126 replies to this topic

#61 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

What a horse sh!t pass interference call. Not sure how a CB covers a receiver anymore. The NFL desperately needs to change that rule. If you fall down a lot of points, just chuck a ton of deep balls with 1-on-1 coverage. You'll get it most of the time.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#62 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

31-31! Holy freakin' sh!t!
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#63 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

And there's the Genius' D we all know and love.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 16 December 2012 - 11:43 PM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#64 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Selling out on the blitz like that on 1st down was a bit puzzling. If you get them on 2nd and long-ish...fine. But on 1st down on your own 35?

but the big play was the runback

Edited by '7', 16 December 2012 - 11:48 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#65 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

And that's the reason why Arrington got benched in place of Dennard this season. Now with Dennard out toast Arrington strikes again at CB.

#66 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

And there's the Genius' D we all know and love.

I don't get the "genius" bit. He can't play the game, and he isn't a perfect coach. But he has made some outstanding adjustments to get NE back in this game.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#67 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Billy Boy's hallmark is supposed to be his defense, his defense has been bad in NE for years.

The Niners' defense had a bit of a soft underbelly today too though, between this game and getting lit up by Brees in the playoffs you can throw on them a little, if you have a HOF QB at least :P
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#68 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

Billy Boy's hallmark is supposed to be his defense, his defense has been bad in NE for years.

This.

They did come up with a big stop here though. And they made some others today as well.

#30 FOREVER!

#69 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:56 PM

DAMMIT ALL...rough one...

#30 FOREVER!

#70 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

This game is another great example against the prevent defense. Going into it too early(3rd quarter today!) always leads to these mad scramble comebacks. You don't want crazy momentum to build against you, but as soon as San Fran started to play soft in the 3rd things went bad.

Prevent is really only for games where you're up 20-10 in the 4th, 2-3 min to go...and they have the ball on their own 20 or something. Then you let them try to run the clock out trying for one score, waste all their time outs...and if they do score it's basically onside or bust.
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#71 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,917 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

Why in the hell do you not punt there and take your chances on getting the ball back and playing 3 run stops?? Makes more sense then throwing a TERRIBLE pass in this pseudo-soup......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Why in the hell do you not punt there and take your chances on getting the ball back and playing 3 run stops?? Makes more sense then throwing a TERRIBLE pass in this pseudo-soup......

You can't trust the Genius' D to keep making stops. You hope your best (Brady) can find a way...with the second half he was having, I can understand why BB thought Brady could get it done. It just didn't happen.

#30 FOREVER!

#73 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Patriots ball security in the 1st half and 2nd half special teams (long return at 31-31, plus 3 holding penalties on returns) are square to blame for this game.

#74 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,917 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I don't like your odds, especially when a slip or any miscue and you hand them the insurance FG....and they stopped the 3 give up run plays after too.....
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#75 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

This is why Bill is a great coach. He perfectly executed the "down ten under a minute" play with the spike and field goal. I have seen coaches screw that up dozens and dozens of times.

Edit: That was an awful onside kick though.

Edited by devilsrule33, 17 December 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#76 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Patriots ball security in the 1st half and 2nd half special teams (long return at 31-31, plus 3 holding penalties on returns) are square to blame for this game.

Long return was definitely a killer, as were the special teams penalties. Admittedly, the D did make some key stops tonight...don't know how much more I could've asked of them, though getting toasted 35 yards to make it 38-31 was aggravating, and typical of what happens to BB defenses in big spots in recent years.

Onside kicks are such low percentage plays...they're so rarely recovered.

#30 FOREVER!

#77 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,866 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

Well they did go for it on 4th and more than 1 earlier in the quarter, but yeah that's too deep in your territory to do that and like the announcers said they tried to get too much...shoulda just ran a curl after five yards instead of drifting toward the linebacker.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#78 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

And why yards gained don't mean that much:

Pats had 520 yards of offense and Brady threw for 443 yards. Pretty amazing when one considers Brady had about 75 yards at the end of the first half.

#30 FOREVER!

#79 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,927 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:21 AM

Well they did go for it on 4th and more than 1 earlier in the quarter, but yeah that's too deep in your territory to do that and like the announcers said they tried to get too much...shoulda just ran a curl after five yards instead of drifting toward the linebacker.

At that point I think adrenaline is running and nerves are so frayed...that game was so crazy. The best decisions aren't always made under such circumstances.

#30 FOREVER!

#80 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

Long return was definitely a killer, as were the special teams penalties. Admittedly, the D did make some key stops tonight...don't know how much more I could've asked of them, though getting toasted 35 yards to make it 38-31 was aggravating, and typical of what happens to BB defenses in big spots in recent years.

Onside kicks are such low percentage plays...they're so rarely recovered.

Arrington's been a sieve all season when he's not committing dumb PI fouls. After Talib arrived he was benched in favor of Dennard who unfortunatly got hurt.

I'm not worried about Brady or the defense. The biggest concern is Ridley and Vereen who have caught a sudden case of the fumbles. The Patriots ground game has been key to their offense all season especailly in closing games and opening up play action. With both putting the ball on the ground that just forces everything on the passing game. Gronk must come back quickly because Hernandez is no-where the physical player that Gronk is. Gronk is also the Patriots only jump ball threat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users