1269 replies to this topic

#1241 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

All things considered, I think Bettman handled himself pretty well yesterday. He even made me laugh a couple of times with how he dealt with the booing.

#1242 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

All things considered, I think Bettman handled himself pretty well yesterday. He even made me laugh a couple of times with how he dealt with the booing.

I tend to agree with you although I will say at times he came across as a creepy school teacher trying to calm a group of boisterous teens.

"I think you're going to want to hear this (creepy voice and Bettman facial expression)".

#1243 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,744 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

man i seriously couldnt stop laughing at the "i really love your energy" comment by bettman, ah gawd

lets re-live it

Edited by SterioDesign, 01 July 2013 - 08:49 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1244 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Heard Pronger and another Flyers staff member talk about how Morin plays "Flyers hockey". Not only was it a reach, it appears toughness is still highly valued in their organization. Never change Philly

#1245 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

man i seriously couldnt stop laughing at the "i really love your energy" comment by bettman, ah gawd

lets re-live it

Haha

I have to say though I was not happy with the "Marty's better" chants when Roy was up there. I just have too much respect for him to embarrass him like that. Plus we all know Marty's better already. :koolaid:

#1246 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,744 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Haha

I have to say though I was not happy with the "Marty's better" chants when Roy was up there. I just have too much respect for him to embarrass him like that. Plus we all know Marty's better already. :koolaid:

yeah i HATE Roy and have no respect for him i use to troll him all the time when he'd coach in Moncton or Bathurst lol but yeah i just felt the fans made us look bad a little. Was not classy at all. For the Rangers and Bettman fine. But more than that. Too much.

www.SterioDesign.com

#1247 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

In case people didn't click on the link.  I thought this was pretty cool.

BOD17IBCcAA7PTD.jpg

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1248 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

yeah i HATE Roy and have no respect for him i use to troll him all the time when he'd coach in Moncton or Bathurst lol but yeah i just felt the fans made us look bad a little. Was not classy at all. For the Rangers and Bettman fine. But more than that. Too much.

Ahh come on. It was all in fun and I'm sure Roy got a chuckle out of it

#1249 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Heard Pronger and another Flyers staff member talk about how Morin plays "Flyers hockey". Not only was it a reach, it appears toughness is still highly valued in their organization. Never change Philly

'Flyers hockey: We rough. We tough. We Stupid. And our goalie blows.' Put that on some ticket brochures and send 'em out, truth in fvcking advertising right there.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#1250 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Some thoughts about yesterdays draft outside the actual selection and trading of players:

1) Great turn-out.  Tons of people there and great to go to a Devils event that involves other teams that do not break out into these silly little fights between other teams fans.

2) Fan fest was mostly good.  Kinda sh!tty that the ferris wheel didn't get built until the fest started and they didn't even finish building it by the time the draft started.  The games were nice and free and the mini golf course and street hockey was a nice touch.

3) South entrance looks 100x nicer with the new trees there.  Doesn't look as barren as before.

4) I don't know about anyone else, but from what was told in the days leading up is that we would only be allowed in the 100 and 200 levels and that STH and their guests can come in early at 12:30.  Well what they didn't mention is that the first 1300 people could get a free upgrade to the lower level.  Wish they would have mentioned that as I would have gotten in line earlier but not a huge dealbreaker for me.

5) Card and memoribilia expo was like any of the others I have been to.  Overpriced and run by sad-looking sports memoribilia dealers.

6) Seeing the trophies was cool but didn't see the cup as the line was too long.  I have seen the cup many times before so no big deal for me.

7) Seth Jones was a jackass to a bunch of people and didn't sign for a bunch of people's stuff.

8) Wish the Devils would do like the yankees do when it gets hot out and offer free cooling stations with iced water.  Instead we were stuck for paying ridiculous prices for it. (I mean for the Fan fest portion)

Edited by DevsMan84, 01 July 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#1251 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,997 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I always find it amusing that Bettman gets booed like crazy in every arena that he is at, but only has positive fan interactions when fans see him around on a 1-on-1 basis. In Vancouver in 2011, and yesterday, the booing was pretty viscious. But chances are if a fan saw him in a bar later in the evening, they'd shake his hand and ask for a picture.

