49 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I don't think anyone would want Volchenkov, but amnestying him doesn't make much sense. The only reason to do it would be just to straight up save money - the Devils will be fine on the cap in 2013-14.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

It wouldn't even save them money...between the amount of money they'd have to pay on the buyout combined with the salary whoever replaces him on the roster gets it would be next to zero savings. The only reason to do it is for the cap, especially considering the cap could go down to $60 million with four key/semi-key FA's this offseason.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

It wouldn't even save them money...between the amount of money they'd have to pay on the buyout combined with the salary whoever replaces him on the roster gets it would be next to zero savings. The only reason to do it is for the cap, especially considering the cap could go down to $60 million with four key/semi-key FA's this offseason.

If they replaced him with Urbom it would save significant money. He's due 12.75M so an amnesty would be for 6.375M - with the Devils' young defensemen that are coming up, they could save serious cash.

The Devils are in a tremendous cap situation for 13-14. 4 key free agents, but two will take huge paycuts if they stay. Many other teams won't have money available to offer, so the market will be depressed.

#24 sokar

sokar

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

i would rather buy out salvador and keep volchenkov

#25 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

i would rather buy out salvador and keep volchenkov

Less realistic. Volch looked like Mark Fraser in the playoffs last year. Contract aside, I'd rather have the spot for someone else to get a look.Saving the money is just a bonus.

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

If they replaced him with Urbom it would save significant money. He's due 12.75M so an amnesty would be for 6.375M - with the Devils' young defensemen that are coming up, they could save serious cash.

The Devils are in a tremendous cap situation for 13-14. 4 key free agents, but two will take huge paycuts if they stay. Many other teams won't have money available to offer, so the market will be depressed.

I thought players got 2/3 of the money total of a buyout, spread over six years in Volchenkov's case? That might change in a new CBA regardless but I guess it saves 'up-front' money.

I don't think anyone's really in a 'good' cap situation if the owners get what they want, though I suspect the $60 million number has to be negotiated up a little. We're just above the floor this year and it's basically $5 million less than what the celing's supposed to be next year. With our UFA's, total salaries might be a wash at best if all four re-sign. Elias and Zubrus will get a little less (4-4.5 and 2-2.5), Clarkson and Zajac (4+ and 5.5-6) a little more. Other RFA's might have to get a raise.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 30 December 2012 - 06:27 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

I thought players got 2/3 of the money total of a buyout, spread over six years in Volchenkov's case? That might change in a new CBA regardless but I guess it saves 'up-front' money.

Amnesty buyouts under the previous arrangement were 1/2 of the money, though I don't remember how the money was distributed.

I don't think anyone's really in a 'good' cap situation if the owners get what they want, though I suspect the $60 million number has to be negotiated up a little. We're just above the floor this year and it's basically $5 million less than what the celing's supposed to be next year. With our UFA's, total salaries might be a wash at best if all four re-sign. Elias and Zubrus will get a little less (4-4.5 and 2-2.5), Clarkson and Zajac (4+ and 5.5-6) a little more. Other RFA's might have to get a raise.

The NHL is a closed system. That means that of necessity, some teams must be in a better cap situation than others. The Devils having tons of cap room (with UFAs) is a great situation to be in, because there will be a reduced market for all players. Big market teams will not only not be looking to add, they will be looking to subtract to get under the cap. Clarkson's current contract was signed with a 59.4M cap. He won't get a substantial raise unless he has a great half-season (and even if he does, the Devils should let him walk because there'll be better players available for less money). I agree with you that I don't think 60.xM is the final number, but something like 62M could be the number, and that still puts a lot of teams up against it. Small market teams aren't looking to spend any more, either.

#28 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Amnesty buyouts under the previous arrangement were 1/2 of the money, though I don't remember how the money was distributed.

Over double the duration of the remaining contract....when Colin White was bought out he had one year left, so the buyout cap hit counted for two seasons
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#29 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Less realistic. Volch looked like Mark Fraser in the playoffs last year. Contract aside, I'd rather have the spot for someone else to get a look.Saving the money is just a bonus.

Salvador is also considered a strong leader of that locker room, and the leader of the 'no name defense.' He really got them to rally around that in the playoffs. From all accounts, he's very determined and hard working in pre-season and practice. He's the kind of guy you want the younger players working with and following the example of.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#30 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Just curious what people think, but what about iginla? He's got 1 year left. I don't think he will be re-signing in Calgary. Maybe he gets bought out or traded?

#31 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

Just curious what people think, but what about iginla? He's got 1 year left. I don't think he will be re-signing in Calgary. Maybe he gets bought out or traded?

Thats absolutely impossible and a disgrace from the organization to buy out Iginla... Would be absolutely disgusting

www.SterioDesign.com

#32 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thats absolutely impossible and a disgrace from the organization to buy out Iginla... Would be absolutely disgusting

Agreed. It would be like us buying out Marty. No matter how bad it gets, Marty has done us so right, that we have to stick to him through a bad season or finincial issues even if it hurts us. Calgary should feel nearly the same for Iginla. The guy spent his whole career there, later on to only be stuck on awful teams where Kiprusoff was/still is the only saving grace of that team. Both those guys should have long ago disappeared from Calgary, but they didn't.

#33 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

now they are talking about 2 buyouts per team?

www.SterioDesign.com

#34 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

now they are talking about 2 buyouts per team?

The more the better, right? The more guys dumped into FA just devalues them; supply and demand will bring their cost down.

Edit: Or do you think two buyouts might allow teams to weasel out of too much of their bad contracts and help them too much? Though if the cap does go down to $60-65M, two might not help everyone.

Edited by ATLL765, 03 January 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#35 njd3b1ink

njd3b1ink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Maybe not a buyout but I feel a trade is likely.

#36 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Maybe not a buyout but I feel a trade is likely.

that should have been done a long time ago... they should have blow the team and get good picks cause they really dont have a bright future... but they will wait till its too late and that their top players are not worth too much.

www.SterioDesign.com

#37 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Iginla's their franchise player and I expect him to stay in Calgary his whole career. And even if he's not, he will go to a sexier franchise than NJ for his declining years (which I don't think I want to be a part of - he was brutal at even strength last year)

2 buyouts won't be used by that many teams IMO

#38 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Basically what Tri said. Iginla will stay then go to a team considered a contender so he can get a ring. New Jersey is never considered a contender.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#39 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,504 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

2 buyouts won't be used by that many teams IMO

Rangers were probably complaining it wasn't fair they had to use their first buyout on an AHL player. :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#40 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

How about horcoff as a potential buyout? Saw something on puck daddy today discussing it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users