46 replies to this topic

#1 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I tried thinking of a really horrid one and at worst they were worth the gamble... maybe Doug Gilmore?

#2 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,395 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

This isnt the worst trade but the Halischuk for Arnott trade really pissed me off. He would fit well on our bottom six right now.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#3 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

Willie Mitchell for Sean O'Donnell
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#4 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,041 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Speaking as a Devils fan starting in the mid 90s. I am sure there were some bad ones pre-Lamoriello.

Lamoriello hasn't made many deals that have really hurt the franchise at all. It's the deals he hasn't made that you could argue have hurt the Devils with impending free agents but even that's a stretch.

If the Mitchell-O'Donnell is the worst Lou has done, that's pretty damn good. But that might be the worst one that I can remember.

I've never liked Lou's deadline depth defenseman moves, but even then he didn't give up much to get them (Klee for Suglobov, Skoula for a 5th, Havelid for Salmela).

Edited by devilsrule33, 10 December 2012 - 07:24 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#5 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,615 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

Pat Verbeek for Sylvain Turgeon is probably the worst one Lou ever did - Stephane Richer for Lyle Odelein is also up there.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

Lee Norwood for Paul Ysabaert was pretty bad.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#7 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Pat Verbeek for Sylvain Turgeon is probably the worst one Lou ever did - Stephane Richer for Lyle Odelein is also up there.

Richer's career was almost over at that point, so it's hard for that to be a bad trade. Richer plays one more decent season and Odelein, while not beloved, is good enough to play 3 decent seasons for the Devils.

Turgeon was flipped after 1 year for Claude Lemieux, so Turgeon was never able to put things together, due to injuries, but he seemed to have nice trade value. :lol:

------------------------------------------

I think this thread is doing a pretty good job that Lou rarely makes any horrific trades. Most of the bad trades listed don't have much real impact.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#8 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

Pat Verbeek for Sylvain Turgeon, and it's not close.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#9 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

I know there were a lot of extenuating circumstances behind this but purely from a value standpoint:

Malakhov and 1st round pick (turned into Perron) for Korolyuk and Jim Fahey.

Edit: Whatever happened to Malakhov?

Edited by StormJosh, 10 December 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#10 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Claude Lemiuex three way deal.

#11 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,021 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Found a cool site that has a list of all the trades...

http://www.nhltradet...Jersey_Devils/1

#12 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

This isnt the worst trade but the Halischuk for Arnott trade really pissed me off. He would fit well on our bottom six right now.

Good one, forgot about that one.. Halischuk's doing pretty well for himself right now!

#13 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

. Ooooh, good call Beetle. That was actually worse than Verbeek for Turgeon. I take it back. :P

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#14 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Sylvain Turgeon was cool as sh!t. He broke his stick during a practice back at SMA and he gave it to me. I was standing by the bench watching and he was like, "Hey buddy, want a stick?". I just thought that was awesome. I was only like 16 or 17 back then so it was really cool to me.

Probably the only memory I have of the guy though.

#15 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Jim Dowd for Jocelyn Lemieux a few days before Christmas.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 11 December 2012 - 08:08 AM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#16 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

Sylvain Turgeon was cool as sh!t. He broke his stick during a practice back at SMA and he gave it to me. I was standing by the bench watching and he was like, "Hey buddy, want a stick?". I just thought that was awesome. I was only like 16 or 17 back then so it was really cool to me.

Probably the only memory I have of the guy though.

Turgeon had developed a reputation as a lazy malingerer with the Whalers, and a guy who didn't exactly bust his ass to get back on the ice when he was hurt. When he came to the Devils, he went on and on about a new start, how things were going to be different, etc. Lou apparently saw all he needed to see from Turgeon in his one season here (think he scored 30 goals and had 17 assist in something like 66 GP), and couldn't trade him fast enough...but he had just enough potential that he kept getting chances and had some value...many thought that he was actually more physically gifted than his brother Pierre.

That was due to a contract dispute...unfortunately the Devils got the worst player in the deal in Steve Thomas. I would've liked to have seen what Wendell Clark might've done as a Devil.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#17 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,003 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Arnott for Halischuk.

I mean, it made sense at the time, I doubt anyone had any problems with it. Devils got their coveted second line center they had been longing for, and didn't mind losing a prospect because they had Palmieri, Tedenby, and others who they thought could might an impact. And then the season went to the sh!tter.

Arnott performed pretty well actually, I think he led us in goals the first half of the season. Just sucks to see Halischuk crack the NHL while Palmieri was a bust and Tedenby is looking more and more like it everyday.

#18 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,029 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

A forgotten bad one was Walt Poddubny (who became washed up overnight) for Joe CIrella and Claude Loiselle, who were still productive role players for many years to come...plus a draft pick that turned into Alexander Karpovtsev

a 2nd round pick for Esa Tikkanen was also pretty bad

Edited by '7', 11 December 2012 - 09:48 AM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

A forgotten bad one was Walt Poddubny (who became washed up overnight) for Joe CIrella and Claude Loiselle, who were still productive role players for many years to come...plus a draft pick that turned into Alexander Karpovtsev

a 2nd round pick for Esa Tikkanen was also pretty bad

Poddubny made great sense on paper, but his back (and it happened out of nowhere) killed his career. I remember he had 2 goals thru the first two games of the '89-'90 season, and Turgeon had 4 (Including a hat trick in the first game of the year).

Tikkanen simply didn't want to be here, which is why his career lasted all of 9 games or so, but Lou gave up a third rounder for him (from St. Louis I think) and got back a second rounder when he traded him to Vancouver. So basically a third-rounder for a second-rounder.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,615 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Arnott for Halischuk.

I mean, it made sense at the time, I doubt anyone had any problems with it. Devils got their coveted second line center they had been longing for, and didn't mind losing a prospect because they had Palmieri, Tedenby, and others who they thought could might an impact. And then the season went to the sh!tter.

Arnott performed pretty well actually, I think he led us in goals the first half of the season. Just sucks to see Halischuk crack the NHL while Palmieri was a bust and Tedenby is looking more and more like it everyday.

Halischuk is a fringe NHL player riding a hot streak shooting-wise. Plus the Devils traded Arnott for Steckel and a 2nd rounder, and then they dealt Steckel for a 4th rounder. Would be nice to have Halischuk around but he's not very good.

People forget that the year before, the Devils had Rob f-ing Niedermayer playing center. And he was abysmal.

Edited by Triumph, 11 December 2012 - 10:50 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users