Photo

What was the best trade in Devils history?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Guerin was an a#$hole who pretty much banished himself. Arnott seemed to be the final piece of the puzzle for what was potentially the greatest Devil line-up of all time (although we didn't win the cup in 2001).

I had been a fan of Guerin from before he had his issues with the team. That's how it is sometimes, fans get emotionally invested in players early on and then occasionally things happen and it doesn't work out.

And Zelepukin, well who didn't like him.

Edited by 95Crash, 11 December 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#22 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,112 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

It clearly won't go down as the best, but the Bryce Salvador for Cam Jansen trade is always one of the first that comes to mind when this topic is brought up. It still feels like some form or robbery to me.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#23 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

It clearly won't go down as the best, but the Bryce Salvador for Cam Jansen trade is always one of the first that comes to mind when this topic is brought up. It still feels like some form or robbery to me.

based on my criteria (eventual most for eventual least), this is actually might be the best trade lou ever made. good thought by you.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,038 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

Same, although like with Kovy we didn't know that Salvador was going to re-sign here when we made the trade, let alone sign 'two' contracts with the Devils after being a lifelong Blue. And now we've had Janssen back the last two years to boot :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Great thread. Haven't read through it all yet, but there are some great trades to choose from. Kurvers to Toronto for their 1st that turned out to be Nieds is my personal favorite, but the Kovy trade is certainly in the discussion. How about Troy Crowder for Randy McKay? That was a great deal too.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#26 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Great thread. Haven't read through it all yet, but there are some great trades to choose from. Kurvers to Toronto for their 1st that turned out to be Nieds is my personal favorite, but the Kovy trade is certainly in the discussion. How about Troy Crowder for Randy McKay? That was a great deal too.

Getting McKay was actually compensation for Crowder. Devils asked for Bob Probert and lost to get "stuck" with Dave Barr and Randy McKay
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#27 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Getting McKay was actually compensation for Crowder. Devils asked for Bob Probert and lost to get "stuck" with Dave Barr and Randy McKay

. Ah, that's right- forgot about that. Man, the system was so much different back then with RFA's and compensation for signing them. It would've been cool if we had NJDevs back then, there would've been some great discussions.

#28 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

What was the story with Guerin, Manta? I don't really know the story all that well.
Posted Image

#29 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

What was the story with Guerin, Manta? I don't really know the story all that well.

. Guerin was a little bitch about his contract, and got in a couple of different pissing matches with Lou if memory serves. There was a reason we called him Dollar Bill.

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,501 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:29 PM

. Guerin was a little bitch about his contract, and got in a couple of different pissing matches with Lou if memory serves. There was a reason we called him Dollar Bill.

Yeah his agent made claims about how the Devils' style of play stifled Guerin's numbers. Meanwhile dummy Guerin had had a rotten playoff and his dumbness cost the Devils the biggest goal in the playoffs (game tying goal in Game 4). I was overjoyed about that trade even though I'd heard Edmonton fans moaning about Arnott.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

About the Kovy trade: Almost positive Oduya just signed his contract in the prior summer and regressed a bit. IIRC, he was great when paired with Martin but struggled with everyone else. I think a few of us started thinking that contract was going to be a tough one to move.

#32 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Morrison + Pederson for Alex Mogilny I would say is up there in regards to this talk of "Most important trade in the history of the New Jersey Devils". I'm shocked that wasn't mentioned yet.

Edited by TheMazz, 12 December 2012 - 01:30 AM.

n2eg.jpg

#33 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

In 1990 The Devils traded the No. 11 pick and No. 32 pick in the draft to the Calgary Flames for the 20th, 24th and 29th picks. Calgary moved up to draft Trevor Kidd and Vesa Viitakoski. New Jersey drafted Martin Brodeur, David Harlock and Chris Gotziaman.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#34 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

The Tom Kurvers trade to Toronto is No. 1, but there are so many trades over the years that the Devils made out on compared to those they clearly lost. These 2 threads show how good Lou really has been over the years, although his cap management (especially in the beginning) left something to be desired.

My father knew Kurvers a little bit when he played here and I remember, after the trade came down, how upset Kurvers was. He loved playing here and didn't want to go, but it couldn't have possibly worked out better for this organization.
Posted Image

#35 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

In 1990 The Devils traded the No. 11 pick and No. 32 pick in the draft to the Calgary Flames for the 20th, 24th and 29th picks. Calgary moved up to draft Trevor Kidd and Vesa Viitakoski. New Jersey drafted Martin Brodeur, David Harlock and Chris Gotziaman.

I wouldn't count that, and if anything, it was an unwarranted gamble on Lou's part. Devils traded down, and Brodeur was still available.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#36 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

. Ah, that's right- forgot about that. Man, the system was so much different back then with RFA's and compensation for signing them. It would've been cool if we had NJDevs back then, there would've been some great discussions.

IIRC correctly, the RFA compensation system was similar in that the aggrieved team was only supposed to get draft picks. The reason why the Devils were awarded a player in compensation for Stevens at least was because the Blues had traded too many of their future first round picks. I'm not sure what happens now when a team signs an RFA, but the first rounders aren't available. RFA offer sheets are rare enough that I don't know if the situation has even arisen in recent years.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#37 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Best trade in my time since following the team closely has been the Kovalchuk trade.. Although I feel like I remember being excited the Langenbrunner trade yet sad to lose Arnott.. I tend to hate change so trades are rough
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,501 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

IIRC correctly, the RFA compensation system was similar in that the aggrieved team was only supposed to get draft picks. The reason why the Devils were awarded a player in compensation for Stevens at least was because the Blues had traded too many of their future first round picks. I'm not sure what happens now when a team signs an RFA, but the first rounders aren't available. RFA offer sheets are rare enough that I don't know if the situation has even arisen in recent years.

You have to have all the necessary picks in order to sign an RFA. You can't sign one without them, nor can you trade your picks and then trade back for your picks to sign an RFA.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,248 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

Morrison + Pederson for Alex Mogilny I would say is up there in regards to this talk of "Most important trade in the history of the New Jersey Devils". I'm shocked that wasn't mentioned yet.

important yes, but i'm not counting that because they gave up plenty to get mogilny. morrison had a pretty good career and pederson was serviceable for years.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#40 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

important yes, but i'm not counting that because they gave up plenty to get mogilny. morrison had a pretty good career and pederson was serviceable for years.

Sounds like a third thread could be made... most fair trade in Devils history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users