On another note, my favourite tweet of the day (at the Devils' expense, but still) came from Ian Mendes;

Bettman says "This is a home game for me" when addressing New Jersey crowd. I assume this now means the NHL owns the Devils.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#1252 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

On another note, my favourite tweet of the day (at the Devils' expense, but still) came from Ian Mendes;

Bettman says "This is a home game for me" when addressing New Jersey crowd. I assume this now means the NHL owns the Devils.

tumblr_m4pl04bn9C1qbz041o1_400.jpg

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#1253 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I always find it amusing that Bettman gets booed like crazy in every arena that he is at, but only has positive fan interactions when fans see him around on a 1-on-1 basis. In Vancouver in 2011, and yesterday, the booing was pretty viscious. But chances are if a fan saw him in a bar later in the evening, they'd shake his hand and ask for a picture.

:lol:  I'm going to be dropping that one a few times today.

I think commissioners getting booed at events is just part of the job and they get that.  The commissioner is the bugaboo for every league decision that fans don't like.  David Stern was encouraging the boos at the NBA draft, commissioners are the heel wrestlers of their organizations.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#1254 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Great event at the Rock yesterday.   Devil fans Rock!

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#1255 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Some thoughts about yesterdays draft outside the actual selection and trading of players:

1) Great turn-out.  Tons of people there and great to go to a Devils event that involves other teams that do not break out into these silly little fights between other teams fans.

2) Fan fest was mostly good.  Kinda sh!tty that the ferris wheel didn't get built until the fest started and they didn't even finish building it by the time the draft started.  The games were nice and free and the mini golf course and street hockey was a nice touch.

3) South entrance looks 100x nicer with the new trees there.  Doesn't look as barren as before.

4) I don't know about anyone else, but from what was told in the days leading up is that we would only be allowed in the 100 and 200 levels and that STH and their guests can come in early at 12:30.  Well what they didn't mention is that the first 1300 people could get a free upgrade to the lower level.  Wish they would have mentioned that as I would have gotten in line earlier but not a huge dealbreaker for me.

5) Card and memoribilia expo was like any of the others I have been to.  Overpriced and run by sad-looking sports memoribilia dealers.

6) Seeing the trophies was cool but didn't see the cup as the line was too long.  I have seen the cup many times before so no big deal for me.

7) Seth Jones was a jackass to a bunch of people and didn't sign for a bunch of people's stuff.

8) Wish the Devils would do like the yankees do when it gets hot out and offer free cooling stations with iced water.  Instead we were stuck for paying ridiculous prices for it. (I mean for the Fan fest portion)

Anything else go on during Fan Fest? Was most of the stuff going on during Fan Fest free? Does anyone have any good photos of it -- the games, the Ferris Wheel, etc.? (I saw the few that Colin posted earlier.)

#1256 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Side note about Fan Fest, the food trucks they had featured were absolutely amazing. They were a little pricey but really delicious.

#1257 NJDEVS1730

NJDEVS1730

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I had no idea about #4 either, do you know how people upgraded?

#1258 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I had no idea about #4 either, do you know how people upgraded?

Basically you had to be the first 1300 people in the building when it opened to STH at 12:30 on the Lafayette entrance by the parking garage.  My buddy was one of those people and they gave him tickets in section 5.

#1259 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

If you went in the season ticket holder entrance on Lafayette you could get them. A friend of mine had season tickets and we got upgraded to section 44, four rows from the NHL Network setup. It was neat, but not much different from what you'd see from above. (In fact, I may have slightly preferred the 100s because I was having trouble seeing what was going on on the draft floor, and couldn't even find the Devils table until late in the draft.)

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#1260 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Overall an absolutely great turnout.  Crowd was very into it, whether it was booing the hell out of Bettman throughout the first round, the Rangers during roll call, or the excitement leading up to our pick and the announcment of the trade.  I think most people (myself included) were excited that Nichuskin fell to 9, and assumed he would be the pick.  When they announced the trade, I immediately thought we got Bobby Ryan and when they said Vancouver I almost had a heart attacking in that split second I thought it was Luongo.

Everything seemed well organized.  Even getting the commemorative tickets given to STH's wasn't a disaster. 

One thing I noted is that the hand rolled cigar store on the main concourse brought out the big guns for the draft with 3 smoking hot girls working yesterday afternoon.  No surprise their stand was better attended than usual. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users