Skinny: Physical defenseman, similar play style to Shea Weber, Carolina gets the Top 4 defenseman they're looking for.
6. Calgary_zps9d45049e.png - Elias Lindholm, C, Brynäs (SWE)
Skinny: Meet Calgary's new building block, young Swedish center put up good numbers playing against men in Sweden, great all-around player.
7. Edmonton_zpsd516c9c3.png - Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL)
Skinny: Responsible two-way center, and great leadership qualities to boot. Think Mike Richards on this one.
8. Buffalo_zpse0d417ec.png - Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS (FIN)
Skinny: Punishing Finnish defenseman that can also produce offensively, draws strong comparisons to Tampa's Victor Hedman.
9. NewJersey_zpsfd2beea2.png - Valeri Nichushkin, LW, Chelyabinsk (RUS)
Skinny: Big-bodied Russian forward, plays like a Nash-Malkin hybrid, New Jersey is thankful he falls this far. Having Kovalchuk as insulation makes this pick even easier for the Devils.
10. Dallas_zps6094af77.png - Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat (WHL)
Skinny: One of the hardest working players in this year's Draft, his work ethic will make him loved in Dallas, gifted offensive producer to boot.

39. NewJersey_zpsfd2beea2.png - William Carrier, C, Cape Breton (QMJHL)

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised to actually see Nichushkin fall to us, being a Russian and playing in the KHL is already good for a drop of 2-3 spots, and him telling teams he won't play in the AHL is good for another drop, it isn't all too far-fetched that he's there at 9.
25smul5.png

#1063 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

There are so many forwards I like that will go in the 1st round. If the Devils traded back and had 2 picks in the 1st, I'd rather pick up 2 of Horvat/Wennberg/Zykov/Domi/Lazar/Hartman/Klimchuk (add Shinkaruk to that if he was to fall). With the praise Fucale has earned and the reviews I've read on him, I won't whine if he would be the 2nd 1st round

No Mantha? Most naturally gifted goalscorer in the draft according to various scouts.. You can always teach someone to play D..
Posted Image

#1064 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:32 AM

Anybody who's looking for 2 tickets to the draft. If my Father hasn't found a taker in the next couple hours, I'll have a pair to get rid of. Check back here later today, I will post when I know for sure.

On another note, is anyone planning on going to the Top Prospects Clinic at 1:30 today? I saw TG tweet that it was open to the public.

#1065 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Sign me up for Ristolainen, don't draft by need. A you can grab a nice potential center early in the second round. Ristolainen's shot is too good not to translate to the NHL in terms of offense. His release is lightning fast, he has the hardest shot in the draft and he is right handed. You can always unload defensmen for forwards.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#1066 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Ristolainen

Dauphin

It isn't sexy picks but it is the way NJ should go. Maybe move Fayne for a winger.

#1067 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

Sign me up for Ristolainen, don't draft by need. A you can grab a nice potential center early in the second round. Ristolainen's shot is too good not to translate to the NHL in terms of offense. His release is lightning fast, he has the hardest shot in the draft and he is right handed. You can always unload defensmen for forwards.

I don't necessarily think a right shot is that important anymore. Larsson, Fayne and Severson are righties

#1068 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,890 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

Anybody who's looking for 2 tickets to the draft. If my Father hasn't found a taker in the next couple hours, I'll have a pair to get rid of. Check back here later today, I will post when I know for sure.
On another note, is anyone planning on going to the Top Prospects Clinic at 1:30 today? I saw TG tweet that it was open to the public.

. Definitely interested, if you get them can you PM me ATL? Thanks, been looking for 2 for a while.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1069 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

I don't necessarily think a right shot is that important anymore. Larsson, Fayne and Severson are righties

I really believe Fayne needs to be moved for some offensive help. NJ would be foolish to fill all these needs through FA. Maybe Fayne to Edmonton for Hemsky type trade.

#1070 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

I really believe Fayne needs to be moved for some offensive help. NJ would be foolish to fill all these needs through FA. Maybe Fayne to Edmonton for Hemsky type trade.

Fayne's good, but not good enough to bring back a Hemsky level player. We need offense and even though we have good D Men the #9 pick is our best shot at getting good offense.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1071 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

With the draft tomorrow does anybody know any mobile apps that will send alerts when trades occur? I may be away from the tv and miss a lot of the draft but to get alerts on any trades would be nice.

Also to add my worthless opinion on the draft - if the Devils dont draft a scori g forward ill be bummed.

#1072 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Fayne's good, but not good enough to bring back a Hemsky level player. We need offense and even though we have good D Men the #9 pick is our best shot at getting good offense.

Hemsky is a UFA next year and his soft as butter

#1073 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

Fayne package could easily get Hemsky. Hemsky will be a UFA coming off two terrible years.

#1074 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Fayne package could easily get Hemsky. Hemsky will be a UFA coming off two terrible years.

Hemsky is also made of glass and can't finish a full season. We've all seen how dangerously thin we are at offense, the last thing we need is to be dangerously thin on defense.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#1075 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:39 AM

Even without Fayne on defense you would have Larsson, Greene, Tallinder, Gelinas, Urbom, Merrill, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Salvador, Ristolainen, Harrold, Sversson. I don't think you need to worry about NJ being thin in the next 5 years.

#1076 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Lindholm said he's playing in Sweden next year. I could see him sliding a bit and we don't necessarily need him in NJ yet

#1077 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

Fayne himself is a UFA to be. So I think we're overrating his trade value just a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1078 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

Lindholm said he's playing in Sweden next year. I could see him sliding a bit and we don't necessarily need him in NJ yet

that would be fvcking marvellous to land him. But i can't see the Sabres passing him if he's the only forward left. they are rebuilding so they dont need him next season either

www.SterioDesign.com

#1079 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

Not sure its reliable, probly not and i cant see it but if true. fvck yes. 

@Hockey_tracker: Ottawa Sun reports if the #Hurricanes keep 5th overall, they will likely pick Nurse

Edited by SterioDesign, 29 June 2013 - 12:19 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1080 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

I really want Domi.  But, I would send 9 overall to Boston in a minute for Seguin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users