49 replies to this topic

#1 brodeur14301991

brodeur14301991

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Elliotte Friedman from HNIC tweeted about a new offer the NHL made to the NHLPA it includes a one buyout from each team here is his twitter so you can read more https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNICThis got me thinking about possible players that will get bought out by their respective teams and whether or not the Devils should/would be interested.

1. Vincent Lecavalier- Could play center or wing, I think he would fit on this team. He has a reputation of dogging it sometimes, but Deboer, Lamoriello and CO would not allow that.

2. Dany Heatley- He is a great goal scorer and he could fill the void that Parise left. Him and Ilya on the same line would be dirty

3. Brian Campbell- Soupy is a pretty good offensive defenseman and could help the powerplay.Even though he is sort of old (33) I think he is somebody we should explore on a short term deal.

Those are three names that I came up with, feel free to add more to this list.

Edited by brodeur14301991, 28 December 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#2 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,664 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

As much as I do not like Heatley, he is the most probable and best fit.

#3 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

I think this whole buyout scenario is exactly what Lou was banking on, which is why he didn't make any moves in the offseason. I wouldn't mind seeing Campbell for a year or two, I think he'd be a great fit.

#4 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I can't see Lecavalier or Campbell being bought out - Tampa and Florida have little to gain from an amnesty buyout, they're nowhere near the cap and have no intentions to be close to it. Heatley's another matter - I'd rather try to work out a trade for him, like maybe Volchenkov for Heatley. If he goes UFA I imagine the offers for him will be fast and stupid, and his game is going downhill fast - the idea of having him for any more than the 1.5 years left on his contract would be rather disgusting.

Briere's a guy I think could be bought out on amnesty, although his defense is so weak I can't see New Jersey bringing him in.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#5 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

I think you might be able to add Gaborik to that list. Last time I heard, the Rags were very close to the old cap and still needed to re-sign DelZotto and another D. Although Gaborik is the equivalent of Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punchout, his skill when fully healthy is unreal.
Posted Image

#6 Mayday

Mayday

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

95% chance lou would never take a shot with heatley

#7 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

95% chance lou would never take a shot with heatley

I sure hope so. I would cry if we got Heatley. I think he's a POS for forcing Ottawa's hand, then rejecting a trade to Edmonton.

And this isn't counting the Snyder incident, asking to leave ATL and the fact that I think he's shot as a player. He has no speed anymore

#8 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

I can't see Lecavalier or Campbell being bought out - Tampa and Florida have little to gain from an amnesty buyout, they're nowhere near the cap and have no intentions to be close to it. Heatley's another matter - I'd rather try to work out a trade for him, like maybe Volchenkov for Heatley. If he goes UFA I imagine the offers for him will be fast and stupid, and his game is going downhill fast - the idea of having him for any more than the 1.5 years left on his contract would be rather disgusting.

Briere's a guy I think could be bought out on amnesty, although his defense is so weak I can't see New Jersey bringing him in.

why would we want to throw... somewhat useful pieces and get back an overpaid sniper on the decline again? plus i really want to see the wild fail for awhile and taking Heathley off their hands could only help them.

www.SterioDesign.com

#9 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:19 PM

why would we want to throw... somewhat useful pieces and get back an overpaid sniper on the decline again? plus i really want to see the wild fail for awhile and taking Heathley off their hands could only help them.

Volchenkov is not useful, except on the PK. Plus, we have a surplus on defense.

However, for the reasons I stated above, I'd rather get someone else

#10 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Because Volchenkov will soon be expendable and if we want Heatley post-buy out you know some stupid GM will throw 4 years/24 million at him, rather than paying him 5 million + whatever's left of this season (6m)...and ridding us of a troublesome contract.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

I think you might be able to add Gaborik to that list. Last time I heard, the Rags were very close to the old cap and still needed to re-sign DelZotto and another D. Although Gaborik is the equivalent of Glass Joe from Mike Tyson's Punchout, his skill when fully healthy is unreal.

Rangers have to amnesty Redden first. Also they're not close to the cap - right now they have $59 million on their books, according to capgeek.

#12 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I don't like Heatley much either, but if we could get him and dump Volchenkov - who while I like him, his contract is probably already a negative and could easily become more of one if he continues to get injured - we're filling a need and ridding ourselves of a potential liability.

#13 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I could see the Flames buying out Bouwmeester... this season + next at $6.8mil per. They do have Iginla as UFA after this upcoming season, and re-signing him would kinda, ya know, be huge for the franchise. Jay-Bo would be highly sought after, obviously, but only a few teams could toss big money at him.

Could see the Canucks buying out Booth, 3 seasons at $4.25mil per. As a buyout candidate, he could be a really nice secondary scoring option for the Devils.

Bruins, yikes, they have a lot of money committed to a lot of players for a lot of years. They'll have to be active on the trading market, like the Blackhawks after winning the Cup.

How quickly do you think the Sabres will buy out Leino? As a depth piece, very attractive option.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#14 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Calgary would buy out Stajan before Bouwmeester, I think - Bouwmeester may not be as good as they thought he'd be, but he still takes up a huge number of minutes on a not-so-strong blueline.

Stajan might not be a horrible option for New Jersey to at least get a look in camp.

I think the 35+ rule goes away in this CBA, so the Bruins might get out from under Tim Thomas. Marc Savard and Nathan Horton are both hurt. They may be okay.

#15 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

theres absolutely no way that the Habs doesnt buy out Gomez

www.SterioDesign.com

#16 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

@TGfireandice: Just to clarify, the 1 compliance buyout per team would come only before 2013-14 season to fit in $60 mil cap -- not before 2012-13 season.
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#17 Brandon

Brandon

Trenton Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

Rags will buyout Redden long before they buyout Gaborik, especially with the NHL trying to get it so certain Minor Leaguers count against the NHL cap. That being sad, it would be hilarious if the Rangers had to get rid of Gaborik because they once again got wide-eyed when they saw a star player available for trade (Nash).
25smul5.png

#18 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Btw, buyouts wouldn't happen now - they'd happen next summer. This year would be played under a 70M cap.

#19 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

Volch needs to be relieved of his contract if possible

#20 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

I'd be surprised if Volch is bought out - surely some team would take him (if the Devils were that desperate to get out of his contract)

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users